Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

NT Game to be Moved

FAU stadium not ready for use
By Marcus Nelson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

BOCA RATON ? Damage to Lockhart Stadium sustained during Hurricane Wilma will force Florida Atlantic to change either the location or the date of its scheduled Nov. 12 home game against North Texas, the stadium's manager said.

Three light poles were knocked down and there was severe damage to the stadium's scoreboards and the press box.

"If the question is 'Will the stadium will be ready on Nov. 12?' the answer is absolutely not," stadium manager Mike Roland said Tuesday.

A structural engineer will examine the stadium lthis week.

FAU and North Texas could play Dec. 3, extending each team's season by a week.

Roland is confident the stadium could be ready by then.

FAU Athletic Director Craig Angelos said several athletic department officials toured the stadium Tuesday.

Angelos said an option is to play at another facility, but as of Tuesday afternoon he had not made any inquiries as to what stadiums would be available.

The most logical choice would be a move to Dolphins Stadium, where FAU played Oklahoma State this season.

The Dolphins are scheduled to play Buffalo on Dec. 4 at Dolphins Stadium, but the stadium can easily host events on back-to-back days. Last season, FAU played FIU and the Dolphins faced the Bills the next day.

Another factor in the decision is the use of Lockhart's parking areas as a staging area for FPL and other utility companies. The utility crews could be there until Nov. 23, which makes rescheduling the game for Nov. 19 ? when both FAU and North Texas have an open date ? unlikely.

I just hope they get any information out in time for people to rearrange their plans and actually make it to the game. As far as attendance requirements, isn't this game going to be a very important one? (Not that it isn't important otherwise :o)
Back to the top

NT Game to be Moved

I would really hate to see us play at Dolphin stadium with nobody in the stands - if we do why no limit tickets sells to certain sections of both sidelines and bring everyone closer together - instead of pushing and spreading people in the end-zones or corners for that matter - IMO, would help create a better atmosphere.

Back to the top

NT Game to be Moved

Exactly: no matter how many tickets are sold/people show up, funnel everyone down toward the field.

I'm really hoping that students turn out in large numbers to support the "home team" no matter where/when this game is played.
Back to the top

NT Game to be Moved

ANY HEADS UP ON THIS IS APPRECIATED. I'M FLYING IN FOR THIS GAME WITH ANOTHER ALUM AND GIRLFRIENDS FOR THE GAME. TICKETS, AIRFARE, HOTEL, CAR RENTAL ARE ALREADY PAID FOR.
Back to the top

NT Game to be Moved

Exit39,

I suggest that you stay in touch with the athletic office directly for this one. This way you may get info ASAP before it's published and make your changes accordingly.

AS soon as anyone hear anything we'll post it too.

Contact Shelley Binegar at 561-297-0408 or [email protected].

Good luck
Back to the top

NT Game to be Moved

I just got a message from the ticket office that the game is on the original day it was scheduled for at 1pm at Dolphins Stadium. Free parking and $4 tickets available.
Back to the top

NT Game to be Moved

NT Game to be Moved

Thanks. I'll post a direct message thread keep it near the top till next week.
Back to the top
Control functions: