Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Where do we go from here?

That loss was terrible. It is the type of thing that can really break a team. The defense has to really be heartbroken after a loss like that. They held up their end of the bargain and the offense did nothing. How do you hold a team to 0 points in regulation and lose??? NO offensive production is the answer. To their credit, ASU played great defense as well. This loss comes down to the offense. What looked bad early in the season only looks worse now. Some changes need to be made to salvage anything from this season. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Hopefully, the team will take charge in the last three games and finish with a winning SBC record. Go Owls!
Back to the top

I have to admit that I have been thinking about next year, what with Embick graduating. I realize that the team as a whole is going to be older and more experienced, so that's obviously a plus, but with quarterback being the most important position on the team, I have been wondering about his replacement. Is Sean Clayton a probable starter, or is Souverain good enough to start? I haven't had the chance to see either play, so I was just curious. Has anybody had the chance to see either of them (at all, practice, etc.)? Have either of them played this season at all, and if not, maybe it's time they got some playing time in anticipation of next year.
Back to the top

Owlfan1 I agree and know something isn't clicking on offense but what? Your statement "What looked bad early in the season only looks worse now." was in all the papers and quoted by everyone under the sun. How about Put your thoughts on what changes you think should be made.

Personally, I agree with Linbackerfau, the back ups need to start getting valuable reps in the last part of this season. IMO that is how you salvage this season, time to see how these other QB's work with the rest of the starters then you evaluate the other players on Offense. You build a team around your QB and it takes a while for them to become a team. That part comes when everyone is turning the pages at the same time the same way, when one thinks like all and all think like one. This is a very very difficult thing to do and the Pipe will figure it out along with his staff.

Danny has had a tuff year and a lot on his shoulders but so has the rest of these kids but these same kids are growing up I watched some film last night and it is amazing how fast and how well they do after a season -
If you have the right coach's and FAU does and I believe they have heart win or loose. Look for the kid with heart and he will fight to the bitter end and do it again and eventually he will prevail. Not just Offense or Defense but the TEAM.
Back to the top

Talon, I wasn't trying to quote any paper or comment made by anyone else. Those are my own sentiments. Anytime a team loses 3-0 in overtime, it is time to make some serious changes. If we had lost 28-7, I wouldn't necessarily feel the same way. However, when a defense lays it all on the field and the offense does nothing, it is very sad. With that off of my chest, here are some suggestions for turning this thing around or at least trying to straighten it out.

#1 Get Clayton in the game. He brings a different style to the game and he has all the tools to be a very good QB.

#2 Mix up the offense, let it all hang out on the field. Drop the predictability and go for broke. Hell, put McKinson in the slot and run some WR screens or line him up at RB in the shotgun, give him a direct snap and let him throw the ball.

#3 Blitz, blitz, and more blitz. Play with reckless abandon on defense or do what they did last week to hold ASU to 0 points in regulation ;)

#4 Get a new mentality. The goals now need to be redemption and to play the spoiler. Play with nothing to lose and only respect to gain.

I hope this satisfies the need for some suggestions along with my previously vented frustration. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

As hard as a lost like ASU is to bare, the kids know that they have to get better and I don't see these kids giving-up - they hate to lose and are competitors with huge hearts - The offense may just be putting additional pressure on themselves to preform and could be one reason why some of those very catcheable balls are dropped, plus lack of focus at the most opportune times.

Adjustments do need to be made, then again that is a constant neccessity during any game or season for that matter. What is important is not to make any major changes and what the coaches have game plans and a system they are trying to get the kids to buy into, major changes goes against the core of what the coaches preach. The biggest problem comes down to mistakes and lack of execution ( way to many dropped passes that are very catchesable balls, miss blocking assignments, bad snaps all part of execution).

Danny had to shoulder a huge responsibility and has done what he can do under conditions that are not ideal. This is still a total team effort and the players realize that they have assigments they need to do and must improve at every level.

Is it the game plan that is faulted or the lack of execution the culprit - maybe a little of both. I do agree that we need to blitz more, especially on third and long.
We just have to let the kids get knock down a bit and learn the hard way - kids have a way of wanting to learn things the hard way.

IMO, it would be a big mistake and huge disservice to the kids if the coaches did any radical changes - it would go against what the coaches are trying to teach these kids - from the foundamentals to the system the coaches have in place - everyone must buy into it regardless of outcome. All these tough lessons they are learning will pay-out huge benefits next season, unfortunately it won't be present so much this season.
Back to the top

Ideally, I would just like to see the backup quarterback take over for one series, kind of like Louisville did with Brohm coming in for Lefors last year. This would possibly help to avoid those inevitable early season losses due to quarterback inexperience next year. But then, I realize that the coaches probably don't have a number one guy for next year like Louisville did with Brohm, and that position will be up for grabs.
Back to the top

Below is next year's schedule. The players will have to step up real fast to avoid another o'fer start.

Sep 2, at S. Carolina
Sep 9, at Clemson
Sep 16, at Oklahoma State
Sep 23, at Kansas State
Sep 30, at Louisiana-Monroe*
Oct 14, LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE*
Oct 28, ARKANSAS STATE*
Nov 4, at Middle Tennessee*
Nov 11, TROY*
Nov 18, at North Texas*
Nov 25, FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL*
Back to the top