Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Owls and Panthers proving they belong

Posted on Mon, Nov. 07, 2005

GOLDEN PANTHERS/OWLS

FIU, FAU proving they belong in Sun Belt

BY PETE PELEGRIN

[email protected]

Before Florida International's landmark 31-29 win – its first Division I and Sun Belt victory – at Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday, the Golden Panthers' toughest opponent the past two games had been themselves.

FIU had 13 turnovers in its two losses against North Texas and Troy. Despite the miscues, the Golden Panthers still had a late chance to win each game. Instead, they lost by a total of eight points.

Saturday, however, versus Sun Belt leader Louisiana-Monroe, FIU (2-5, 1-3 Sun Belt) had just one turnover and forced the Indians (3-5, 3-1) into two fumbles and one interception, which the Golden Panthers turned into 14 points.

Another reason FIU broke through was the use of the shotgun on offense.

After insisting in the past there were too many factors that could lead to disaster with the shotgun, coach Don Strock inserted the formation in the second half Saturday and saw his Golden Panthers offense take control.

''We changed things up a bit, and it worked out pretty much the way we hoped it would,'' Strock said. ``We scored a couple of quick touchdowns and got ourselves really ahead in the game. And we had other opportunities. But this was a great win. Anytime you win on the road, against a conference opponent, it's a big win.''

The victory might be the tail wind that carries FIU into its final four games against Louisiana-Lafayette, Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic and Middle Tennessee.

''This builds confidence,'' Strock said. ``They know we can come back and win a football game. We hung in there, tooth and nail. The offensive line blocked very well; the shotgun helps a little bit. Maybe it caught them a little off guard, and it certainly helped us. I'm happy for the players.''

Not as happy on Saturday was Florida Atlantic (1-8, 1-5 Sun Belt), which fell to Troy 28-14, after leading the host Trojans 14-7 into the third quarter.

Troy defensive back Adrian Ghent's interception in the third quarter seized the momentum from the Owls and awoke the Trojans offense, which scored 21 unanswered points. The win moved Troy (4-5, 3-2) to within a half-game of conference leader Louisiana-Monroe.

It was the second consecutive week the Owls hung tough with a conference heavy, but came up short.

''Troy is a good football team,'' FAU coach Howard Schnellenberger said. ``Playing like we did against them proves we can play in this league.''

Back to the top

The interesting thing about this article is the timing. I've seen some vicious comments from this guy regarding both teams. Now would be his chance to rub it in with only a 2 games left for the season. Instead he gives us props on how well we're playing without having the intended results of winning.

FAU and FIU will have a saying in who wins the SB title in the near future.
Back to the top

Oh Yes. Many in the Sun Belt have been dismissing both our programs, yet our teams will most likely, be in the middle of things, as far as who will win the conference .

Things are getting pretty interesting in the SBC race.
Back to the top

To try and put this in perspective. UM,FSU and UF are constant winners. USF is newer to the game but it looks like the Big East will be in their sights also. UCF seems to be turning things around in C-USA. Florida talent.
Now looking at our two programs in the Sun Belt conference. This is not a knock but realistically we should be doing the same in a few years but on a lower scale. Who's to say that we can't compete on this level?

Florida football. Same athletic pool. Same type of football climate. Two good coaches who can get it done.
Back to the top

BUT the one glaring difference between FAU, in particular, and these other schools (including FIU) is FAU's stadium is a JOKE! Lockhart Stadium looks like it should be condemned… Noone understands the speaker system for play-calling nor the music that is played as it all sounds like gobbledegunk! I have friends and family who say they could understand the plays called at a high school football stadium over 40 years ago MUCH better than anything played over the loudspeaker at Lockhart…

Of course, FAU is looking into a "Carrier Dome-esque" Dome situation that will rival the best in this state: 40,000 seats in a luxury dome! Very nice! BUT VERY LENGTHY WAIT will come first especially if we wait until the I-95 interchange to FAU is built. I am very hopeful for FAU as we all are and pray that they get this dome ball rolling SOON. All the fans, recruits, current players, and coaches are hanging on by a thread to see this dome fall into place nicely and if it snaps off and doesn't pan out or takes too long to materialize it's not gonna be pretty.

Lockhart is all but done with – that city doesn't want it there anymore and now it is badly damaged! We needed a move to separate from there earlier than this and obviously we will likely need the move by NEXT SEASON! Let's cross our fingers and toes that this dome idea can take off flying soon and get BUILT or IN THE PROCESS OF BUILDING.
Back to the top

If something isn't done soon I think the program will suffer tremendously. This will be a very large set back for a young program and may even be fatal. Not trying to be a downer but if you look at other programs including our rivals to the south they have a stadium that can be enlarged with little effort.

Most 1AA schools have there own stadium on campus. IMO the draw for talent will be tuff to say the least. Add a dismal season building or not — not good not good at all.

You can sell the pipe only so long (which most of these kids don't know him at all and Nord doesn't have the name.

Sorry guys that is my take and if the boys driving the ship don't make a move and start turning dirt it is going to be very difficult.

As far as the I-95 thing that is pure 100% BULL
Back to the top

A good coach can turn a football program around. Look what Spurrier did to Duke. I have a feeling there are no Spurrier fans here, but, let me tell you, when Spurrier took over at UF, life became much easier for me while I was living in GA. So I like Spurrier.

The coach has to have things to want to make good football player come to that college. Playing the home games at a small, rundown, municipal high school football/soccer stadium in another county would not excite me much if I were being recruited. If I thought the university wasn't taking this very seriously, I wouldn't bother. If FAU is going to do this right, they need to make the full commitment. They have the coaches in place. Before they start losing them its time to start making some decisions and commitments and break some ground.

There is no reason to do this half a$$. As an alumni I would like to see a quality program. That doesn't mean 11-0 seasons or even a winning season at first. Just a commitment to do it right. The victories will come in time. Everything needs to be in place and that includes a facility (stadium) that everyone can be proud of.

Build it and they will come……….

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

There is no reason to do this half a$$. As an alumni I would like to see a quality program. That doesn't mean 11-0 seasons or even a winning season at first. Just a commitment to do it right. The victories will come in time. Everything needs to be in place and that includes a facility (stadium) that everyone can be proud of.

Build it and they will come……….

That is why they have formed a commity to look over all the proposals that are in place - to do it right. Let's remember one of the reason why we started to play at Dolphin was for the facilities - the bad was that the athletic department over estimated the fan support FAU would get at the beggining of a young program.

Lockhart is a facility that seemed to match our needs at the time and the Athletic department also realizes that it is a temporary solution at best.

From what I am hearing a decision on the dome will not happen till early 2006, again these things take time if you are going to get a project of this magnitude done right. It just may be that a Temp. stadium is build regardless of the dome situation.

Everything these coaches have sold to the players and recruits have come to fruition and I believe that this thing will get done - Rome was not build overnight. These things just take time - it can be hard to sit a wait for things to happen, but let's remain optimistic and keep the faith in the program - the right thing will happen that will benifit this program in the best way possible - the right people are in place and I am sure they are aware of all concerns that everyone here has about the future of this program.

Remember who had the vision in the first place - a wise Old Owl, and he has made the same dreams a reality every where he has been - he has the golden touch.

The dream will live on!!
Back to the top
Control functions: