Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

O line

O line

I just looked at the results of the game on the FAU web site. I looked at the starting offensive line. The smallest guy weighs 270 but is 6'7'' the biggest is 329. The avg weight of the line that played Sat is 295 lbs. I kept reading all pre season the the FAU O-line is one of the smallest in Div-1a.

Is that still true? Were those statements made based on last years stats? Are the other teams line that much bigger?

I know I am way up here in the arctic circle and away from things down there in paradise. Would someone shed some light for me on the Owls O line. Do they just need more experience as a line?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

O line

There was an article this last week on one of the Freshy's that was interesting and a post from a couple of month's back I believe Bytor put together comparing SC's O-line to FAU's. I 'll try to find the post but here is the link from last week.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2005/09/01/a10c_fau_0901.html

Depth Chart does'nt look to shabby. IMO experience hurt but its nothing they won't fix for sure. It is obvious these youngsters are hungry.
Back to the top

O line

Thanks Talon,

Interestingly enough, according to the article in your post, Kansas' line avgs 294. As I said above, the FAU line, with the people that played Sat, avg 295 according to the weights on the roster.

As I see it, the FAU line is right there with other colleges in terms of size.

So if it is just experience they need, that will come.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

O line

I feel the exact same way. This team is very young but the kids that were here from last year and back, understand what has been going on and what has been accomplished to date. The Older Earls, Parker, etc. will continue to influence these guys and by next year, this group will be setting up the conduit for the future recruiting classes and there should not be any large voids (last years seniors). You have got to hand it to everybody in the program for getting these guys ready. The pump has been primed and the water takes a little time to get flowing but it will.

These young guys have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, but learn from this and continue moving forward. There day will come and it may be sooner than later. GO OWLS
Back to the top

O line

I posted the comparison on the O-lines a while back. A distant reporter had misleading info on the potential offensive starters. I looked up the SoCal roster and compared ours to theirs. We were either heavier or tied with their size on the O-Line. Some positions we were heavier but I don't remember the avg weight.

It's all about experience at this point.
Back to the top

O line

I think weight is an overrated stat anyway…..if you have been taught proper technique, a weight difference won't make much of a difference.
Back to the top

O line

Some coaches prefer smaller quicker O-linemen anyway. Especially when they run traps and roll outs like the West Coast offenses.
Back to the top

O line

It comes down to expereince - the more experience DL from Kansas was just to much to handle for the entire game, but the guys did a good jod for the most part.

The OL now understands where they stand and what they need to continue to work on to improve - playing these bigger programs will increase the learning curve and they will start to benefit sooner rather then later.

As the season goes on the OL will be solid, IMO.
Back to the top
Control functions: