Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Marching Band is Working Hard

My daughter, who's in the FAU marching band, reports the musicians are working hard to make the games and other Owl events entertaining.

The Marching Owls have been rehearsing and playing for most of the day, each day this week in preparation for FanFest and other upcoming events.

The band plans varied halftime shows for each game, and will give pre- and post-game performances.

To start the game, band members will line up playing in two rows as Howard Schnellenberger and the team strut between them out onto the field.

My daughter said the band is small but the players and the sound are very good. The drumline is reportedly excellent.

Unfortunately, many of the 100-plus expected players have not yet shown up (maybe fearing the lack of funding and problems of the past?).

But they missed out. The new band director is excited about forming a new I-A program and even plans to take the band to some away games (eventually) and to the New Orleans Bowl.

Band members got FAU polo and T-shirts and new (real band) uniforms have been ordered. The band was told that if it appears that the uni's cannot arrive in time for the first game, a donor will fly a plane to the site of the uniform company and pick them up.

Each band member is getting a $600 scholarship.

New members are still welcome to join the band. Please spread the word to any and all students. The band director said he is planning for a 200-member band in a couple of years.

This year, he said, the band will play constantly during the North Texas game. The goal: To be the loud 12th player.

The band was also told it might have its own practice area inside the dome, whose site was reportedly visited recently by construction professionals.

Look for a spirited Marching Owls band this season.
Back to the top

I can't wait to see them in REAL band uniforms! I'm sure they would rather be wearing the cooler uniforms of before but there is just something about having the traditional uniforms that will make us seem like we really are in the big leagues. ;D
Back to the top

good to hear. I'm looking forward to hearing them too.

What kind of numbers are they working with now?

I'm sure after a year under their hat's they will be legit
Back to the top

Though some may disagree, I for one will miss the "Football in Paradise" uniforms. The Jimmy Buffet shirts and flip flops, though designed for economy, were quite original and certainly made the program stand out. I agree with Owlcoholic that the new unies will mark our passage to the big time, however, there's much to be said for originality. In any event, glad to see the new band is working hard and I welcome their joining the program. Can't wait to hear their rendition of the fight song. Hoot Hoot
Back to the top

WHAAAA HOOOOO!!

My marching band is ready (and without the cavalary no less ;D).

I'm heading to the Fan Fest tomorrow with the kids, I hope I get to see the band play and the dance/cheer taem shake it all about. DOH!!! The wife is coming too….

I'm really glad we got the band going, its all I could talk about 6 months ago…
Back to the top

I like the North Texas plan and a band can be a big 12th player from the simple fact the energy flows through the crowd. They to will grow and be seen in the big parades and events that will get the FAU name out to public. This is pretty exciting.

Will they be on the official site like the dance team and cheerleaders???
Back to the top

I think the band members will miss wearing the Tommy Bahama type uniforms. I actually prefer them to traditional uniforms as well.
Back to the top

I think the band souned great and loud for the amount of members!! The leaders are very enthusiastic. Thanks you guys! ;D & gals
Back to the top

Hey BMarkey, you can be very proud of your daughter and the rest of those kids they did a helova job and sounded much bigger in size than they actually were. Hats off to them and the staff great job keep cranking out the sounds. Hey there just like that little Owl small but mighty!!!
Back to the top

Thanks, folks.

My daughter - who pretty much hated band during her last two years of high school (due to very poor leadership and director turnover) - loves college band. She says the players are dedicated, have fun and are into promoting FAU. They even plan to go through the dorms and literally drag students to pep rallies, games and other events throughout the season.

The new director is getting them enthused about starting new traditions.

Look for a Sun-Sentinel article on the band soon. A reporter was interviewing people at FanFest today.

As for the numbers, there were probably around 40 people there today. I got there too late to see the performance, but was told it was relatively loud and pretty good for a small band that just formed on Wednesday!

Officials are still hoping for 100-plus members. Anyone who can play/march can still join. Spread the word!

BTW, those fan lawn signs are a good idea. Maybe they will bring some new people in our neighborhoods to the games. New fans can be cultivated.
Back to the top
Control functions: