Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Did you guys see this Hutton Article?

I mean its fairly accurate but why does he have to hate so much? :P

15 questions about the FAU Owls

By Ted Hutton
Sun-Sentinel
Posted August 25 2005

1. I am Owl fan, and I'm ready for Year Five. FAU went 9-3 last year, so I guess I should make reservations for the New Orleans Bowl since the owls are going to win the Sun Belt, right?

Your optimism is infectious, Owl fan, and your naivete is endearing. Your Owls are indeed full-fledged members of Division I-A and now with the big boys. And yes, FAU is in the Sun Belt, joining Florida International as new members. And, yes, winning the Sun Belt would put them into the New Orleans Bowl, but, alas, that's not going to happen.

2. Oh yeah? One thing I've learned is never underestimate the Owls. Division I-AA playoffs in 2003 and wins over three I-A teams last year. So why won't the owls be the best team in the mediocre Sun Belt?

Because the Owls are as green as grass in the spring. FAU lost 26 seniors, many with extensive playing time, including the quarterback, running backs, wide receivers, and huge chunks of the offensive and defensive lines. So this is a young, untested team facing the toughest schedule the young program, led by coach Howard Schnellenberger, right, has put together. Survival will be the goal, not the Sun Belt title.

3. Green? This is our fifth season. How could the Owls be green?

This year is what happens when you build a team with freshmen. The first recruiting class was all redshirts, and then supplemented with the second, so all those first- and second-year freshmen who built the program ran out of eligibility last season. The result is this year's rookie-infested team.

4. OK, OK. THEY're young. But look, the Sun Belt ain't exactly the SEC or Big 12, right? So why can't we dream?

Dream away, but prepare for a nightmare. The Sun Belt is the easiest part of FAU's schedule. FAU opens at Kansas, hosts Oklahoma State, then travels to Minnesota and Louisville, plus the seven Sun Belt games. And don't forget, FAU lost to two Sun Belt teams last year, both at home. The Owls went 3-2 in Sun Belt games last year when they had experience on their side.

5. Tell me more about the Sun Belt. Who are the teams to watch out for?

Well, so far, there has been just one, and that is North Texas, which has won three consecutive titles and lost just one regular-season conference game during that stretch. The Mean Green feature two top running backs and are favored to win again this year.

6. Didn't the Owls beat North Texas last year?

Indeed, the Owls sneaked into Denton in the second game of the season and came away with 20-13 win. North Texas started the season 0-4, then won seven consecutive Sun Belt games for the title. FAU will not sneak up on the Mean Green this season.

7. Any other heavy hitters in the Sun Belt?

Troy, which has beaten FAU twice already, should compete for the title. The Trojans knocked off Missouri last year in a big upset and have built a solid program. In a couple years, FAU, FIU, North Texas and Troy should be the top teams in the conference.

8. I hear FAU gets some face time on TV this year. That's good, right?

Sure, though the debut could be tough, since FAU hosts Oklahoma State at Dolphins Stadium on Sept. 8, a game that will be broadcast nationally on ESPN2. The cameras will avoid the stands, which hopefully will be at least a quarter full, and the action on the field could be ugly, since the Owls will be in a monumental mismatch. Cameras will be at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale Sept. 22 when FAU hosts Louisiana-Monroe in an ESPNU game, and ESPN Plus will broadcast the Oct. 6 game at Louisiana-Lafayette.

9. There have got to be some bright points for this team, right?

The defensive secondary looks to be solid, especially at corners, where seniors Willie Hughley and Lawrence Gordon will be anchored. Leading tackler Shomari Earls is back at middle linebacker. Let's see … Nope, that's it.

10. Oh, come on, what about the offense? Quarterback Danny Embick has learned a lot the past two years as backup and done well when he was given a chance.

Yes and yes. Embick, below left, has learned a lot and he has done well in his appearances. But this is a team sport, and with an undersized and inexperienced offensive line, and new running back and receivers, Embick could be Dan Marino in his prime and still have trouble.

11. Anyone else?

No. Well, OK, maybe tight end Dantson Dareus. The senior has an NFL-type body, and shown flashes of greatness, but injuries have haunted him and he has yet to go through a season healthy.

12. That's it?

Fullback Aaron Sanchez could have a big year, but that depends on the line being able to open holes, so that is iffy. Sanchez is a decent pass catcher and at 6 feet, 225 pounds can pound the ball.

13. Sorry I asked. Let's just get to the bottom line. What will the Owls' record be? Can they be above .500?

Sorry, but no. Figure 2-9 for the Owls, and that is being optimistic. The Owls could realistically be underdogs in every game. Yes, that means FIU will be favored in this year's Shula Bowl, since the Golden Panthers will have the edge in experience this year. Wins are going to be tough to come by.

14. Yikes. You're kidding, right?

Sorry. This will be a long year. The payback should begin to be seen in 2006, and then blossom in 2007, when the youngsters are up to speed and the program has the proper balance of upperclassmen and rookies.

15. So until then, what?

Well, you could encourage more fans to show up at games. The NCAA loosened the attendance rules, but FAU still needs to average 15,000 in attendance once every two years to stay in Division I-A, and the Owls have not done that once in its first four seasons.
Back to the top

Why when I read what Hutton rights bashing our team does it always sound like regurgitation (sp?) and nothing new? It seems like us on the forum here seem to find out a bit more about the players, their development and what is going on in general.

Most of what he has said is accurate to a degree.

I believe, from some reports, that North Texas and Troy are not consensus picks for the Sun Belt, but MTSU, correct me if I'm wrong. Obviously North Texas would be the favorite after winning the title 3+ consecutive times.

I'd love to know where Nancy Negativity went to school, as that may be a major reason for his view towards The Owls.
Back to the top

He slithers around the Oxley looking for sound bites. Nothing worth reporting in that piece. Like you said, he didn't say anything which we didn't already know AND discussed on this board. He knows nothing about the newcomers and the Sun Belt teams. How many general college football games have he covered BEFORE FAU came into existence? Of that number, how many were Sunbelt games? He's probably just reading and rewriting someone else's reports.

We are his bread and butter folks!
Back to the top

I find his stories to be boring and they are not worth getting angry over. I'm sure he would much rather cover Miami, Florida or FSU. So his being PO'd at his superiors and taking it out on FAU is to be expected.
They had a writer that did that with U of M when they were on the skids and when the Coach S tyrned it around the readers were constantly bashing this dude. Because all of a sudden he was the Canes man on the scene. Just Remember this clown and when he drags his butt around in the very near future THANK HIM FOR HIS POSITIVE SUPPORT
Back to the top

Expect more of the same early part of the season - questioning why we have Kansas, Ok. St., Minnesota & Louisville on the schedule - hopefully all this negative crap can be used by the played for motivation to prove these nay-sayers wrong. The players have 2002 on their minds and I believe they will try their darnest to not let that happen again (Louisville will be one of those games that will be hard to wacth and FAU will get a lot of crap from the media).

This guy is probably salivating with a chance to take his shot all season long and could be joined by his better half - the twit.

May be a good idea to develop thick skin for the up coming season.

Back to the top

He writes all his stuff in the oxley center, im suprised people actually talk to him there. Maybe if they started saying, "Hey Ted why dont you write some positive stuff" he might.
Back to the top

You know, regardless of its accuracy, his whole tone of writing that article kind of makes me feel he is toying with us Owl fans from that fiasco at the begining of the year when we mass e-mailed him and his supervisors about his overly negative articels… remember?

I bet he's trying to envoke a response again… that little @#$%!!
Back to the top

Ya gotta try and ignore s%$#@ like him and wait his day will come.
Back to the top

someone should start the "Ted Hutton sucks" chant at the OSU game.... it would be funny if he included that in his artical
Back to the top

That WOULD be funny, I'm in for the chant…. ;D
Back to the top
Control functions: