Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Brief Mention of FAU in Moneypenny's Article

Here's a little blurb from Eric Moneypenny's "Outside the Top 25" Column on Foxsports.com. It's mostly about our neighbors to the south.

"What the Strock?
Florida International (and former Miami Dolphins QB) head coach Don Strock has complied a group of fairly big name coaching assistants, including former 1984 Dan Marino TE Bruce Hardy, Tony "Hook and Lateral" Nathan, 1988 Orange Bowl MVP Bernard Clark, and former NFL All-Pro Leon Searcy.

However, that expertise hasn't translated much on the field yet for the fledgling I-A FIU football program. In a game that caught my eye on my extended cable sports package this weekend, the FIU Panthers got waxed by Arkansas State in their first ever Sun Belt game, turning the ball over SEVEN times in a 66-24 loss. Seven turnovers? That's never good. Especially when they lead to 42 points.

All in all, I feel it's just going to be kind of tough for a program like FIU (or FAU) to build. I know there's a ton of talent in Florida. Unfortunately, there's a ton of I-A programs there now, too. Strock has seemed to surround himself with a good base of coaches though, combining familiar names with fairly prominent former high school coaches from the south Florida area."

Back to the top

I disagree with the assertion that FAU and FIU will have a hard time growing due to the number of 1-A teams in Florida. USF has proven that rapid growth is possible. If FAU or FIU can put together some quality wins over the next few years, the programs will grow by leaps and bounds. Getting top recruits comes with big wins. Just think how the USF win over Louisville will help out their recruiting. Three years from now, both FAU and FIU will be much improved. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

That USF win will also help FAU and FIU. Now Florida recruits will be willing to give the two newer programs a try. USF went through this growing process years ago too. They didn't have the athletes to compete at the level which they play at today. It took time. USF don't have the top tier players on their squad. They have the middle guys who the Big 3 didn't recruit so hard if at all. That's the type of players that FAU will be going after. Eventually down the road, they will battle for the Big3 type of players.

FAU beat Hawaii last year. We can build off of that one for the next couple of years because some of these players were on that team. Realistically I say we will lower the bar for attendance in the near future. We won't have the 30000 fans on a regular basis. But we will have the 15000+ after a few years. But that too will grow.

The FIU / Ark State game confused me. The turnovers were unreal! I thought the seniors would pull everything together this year.You will never see a turnover fest like that again by the players. Sort of like how Louisville played vs USF. How many times will UL play like that?
It's not too late for FIU.

Back to the top
Control functions: