Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Thoughts

I will try to refrain on the should of's and could of's, But

Where do you start, beside the obvious, costly and illed timed penalties :P

The officiating $*cked - at least twice ULM got a huge break on long passing plays holding penalties was so obvious and happen right in front of an official???

The Pinnick penalties - should have never happen, as soon as I was giving Pinnick praise for walking away from the ULM guy - the Ref steps in to break them apart and as Pininck was walking away all he did was lift him arms up and accidentaly hit the Refs hand - it was very unfortunate and very costly - ULM scored.

Even then you can't blame the Refs for this one.

We had our chance early to put the game away and we found a way to give life to ULM. The offense had it's moment, but hurt themselves all night. Danny needs to be more decisive, if you can't find the receiver, tuck it an run. There where times Walker was open for him to dump the ball to, yet he looked like he just couldn't make-up his mind as to what he wanted to do, Pass or do I run it and most times the play never happen.

Find another receiver other then Parker, Mcaghee was open all night and the times he had the ball in his hands made big plays, only they where calls back do to penalties ::)

And why don't we have more set plays to counter the Blitzing - Our first Offensive TD was the best play I have seen us run yet, They totally sold it as as a running play - That was a the best call on Offense all night.

Defensively ??? Why do we continue to play this soft garbage (bent but don't break), why aren't we in the receivers faces and jamming them at the line and disrupting their timming on their routes - we have the speed on the corners why not take advantage. We play better on D when we are agressive and in your face type of D.

The bottom line we need to get better, hungry'er and play with more intensity.

The guys did fight till the end and put themselves with a chance to tie the game, so let's hope the guys keep working hard and improving every week, because they are going to have to work even harder to get that first win under their belt.

Back to the top

Game Thoughts

Bytor, you are a lot more opptimistic than I am. From the pathetic crowd to the horrible play calling, I was truely dissappointed in almost every aspect of this game.

After the Kansas game I became less worried about replacing Jared after Embick looked so money. But last night, honestly, he looked like a freshman. More often than not he would look for his primary receiver, who wasnt open yet, so danny would tuck it and scramble. Like Bytor said, McGahee was open all night as was Porter-Ison (when in the game). The backs were open 90% of the time on flares, Danny just had tunnel vision.

The post pattern was there for the picking all night,a play in the past we have thrived on. But the predictable play calling allowed the defense to send all the dogs on second and long and third and long. A little play-action passing on first down never killed anybody Nord!

LM looked like many of the D1AA teams we have played in the past. I think this loss was really a reality check in where this team is. I am scared to think what Louisville will do to us if their starters play into thye 2nd half. I know Howard wants to look respectable against his former team, but maybe they will have a little mercy on us. :'(
Back to the top

Game Thoughts

Baller07 said

Bytor, you are a lot more opptimistic than I am. From the pathetic crowd to the horrible play calling, I was truely dissappointed in almost every aspect of this game.

After the Kansas game I became less worried about replacing Jared after Embick looked so money. But last night, honestly, he looked like a freshman. More often than not he would look for his primary receiver, who wasnt open yet, so danny would tuck it and scramble. Like Bytor said, McGahee was open all night as was Porter-Ison (when in the game). The backs were open 90% of the time on flares, Danny just had tunnel vision.

The post pattern was there for the picking all night,a play in the past we have thrived on. But the predictable play calling allowed the defense to send all the dogs on second and long and third and long. A little play-action passing on first down never killed anybody Nord!

LM looked like many of the D1AA teams we have played in the past. I think this loss was really a reality check in where this team is. I am scared to think what Louisville will do to us if their starters play into thye 2nd half. I know Howard wants to look respectable against his former team, but maybe they will have a little mercy on us. :'(

That was a tough loss last night. Very winnable game, but our inexperience showed up big time. The most encouraging thing I can take from the game was the fact that our mostly freshman players were right there with LM's more experienced team and had a shot to win or tie the game late in the 4th quarter.

I agree with you about the offense. There were plays there to be made, but for whatever reason, Embick and the rest of the offense didn't see them. I think Embick is a little gun shy knowing that he has so little time to throw. He made some big plays, but also had too many mistakes for a senior QB. His first instinct is to take off and run. I think more play action passes and more time in the shot gun may help.

We knew this season would be a tough one with all of the youth, but you hate to give away a game like that. I give Monroe credit for executing their game plan well and sticking with what was working (we never could figure out that inside hand off), but in reality this game should have been a win. I just hope that the Owls take it as a good learning experience and learn what it atkes to put these teams away.

It's a shame we have Louisville coming up next. It would be nice to see how this team bounced back against another Sun Belt school.
Back to the top

Game Thoughts

It looked early like FAU would run away with the win. The defense gave up too many long plays. Like Bytor said, stop playing so soft in the secondary!!!!! Giving up a first on 3rd and 16 is inexcusable. FAU also gave up 17 yards on a 2nd and 20. C'mon, play some defense. If someone is in your zone, jump on them. The running game is absolutely horrible. Embick needs to look for more receivers. The o-line needs to block. Where was Dareus all night?? If I'm not mistaken he was on the field and he only had one catch. Wasn't he supposed a real stud?? Throw the ball to him. The backs did well when they caught the ball out of the backfield. Use them more. We really got showed up last night. Not what I expected. :(

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Game Thoughts

Some thoughts.

It really appeared neither team was mentally ready to win. The mistakes just killed the Owls. Embick lost the game, but he very well might have won it if the Owls had gotten that last completion (looked like a catch to me) and quick TD. His running literaly kept FAU alive.

ULM's players were pretty small (except for the D-line). I spent a lot of time on their sideline and found myself about the same size (5-11, 200 pounds) as many of them.

The official tailgate parties and BBQs were nice and a good idea by the school and clubs. It's too bad more students and alumni do not participate.

The students really party hard off in the outskirts of the parking lot! Enough said.

Merchandise selections still leave somethign to be desired. I could not find a place to buy an Owls car decal. (Does anyone know any local stores that sell FAU merchandise?)

The Lockhart food vendors (at least those under the stadium) should give Alka-seltzer free with every pizza slice sold. Ugh.

The crowd was mainly up for the game and got loud at times. But it needs to be loud all the time. That said, the fans deserve credit for coming out. It was so depressing to see so few people there. FAU is not my first school and I still enjoy the games. They are great entertainment and can be seen for $7! Seven bucks!

With the Post runnng anti-FAU editorials on a weekly basis now (boycott that paper and tell its advertisers that you are not reading it), and the marketing department about as effective as it counterpart at Troy, I am convinced FAU football is going to have to succeed via word of mouth. People need to drag a fellow student, friend, enemy or family member to a game. They will be hooked.

The Post is so narrow-minded to constantly bash FAU for trying to be a traditional university. What could be wring with giving Palm Beach County a true college atmosphere, and its students a local place to enjoy college life without having to travel hundreds of miles away from home. Somehow, the Post would embrace FAU if it were in downtown West Palm Beach, instead of in Boca, where the Post's circulation numbers are embarrassing.

The band really improved the atmosphere of games this year - especially at lockhart. The fans need to learn the band cheer songs and cheer along. The band teaches it in the tailgate area (great job) before each home game.

The band members and directors are a great bunch who realy care about FAU sports. The band is really trying to improve student support, going from dorm to dorm before each game and playing for the students. Do the professors talk up the games in class? They should. Maybe their bosses need to give them some encouragement. Come on students, get involved in your school and show your support!

So, what happened to Lockhart's "jumbotron"? I know it was an older version, but now it's gone! Just a sign post. Too bad. And can Fort Lauderdale/Broward afford a sound system that has a vlume loud enogh to be heard, and audio quality good enough to allow the playing (and comprehension) of music.

Wht can't ESPN figure out that its cameras are better mounted on the visitors' side and facing the side of the stadoum with peopel in it? On TV, it looked as if no one was there. The network does the same thing at Troy and other venues, making pretty well attended games look bad because the most impressive view of the stadium is not seen by viewers.

Hang in there Owls.

Back to the top

Game Thoughts

Game Thoughts

All of these are some interesting and insightful points of views.

Owls need to pick it up. Quick!
Back to the top

Game Thoughts

The best part of the game was chatting with coach Matt Doherty before the game. ;D
Back to the top

Game Thoughts

what did he have to say? that's the only interesting post today. that game sucked.
Back to the top

Game Thoughts

The post play killed us all night. The WR ran nice little routes just above the LB but beneath the safeties. We never adjusted to that play. Our LB's played conservative from the start. Did we even have one sack from that position?
The D line had little pressure most of the night. Hopefully they are not buying into the early season bragging by DE Pinnick. "This line is more athletic and better than last year's D line". I believe that one of the coaches agreed. Let's see.
Last year's line was: Erv, Jerry, Teddy,Will and Ramon!

These guys can still pick up some momentum for the rest of the SB games. Too bad Louisville is timed for the next game. It would have been interesting to see how the youngsters bounce back.

They need a win to lift their confidence. They will get it together. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
Back to the top

Game Thoughts

Matt talked about recruiting and Fla talent. He did mention going into Jersey and New York for talent. That's good. He won't just automatically give way to the ACC and BE schools for that area.
Back to the top
Control functions: