Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Need some info re: Ft. Lauderdale

Give me some good "non-chain" restaurants…….I have been to Ft. Lauderdale 2 or 3 times, and we've hit the outdoor "mall" on the strip that has Sloppy Joes, and we've eaten at several places at Lauderdale by the Sea.

Some good Cuban food would be great.

What is the entertainment district (the one where a lot of the nightlife is, including several neat restaurants) called and do you have any recommendations for that area?

We are staying in Weston on Friday and Saturday, and headed to Key West on Sunday.

We are planning to go to the Everglades early on Saturday or Sunday.

Also, we would like to go to the Dry Tortugas in Key West, but it looks like over $100 a pop to go out there. I would almost rather spend my money on a charter board to go fishing. Any ideas?

Places I've eaten in Key West– A&B Lobster House, and another place over by the marina area (Iguana's or something similar).

Any rec's for fishing?? Last time in Key West we used a boat called Fish Busters, and it was the worst experience I've ever had "deep" sea fishing.
Back to the top

owlcoholic said

It depends on your age but the major entertainment district in FT. Lauderdale is 2nd Street and Riverfront. The age range is generally 20s to 30s although more youngsters come out the later it gets to "cruise".
If you are looking for a more mature crowd (mid 30s +) then check out Las Olas Blvd. Lots of good resturants and a few upscale bars.
Keep in mind that if you are staying in Weston, you will be about a 15-20 minute drive east to the downtown during the weekend. I believe that Weston has its own "entertainment district" out there if you are concerned about D and D.
What kind of age group and "scene" are you into? It would make it easier to give you guidance.

Las Olas Blvd. is the area I'm talking about. I'm looking for places where local folks eat. Not tourist traps.

I'm not big on the $75 meals either. Been there and done that. For instance, Emeril's restaurant in New Orleans isn't half as good as the Acme Oyster House and their $5 PoBoy sandwiches.

My wife has been to the Polynesian place in Ft. Lauderdale where they do the shows, etc. She was not that impressed with it.

Hope to meet some of you folk before the game. We should be there tailgating by noon or so.
Back to the top

Go to the Mai Kai…its not a chain, and its great.
www.maikai.com
It costs to watch the show, but you could also get a table out in the polynesian gardens.
Back to the top

I'm with you owlcoholic, not a big fan of the MaiKai.

If they are already down in Ft. Lauderdale they should go to Le Tub right on the intracostal and Griffin. It's an absolute hole but GQ voted it the best burger in the United States this year. They hype has died down now so you can actually get a table there, but don't expect the service to be very good, I guess that's part of the charm of the place. And while you are down there, go to Jai Alai (you can bet on it while drinking massive 2 dollar beers)!!! Like nothing you have ever done in Tennessee, I promise you that! Then go to Jackson's Ice Cream for dessert, it's all right in Dania! What a way to spend a Friday night.
Back to the top

My $.02
Skip Mikai - if you want to go and get a drink - rum barels are great, other than that stay away from the food.

Downtowner - food is not good at at all, they are a catering hall and its basically leftover wedding food, nice atmosphere good for a drink on the river…

Le tub is great !!!
Caynon is Great !! - get the quesadia – amazing

If you want a classy cuban place with great atmosphere - go to Samba Room on Las Olas, its a little pricy, but welcome to south florida, great place - i love it, great eye candy as well..

if you want the best sandwhich u need to go to Laspadas in Lauderdale by the sea, they are huge and the line is out the door, great for hangovers or a day at the beach – A++++

The keys - u will spend over $500 on a charter for a day + key west the fishing isnt as good as key largo / islamorada. In Key west u have to run 30+ miles to get to deep water and the bigger fish, i fish alot and unless u run towards the tourtugas i dont think it will be fun

The best resturants in key west are A&B and Louis backyard, i usually hit 1 of them every time i go down.

Key west is a big party - bar to bar just hit duval and grab a drink and keep walking - irish kevins, fat tuesdays, sloppy joes…

if you want a chill place to relax during the day - u have to hit Monty's - its a pool / bar with tv's - nice hangout spot - not gay or if you want the shock of your life hit atlantic shores - its clothing optional and very gay.

FYI - look for the real world cast - they were all over the place on Labor day….

Peyton
Back to the top

These are some GREAT suggestions guys! I have to put these names/places in my personal Google food/party folder for when I come down.

Thanks!
Back to the top

I'll second some of Peyton77's suggestions!

Argentinian skirt steak at Samba Room is up there with one of the best steaks I've ever had! It's so big it actually hangs off the plate! I highly recommend.

And…Laspadas! I grew up with Laspada's in Coral Springs (it's a local chain for you out of towners) but it is the greatest sub you will ever have!

Key West: Saturday night, be sure to hit Irish Kevin's, the guy that plays guitar there on Saturday nights is a legend in Key West and he's a riot too. Well worth it.
And on your way down, I like to hit Islamorada Fish Co. (on Islamorada) to sit on the dock and have an Islamorada Fish Sandwich. Very fresh and a nice stop in your journey down to key west.

Enjoy your stay!
Back to the top

For fishing in the keys, try to stay away from Key West. The best fishing is in the middle keys. I know a few guides down there, but they generally fish during tarpon season. If you aren't dead set on Key West, I say give Islamorada Key a shot. I have found it to be some of the best fishing in the keys. A number og very good guides run out of the marina there. You can find both inshore and offshore fishing. Stay away from the flashy promotional booths in Key West, they tend to be expensive and usually don't put you on too many fish. Good luck, let me know how the fishing is. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Yeah, buy the guitar player at Irish Kevin's a Guinness and watch him slam it through a straw… Complete alcoholics down there lol

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Thanks, FAU fans. Some very good rec's.

Where is Schnellie's place?

BTW, We're staying at some place called "The Reach Resort" in Key West, near the Truman WhiteHouse, I think.

I'm definitely going to try some of the Cuban food. My goal is to gain at least 5 pounds in Florida. We shall see.

A number of us will be tailgating at the game, so come by and say hello. We have several players' parents and diehards, along with some former MT players who now reside in Florida.

e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll give you my cell phone number if you want to come meet a few of us

We plan to tailgate as close to the stadium as we can.
Back to the top
Control functions: