Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

How would this affect the stadium plans?

I thought the original discussions was that the interchange was a REQUIREMENT before the stadium was approved and built. ???

Article:

Massive work planned for Boca I-95 interchanges

Published Friday, July 29, 2005 1:00 am
by By Dale M. King

The long-awaited interchange connecting Interstate 95 to Spanish River Boulevard in Boca Raton is still a long way off.

?Realistically, it is eight to 10 years out,? City Manager Leif Ahnell said.

The City Council got an update this week on the status of the project that was designed to funnel traffic from Florida Atlantic University directly to the highway. Currently, students drive to I-95 via Glades Road ? a street plagued by one of the worst traffic gluts in the city.

Craig Miller, a consultant on the project being planned by the Florida Department of Transportation, said the Spanish River interchange will be tied in with several other highway projects over the next few years. All are aimed at raising the capacity of the freeway to handle a major increase in cars.

Miller said I-95 at that location will be widened to 12 lanes ? six in each direction ?
by 2030.

The highway interchanges at Glades Road and Yamato Road will also be changed when the Spanish River connector is put between them.

Yamato Road could prove to be a bigger monkey wrench. Miller explained that the DOT?s standard for distance between highway exits is about two miles. When the Spanish River interchange is installed, it will lie only a few hundred yards from Yamato Road.

According to Miller, the DOT has gotten around that rule by limiting access to interchanges, which means that if a motorist gets on at one interchange, he or she cannot get off at the immediate next exit. He said this was how DOT solved the problem of close-proximity exits on I-95 and Interstate 595 in Fort Lauderdale.

Other roadwork is also coming up, according to Miller, who said DOT wants to do it all at once so roads won?t have to be torn up after they are already fixed.

The DOT consultant said one concept in the works is to widen Glades Road to eight lanes from FAU Boulevard to Butts Road. But that would mean replacing the current bridge over I-95 at the existing interchange.

The current bridge on Spanish River Boulevard just west of FAU is another problem. The city is planning to widen that road, but the bridge will remain as it is. When I-95 is widened to 12 lanes, the bridge will have to be rebuilt and lengthened to reach across that expanse.

Miller said a public workshop on the roadwork will be held in late August at Boca Raton Community High School.

Dale M King can be reached at [email protected].
Back to the top

I think its a step in the right direction, glad to see the that steps are being taken to move foward. Now that there are eyes focused on a new exit it might make the city lighten up about letting us build our stadium.
Back to the top

The city cannot stop us from building the stadium on campus if the off-ramp has not been build, but can limit the amount of traffic coming & going - thus would greatly impact the type of events held at a dome type stadium till the off-ramp has been built.
Back to the top

From all the inside rumblings I've heard, the mayor of Boca has said the Spanish River interchange already is a go. And any progress with the stadium issue will only help the process along.

This will only help the clustermuck at Glades and it will also benefit the T Rex site too.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top
Control functions: