Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sporting News preview

Sporting News preview

Sorry, couldn't find the link but here's the important stuff from their Sun Belt preview:

"… Howard Schnellenberger's fire and brimstone attitude at Florida Atlantic is fun and all, and more times than not it translates to solid teams. But what happens when he's directing a team gutted by graduation? Last in the Sun Belt - which, of course, means No.119 in the nation - is no way to go through life…"

That's right, another pre-season No.119. Here's their Top 5:
1. USC
2. Tennessee
3. Ohio State
4. Virginia Tech
5. Texas

… and their Bottom 5 (or so):
114: Central Florida (had to throw them in)
115: Western Michigan
116: Idaho
117: Buffalo
118: FIU
119: Florida Atlantic

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top
Quote post (#167328)

Sporting News preview

What source did you get this from? Sounds like a real jerk. I sure hope and I certainly envision Schnellenberger and his (mostly) new troops causing more of an uproar than anyone gives FAU credit for. It is nice being the underdog when you have the opportunity and seize it to prove them all wrong! Personally, I think FAU gets such low scores (119) because they are new and so the statistics and team reviewers do not know where to plug them in as far their ranking. Yes, the team has mostly new players but that doesn't mean they're going to all roll over and let other teams sweep the field.
Back to the top
Quote post (#167330)

Sporting News preview

I think we are scored so low because we have such a young team. Hardly any of our players have had a chance to show what they can do against other teams. With out knowing who the standout players are its tough to rank a team, so rather play it safe and rank us low then rank us high. I think they have a right to place us at the bottom since there is no real way to review whatr we have until we hit the field against other teams.
Back to the top
Quote post (#167331)

Sporting News preview

I completely agree... better to rank low the newcomers because nobody knows what FAU or FIU can bring to the table in full D-IA scheduling as we have never seen such competitive scenarios as we are scheduled to face this year. I just state it to make all us fans realize that FAU and FIU are ranked low not as a complete insult to our being THAT bad but because there is no past to really prove anything for either school. However, as a sidenote ... some schools (like those with 0-11 records) may deserve their low rankings as they have been playing for more years in D-IA and have records (sometimes brutally bad ones) trailing them. lol :)
Back to the top
Quote post (#167333)
Control functions: