Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

OWLS Football expectations on course?

Not too long ago, some of us had the grimmest outlook for this team. We never really expected anything along the lines of competing for the SunBelt. Some of us had the youngsters winning 2 maybe 3 games. Some may have even had them winning 5 or 6. But realistically we knew that they would struggle with the new OC, O-Line, RB's, WR's, TE, K, D-Line,LB's and DB's. Notice that all areas are involved.

Now we have to look back on why(if) that outlook has changed regarding the team. Was it the decent showing in some of the OOC games? Did that give us false hope in the SunBelt conference? Should the Sunbelt have been a cake walk because of those games? If we look at most of the conference losses we can find youthful mistakes which occurred in certain positions. Some of us knew that mistakes would cost us in some games. Even may attribute to the loss(es). That brings us right back to where we started from in the summer when most of us realized that FAU would have some growing pains this year. INEXPERIENCE.

We've all touched on this subject one way or another over the past several games. I just wanted to put it in perspective and maybe there's other reasons out there on why some of us may have changed our expectations.
Back to the top

OG, I guess one of the biggest reasons people may have been expecting better results out of the Owls is no one wants to see the team lose. Thats just a matter of fact.

I think another reason is the team experienced success very early in its history. I think people expected that to continue even with all the news articles predicting a dismal season soley because of the graduation of almost all the starting players. I think alot of us thought that wouldn't matter. The winning would continue. We were in denial.

All of us including myself want to see this football team succeed. And as I stated above, watching them lose is tough.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I came into this season with no expectations really…..I didn't know what to expect with all these new players who had barely seen the field until this season. I think overall it's been an okay season in some parts, not so good in others. Embick has been a bit of a disappointment (except for the Kansas game), as has Dareus, Hughley and Simeon. I know he's only a freshman, but Simeon was hyped as the next big thing, and he hasn't done much to impress me so far. I'm not even going to discuss BJ Manley….what a waste. On the positive side, the o-line has improved throughout the season, Charles Pierre has been a pleasant surprise, as has Porter-Isom on occasion, although he really only had that one big game. We should be 2-2 in conference, and that would have put us in with a chance of winning the thing, as everyone else apart from ULM seems to be beating each other up. We would be in a tie for second place if we had beaten ASU!! I just hope Schnelly puts Clayton in a bit more in the next few weeks, as it's obvious he's the future of this program for the next few years.
Back to the top

I know I really didn't know what to expect from this team other then inconsistancies which have been proven to be true on both sides of the ball. I do think how this team handled themselves in the OOC games with Kansas and Ok. St. gave all of us hope for a potentially good season especially in the SBC in general - again the key word here is POTENTIAL for a good season. I looked at how Ok. St gave a scare to Texas over the weekend and reminisce on how we played Ok. St. in our home opener and how the season has developed and the POTENTIAL this team has for the next two year will give us something to Hoot about.

Everything we are seeing from this team are correctable mistakes as the youngsters get more comfortable in the system and learn all the proper assingments and asjustments - the learning curve will occur during the off season - this will be a very solid team in two years, a team to be reckoned with. They have learned some invaluable lessons this season and as competitors are sometimes tough to shallow in the moment, but the off season should help to bring them to understand them better and learn from them.

Yes, we are tough on the youngster after losses, but I do think that we just want to see these kids at their best , doing their best and every time they step on the field, I suppose that is what they are doing, their best and I do believe the players hate the lossing more then the fans, but also understand where they are as a team better then the fans do.

The best that the fans can do especially in our last game with North Texas is to stay to the very end of the games and give the players a well deserve appreciation for a great year, not as far as wins, but for effort they have given and shown - they have shown heart and so should the fans.

Go Owls!!
Back to the top

I guess some of us maybe had a false sense of hope, myself included. I really thought that this team would pull an upset in one of the two games of the year. I guess once they played so close with Kansas and basically self-destructed against OSU, but stayed in the game despite all of the errors, I thought this team would have a good showing in the SunBelt. This year is a rebuilding year and hopefully these young guys will take the experience from this season and turn it into some wins next year. The worst part about this season is the 3-0 loss in overtime. That is a real kick in the ding-ding if you know what I mean. It is a difficult way to lose. With that in mind, the season can still be salvaged with a big win against FIU and another Shula Bowl trophy for FAU. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I'd say the OOC games had all of our hopes up. I surely changed my outlook after the decent showings. But very slowly the truth started creeping back into my fantasy season.. :D
Plus like Ghostof….said, there are some vets who didn't step up like they should have. That makes it a little tougher to swallow.

I still see another win or two this year.. ;D

Let's Go Owls!!!!!
Back to the top

O.G. it also put more pressure on an already full load bunch of guys. I agree a little more help could have easily made a difference in some cases but it was'nt everything. Bytor also made a few very good points and I believe these kids have grown up a ton. This next off season and spring should be a good measuring stick for next year.
Back to the top

Embick has been a bit of a disappointment (except for the Kansas game),
So Danny is supposed to overcome no offensive line and lazy ass recievers. let's see –2seconds to throw or run or break 5 tackles so you can throw the ball away!!!!
Danny can't even throw the ball without someone hitting his arm !!! Danny is the ONLY offense we have and it's pretty easy for the other coaches to gameplan for this sorry a$$ excuse for an offense!! Your comment is assinine%%%%% Your football inteligence is showing!
Back to the top

As much as I like Embick as a competitor, I must agree with GhostofBuchanan and say that he has been much of a disappointment this year. As I followed the Kansas game via gametracker I thought this kid was unbelievable but as I have seen him in person I realize that his first instinct is to run the ball. First of all, even when he has time he immediately runs outside. Second of all, when he has time to throw the ball, he isnt a very accurate passer. Third of all, once he starts to run he doesnt even look for open recievers down field. Now, that being said, I have to give the guy a lot of credit. He has fought very hard and has taken his share of licks but I still think that he has been a dissapointment. In my opinion, the two losses that we have in conference should have been wins and I am going to put the brunt of the loss on Embicks shoulders. He is the center of the offense and crucial turnovers and poor mistakes have cost us those games. I am however very pleased with the efforts given by Thomas Paker and Casey McGahee. I think they come to play every day. I am dissapointed in Simeon and havent really seen anything that has made me think he is good. I think a couple of the redshirts this year may get some decent playing time next year. That kid Cortez Gent looks like he is going to be a good one. I am also impressed by the defense. I think that Cergile Sincere and Andre Clark look like they will be playmakers and I think that the defense as a unit is starting to play better as a whole. I am excited about where this team's future is going. We will just have to wait and see how bad they want it.
Back to the top

Next year should be our year to reign supreme in the Sun Belt....I said that at the beginning of this year and still believe it. With what our guys went through this year, next year should be fine.
Back to the top
Control functions: