Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Is Saban the next Spurrier?

Lot's of dollars to a winning college coach who's job it is to transform an underachieving(?) pro team into a winner?

Probably won't last too long and need to get back to his "teaching" where athletes still listen to their coach?
Back to the top

Spurrier walked into a really bad situation in Washington, with very little control over the personnel he wanted, which kind of goes against logic really, if the GM and Coach can't be on the same page nothing good can come out of the situation.

As far as Saban, he also inherented a crappy team with not much room to move existing players. He needs a couple of years to turn things around - do you blame the coaches for the mental mistake that these suppose highly paid PROFESSIONALS are making, these are players that have been around long enough that it just doesn't make sense - these are the players that need to be place at the side of the curb for garbage pick-up on Saturday mornings, which would leave only enough player that they would have to play double duty (high school days).

The Dolphins have made so many bad move in the past several years, that now they are paying the price for them. IMO, they should have kept Fielder and recruited a QB to groom for three years, instead they went and got Feeley & this guy Ferrote which about amount to what you had before in Fielder, who by the way did an ok job with the Offense, granted the guy wasn't a big play maker, then again he didn't have big play maker as receivers or RB either. The Defense is now OLD and must be rebuild - this team need help all over the place.

:P
Back to the top

I like Saban myself and I think he will get things turned around. It takes a couple of years and I know some of us remember the Fins when the Don came on board it took some time but nobody paid any attention to that expansion team from the south. One thing I agree with that Bytor said that the GM and coach have to be on the same page. The fins will miss a (IMO) a coach that can get it done. I also agree that it is time for some of these older guys to cash it in. Go out on the high note and let some of these younger guys step in.
Back to the top

I never have heard him speak about leaving. Just wondering if he'll feel like he can't get anywhere with this team and just want out.

The GM definitely have to be behind these guys.
Back to the top

One very big difference between Spurrier and Saban…Saban will put in the effort and amount of hours needed. He'll get this turned around…looks like he has made some very good picks with his first draft.
Back to the top
Control functions: