Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Careers...

Add topic

I thought I'd drop some general discussion since the board has seemed slow these past couple of days.

Just curious as to what everyone's careers are, are you doing what you wanted to and if not do you like what your doing?

What type of networking do you do and other career related topics?

I'll start and let's see where it goes.

My degree is a B.B.A. in Finance & Real Estate and I currently am a Residential Sales Rep for ADT Security.
Not exactly what I planned on doing but I love every moment as I'm constantly meeting new people and learning something new.

I currently only network through friends and very minimal through the Delray Beach Chamber but am looking to branch out. Used to belong to a cult :o, I mean group, called BNI.

So that's me in a nutshell. If anyone can expand on topics related to this, I think it will be interesting.
Back to the top

Careers...

Careers...

Let me be the first to respond and maybe some others will.

I work for a large fortune 500 company in the Midwest. Archer Daniels Midland. Probably somewhere around #51.

I didn't plan on being here and I very much miss living on the Florida coast. As a matter of fact, prior to moving here 5 year ago, I lived within walking distance of the beach for about 15 years. So I gave up alot to move out here.

Its been an up and down carrier. I worked for a few "dog" companies that were bad choices on my part. This last choice was a good one despite moving out here. I have worked in both public and corporate (private) accounting environments.

I will say though that my education in accounting at FAU did prepare me quite well. I busted my butt to get through that program which at that time had an 80% drop out rate from beginning to end. To just get through the program was an accomplishment let alone get good grades. I have a B.S. in Business Administration with a major in accounting.

I moved back home to north Florida after I graduated from FAU and worked in Jacksonville for a while then moved just over the border to St Simons Island GA for 15 years. I crossed paths with maybe one or two FAU grads at the very most in those years. Lots and lots of UGA and GA Southern grads.

As far as networking. St Simons Island is small so networking was imperative and very very easy. I had quite a network of friends and business associates. Happy hour on Friday many times was an opportunity for making connections. Its an Island and thats what people on Islands do.

Up here, If there is networking, I haven't established much yet. Its a different culture and not what I'm used to. I can't say that about all of the midwest, because I don't know. I can only comment on this city which is very blue collar.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Careers...

I suspect that I may be one of the few members that is neither an alum or student. My son, who is a frequent poster recently graduated and my wife is on staff at the University.

I've been a self employed Real Estate Appraiser for the last 12 years. This career follows 12 years at IBM as a Facilities Engineer and 10 years with a National Builder.

I graduated from a community college in New York so I have sympathy for what Coach S is trying to do hear in Boca. Except for a Brooklyn Bridge (the Band not the Bridge) concert, I don't think I ever attended an extra-curricular event at my alma mata.

My current gig does come with some good bennies, no health or pension plan, but a flexible schedule so I can attend football practice.

Hope you enjoy the picture, nice to see them hitting again.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Careers...

I graduated from FAU just a few years ago, and currently I'm in the middle of my 3rd year of medical school based out of Nova Southeastern University. I will become a Family Medicine Physician that also knows how to do everything a chiropractor can do. First pay check coming in July of 2007. :'( :P
Back to the top

Careers...

Nice touch to the boards Old Owl, If you get a chance to post more I'm sure the readers would enjoy them.
Back to the top

Careers...

looks like 59 is going to pick up the garbage can and chuck it at someone, lol.
Back to the top
Control functions: