Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

No-one should be surprised

Today wasn't that disappointing overall. I was pleasantly surprised with our first-half performance, but I knew at some point someone was gonna break a big play and that would be the floodgates opening.

Even the commentators today were ripping Nord's play-calling. They said we should just forget the play fake because Embick had no time as it was. Our o-line did the best they can, but they were boys against men. Things will be different the rest of the year in regards to quality of opponents, so I don't think we need to be too drastic in our changes just yet.

To all those who wanted McKinson to have a bigger role this year, I hope you realized after today's game that he needs this year on the bench. He looked like a high school player out there today. Ok, he has athletic talent, but our playbook isn't suited towards him yet and he still looks lost all the time. He panics every time he gets a snap.

On positive notes, Charles Pierre looked solid today. I think he may have overtaken DiIvory as our #1. He just runs with more purpose than Edgecomb. Plus he hides behind our o-line he's so tiny! Good to see Dantson and Darrion get some catches. Also, sweet field goal by Kennard! I though we'd snuck on Myers for a second there.

I look at this game as the end of our first 'season'. Now we get into our second 'season'. We can concentrate on playing games we know we have a chance to win, rather than just using games as practice, ULM being the exception. We have a short week to get ready for ULL, but I think we'll be ok.

Back to the top

All I can say is, I really wish this wasn't Embick's last year. :( Could you imagine him behind a more seasoned O-line?
Back to the top

I have to honestly say that I like what I saw in the 1st half. The 2nd half was the usual breakdowns for whatever reasons.

The kids are gonna be OK.

As for Souverain, I'll say it again. He will not get the starting job next year. Not just his anxiety behind center and can't relax. Just that Coach is Old school(pro style pocket passer) and the Mich State QB is his prototype player.
Back to the top

Would be nice, but it ain't gonna happen. I hope Danny isn't aching too bad tomorrow morning.

Anyone see how long Petrino kept his starters in? Plus he was still blitzing when up 40 points. That's ridiculous. Only that kneel-down in the last 2 minutes saved me from writing Mr. Petrino a nasty letter.
Back to the top

Clayton actually looked okay today….he's a big kid. Showed some poise when he fumbled the snap (for the first of two/three times) and actually managed to gain a couple of yards.
Back to the top

Souverain just looked like a scared little boy out there. He is quick but way too small and couldn't even throw over the defenders to the screen pass recipient.

That third-stringer looked pretty solid. He is big, solid and has a shotgun arm.

Needed badly: O- and D-linemen!

Back to the top

My comments about the QB's are not based on any inside info. Just observation like all of us on the board. I could be very wrong.

Knowing the system which is in place at FAU, I was suprised when Souverain was recruited. I don't know but maybe he should look at switching position during the spring. Clayton does have a nice arm along with good size.
Back to the top

I agree with you O.G Clayton looks relaxed, has a good arm and shows pretty good composure. You may have a very valid point about Souverain but I also believe he will be a dual threat in a year.

Back to the top

Souverain should be on special teams, and that's it, although our kick/punt return teams are so useless, that he'd probably be shut down anyway.
Back to the top

I also agree that Souverain will not be a starter next year, Clayton has continue to improve since spring ball and has shown good poise, even thought he mis-handle the snap a couple of times he remained composed enough under the pressure he was put under. And we have a pretty good QB just waiting for an opportunity, IMO will be better then both Allen or Embick.

I do believe that Embick will be fine the rest of the way and should be more effective, I thought he did a much better job yesterday under extreme pressure, he stood in there and made better decisions - thumbs up!!

The kids did great yesterday and the second half UL where just relentless and shown just how much work both Lines need to work, the experinece they are getting will be of great value next season. It can be rather fustration for the young guys, but are showing good poise in standing tall even under extreme conditions.

Why did we stop doing what was working on offense in the first half ??? Makes no sense what so ever and why didn't we run that little bubble screen more then once, it was a positive play on the first drive, yet we keep goint to plays that are netting us zero or negetaive yards over and over ??? Totally mind boggling - do we even have a coach getting a birds eye view of the game, if so is he paying attention to the game or the cheerleaders ???

Give these kids the support they need under these very thought conditions - please.

Back to the top
Control functions: