Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sentinel Gopher article: Maroney

DL Savidge has the attitude of most freshmen. They don't know or don't care. The "don't care" will carry you a long way in this game. Mano-mano.

I also say that they missed Maroney's true weight by about 19 biscuits.. ;D

Article:
Read On:

Gophers pose challenge for Owls

By Ted Hutton
Staff Writer
Posted September 14 2005

BOCA RATON ? The scouting report was a bit underwhelming.

"He's pretty big and looks like a good athlete," Florida Atlantic defensive lineman Josh Savidge said when asked about Minnesota running back Laurence Maroney.

But Savidge can be forgiven. He is a true freshman preparing for his third college game, so he hasn't accumulated much context yet.

Not the case for FAU defensive coordinator Kirk Hoza, who understands what a threat Maroney and Minnesota's power running game are to FAU's young defense.

"Best back we have ever faced, no question," Hoza said. "Best offensive line we have faced, no question."

Add those up, and Minnesota presents the "greatest challenge we have had," Hoza said. "We have our hands full, there is no way to slice it different."

Maroney, a 5-foot-11, 210-pound junior, was the Big Ten Freshman of the Year in 2003 after rushing for 1,121 yards. He was Big Ten First Team last year, rushing for 1,348 yards.

Maroney comes into Saturday night's game in Minneapolis as a legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate after averaging 168 yards per game and 7.1 yards per carry in his first two games.

"Maroney is not only exceptionally fast, once he gets in the open field he can make you miss or run right over you," Hoza said.

Maroney had touchdown runs of 73 and 67 yards in the Golden Gophers' season opener at Tulsa, and one for 32 yards last week against Colorado State.

Complicating factors for the Owls' defensive line, which has three freshmen and a sophomore with an average weight of 253 pounds, is the fact that they will be going against an offensive line that averages 290 pounds and is anchored by three seniors.

But FAU sophomore linebacker Cergile Sincere said he is looking forward to playing against Minnesota and chasing down Maroney.

"I can't say that we will come in and have a win, but I do know it will be a battle. Having a Heisman-type running back will make it more fun and make us play even harder," Sincere said.

Back to the top

Maroney is not huge by any means. He is listed on the U of Minnesota web site as 205.
The guy is from St Louis which is just down the road from me.
Doesn't FAU have some Florida born and raised about that size with more speed?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

On the subject of Maroney, the writer of the below Sporting News article says that he'll get 300 yards against FAU. I seriously doubt that, by the way (I'm a homer, but I also think FAU's defense is too good for that).

http://www.sportingnews.com/experts/matt-hayes/blog/

Back to the top

Maroney is definately bigger than 205. That is his old weight and he did put on around 15 pounds in the off season. I am pretty sure he will give you a performance that is as good as advertised. This guy is absolutely amazing and can break the long TD any time he touches the ball.
Back to the top

There is no question he presents a major problem for us, plus the OL of Minnesota should give our DL all they can handle. I mentioned this in another post, we have not had much success with these type of Power runners and will prove to be a challenge for our young guys.

Keeping him off the field would be ideal, but that will require our offense to control the ball and I'm not conviced winning the time of possesion will be an advantage - however we do need to take care of the Football and not give Minnesota any freebees - they seem to take advantage of any mistakes made by the opposition and we have our recent game with Ok. St. to refresh us what mistakes lead to - points by the opposition. That was our biggets downfall last week and we cannot afford to do the same with a much better team.

The question will be how will the guys hold-up for 60 minutes - this will be the best team we have faced & biggest.

The offense needs to macth the intensity if the Defense.

Go Owls!!
Back to the top

tUSDgopher said

Maroney is definately bigger than 205. That is his old weight and he did put on around 15 pounds in the off season. I am pretty sure he will give you a performance that is as good as advertised. This guy is absolutely amazing and can break the long TD any time he touches the ball.

I know that my ageing eyes decieve me sometimes but looking at him on TV showed more than 200lbs. That's why I made the 19 biscuits(lbs) crack. I'm thinking about 215-220 also.

Will be interesting to see how well the youngsters play against him.
Back to the top
Control functions: