Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

DE Pinnick's ejection status

DE awaits penalty for his ejection
By Marcus Nelson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, September 26, 2005

BOCA RATON ? Watching his team play from the sideline last week was difficult for Florida Atlantic defensive end Josh Pinnick.

Pinnick, who was ejected in the first half of the Owls' 28-21 loss to Louisiana-Monroe on Thursday for making contact with a referee, is worried he may have to do the same thing for a portion of Saturday's game at Louisville.

Pinnick said he thinks he may have to sit out for as much as the first half of this week's matchup with the Cardinals, who dropped from No. 9 to No. 24 after losing to South Florida on Saturday.

"It may have to be four quarters from the suspension, and I was thrown out in the second quarter," said Pinnick, the Owls' best pass rusher. "The worst case would be a half. I think it was punishment enough to have to watch us struggle versus a team like that."

Pinnick was hit with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and ejected after he swung his arm and hit a Sun Belt Conference official because he thought a Louisiana-Monroe player was holding.

Pinnick said the contact with the official was inadvertent.

"It was a hard lesson to deal with and was tough to watch knowing I could have made a difference," Pinnick said. "I just wanted to point something out to him and I touched him. I know it was a mistake, but it was an accident."

The school is looking into what penalties could be assessed by the NCAA or Sun Belt and expects to find out Pinnick's status for the Louisville game early this week. Pinnick could be suspended in the first half vs. Louisville or not at all since his disqualification occurred in the first half of the loss to the Indians.

It's in the Cards: Although most FAU players were off on Saturday because of their Thursday game last week, many Owls didn't or couldn't watch Louisville's 45-14 loss to South Florida in its entirety.

"I saw it, but I wasn't focusing on it," FAU senior receiver Thomas Parker said. "It was interesting, because they were the No. 9 team in the nation and they were playing South Florida. But they should have been thinking they were Southern Cal. I guess you can't underestimate anybody."

Coaches began watching tape of the Cardinals' loss Sunday night, and players will study the tapes today and Tuesday.

Back to the top

Although no contact is allowed with an official, it sounds like an honest mistake on his part. It depends on how the official write up the report also. If he states that Josh was aggressive toward him and touched him then the penalty will be worse. In this case it looks like the general agreement is a mistake on Josh's part.

Maybe they'll accept the Monroe game as the punishment. But I have seen the full game(4qtrs) penalty assigned before too.
Back to the top

Anything new on this?
Back to the top

I haven't heard anything yet.
Back to the top
Control functions: