Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kansas Roadtrip Review

Plane Ticket $170, Rental Car $50, Hotel $50, Watching FAU scare the s**t out of Kansas…Priceless.
I just wanted to write a quick review of my trip to Kansas as I know not many went to the game. Got to Kansas City at 10am and ended up getting to Lawrence about 12:30. Very hot day, not a lot of fans around and a very small city. Seems like they really do like basketball alot more.
I wanted to really soak up the the pre-game tail gating festivities, so i bought a 32oz Miller Lite and a 24oz Bass and walked around drinking it out of a coke cup from a gas station, gotta fool those cops. The fans were really friendly, if i had done a survey probably only .001% had heard of FAU. I was very disapointed in the turnout once i found the FAU hospitality tent. Total number of FAU fans, less than 50. Average age, 68. I think myself, my girlfriend, Jared Allen and his fiancee were the only ones under 40. Once inside the stadium we were dwarfed in our section as we were so small, ended up moving acrooos two sections. Did anyone see our section on TV? I'm sure you've all seen the game so i wont give a review. but i think there were loads of questionable calls in the second half, and that Kansas were terrible. The game was ours for the taking. After the game i received no abuse from opposing fans which was a pleasant surprise. I just hope that next year in Clemson we have a lot more traveling fans.
Back to the top

Kansas Roadtrip Review

As one of the old-timers (age 57, FAU Class of 1969) alluded to in the previous post, please allow me to say that I, too, was disappointed that more student-age people didn't make the trip for the game. I would question the average age of 68 cited in the earlier post. But it probably wasn't more than a decade or decade and a half lower than that. It could have been even lower, however, because of the number of players' parents who attended (what a nice bunch of folks….). They would have brought the average age downward, if it matters. Personally, I'm delighted to see fans of any age supporting the team and I am glad the previous poster made it.

The goal, it seems to me, is (as was mentioned in a different thread on this board): Get as many students (and others) as possible to the Oklahoma State game, as well as other home games.

Then, perhaps, someone can work with a travel agency to develop some kind of group discount price for a package to an away game – and get someone (anyone, actually) to promote it. I may be naive, but I think that once people discover how much fun it is to attend away games, they might come back for more.

Also: Thanks big time to the Alumni Association for lugging along a suitcase full of FAU logo gear. I spent plenty, and so did some others.

A final thing: The Owls have 11 games scheduled for the 2006 season. The NCAA allows 12 that year. Does anyone have an idea about whether FAU is seeking a 12th game and, if so, against whom?
Back to the top

Kansas Roadtrip Review

good points gray owl. I probably exagerated a little bit on the age average, i was just venting my frustrations at the lack of student attendence. I agree that if the students just went on a road trip once, it wouldn't be their last. My fist major roadtrip was to Auburn back in '99 for a ucf game and i've been addicted to them ever since. Its great to see all the different college towns and what they have to offer.
Back to the top

Kansas Roadtrip Review

Hey, no offense taken. I, too, was lamenting the lack of student enthusiasm for a good, old-fashioned road trip. In truth, we don't have enough alums going to the games, either. I heard that the Alumni Association made an effort before the Kansas game to contact alums (at least those for whom they had addresses) within a 200-mile radius of Lawrence to alert them about the event. Sadly, that didn't seem to yield much, either. I certainly am open to other ideas. Are there any alums we know of in the areas near other away sites this year? Perhaps we could enlist their help in trying to stir up interest.

Like you, I am frustrated by the lack of interest.
Back to the top

Kansas Roadtrip Review

Hey, When the team came up to play Illinois State and Eastern Illinois, I was there. Either game was only an hour away from me. I was considering driving to the Drake University game a couple years ago but couldn't get away that weekend. That drive is a bit further.

I really wish any of the alumni in areas near the away games would attend. You never get too old to do these things. If you think you're too old, then you probably are, what ever your age is. Its a lot of fun and a chance to see other FAU alumni.

When I went to the EIU game, there was a crew that charted a plane up from FL. I was really excited to see them all the way up here. I had no idea at that time there would be anyone from FAU at that game. My only thought was that other alumni living in the area MIGHT be there. My wife is NOT a football fan but she came along for the experience. It was fun.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Kansas Roadtrip Review

Kansas Roadtrip Review

I happen to work with a few "older" FAU alumni and I am doing my best to get them fired up about football. Whenever I try to discuss the football team with them I always get the same reply: "you know, when I went to FAU, they didn't even have a Football team." They are non-traditional students, like most of the alumni pre-2000, things will start to look up soon. Give it a few years.

And what's wrong with the students at FAU? There is nothing more fun than tailgating at a different school! Go on a Road Trip!!!
Back to the top

Kansas Roadtrip Review

I too was at the KU game and as a student was disapointed to see 2 maybe 3 FAU fans that were also students. We have got to get something going to build up the local fan support.
Back to the top

Kansas Roadtrip Review

I graduated Dec 80. So my last qtr there, fall 1980, the baseball team was on campus for the first time. That was the beginning of it all. There was no football when I was their either. But when I got the news that a program was starting, I couldn't have been more excited.

But then again, I lived on campus at FAU. I went to the concerts, played intramurals, got drunk at the Rat, spent the night in the women's dorm on the weekend, etc. The 1000 + or - that lived on campus at that time might be classified more as traditional students.

Those of us that lived on campus stuck real close together. I'm not even sure what was going on with everyone else, who you might call non traditional. I took a few night classes so I know many of the students were attending at night after work.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: