Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Clayton and Souverain at QB

Day Two for Clayton and Souverain
FAU vs North Texas on Saturday

Nov. 9, 2005

BOCA RATON, FL – The learning process continued for both Sean Clayton and McKinson Souverain during Wednesday's practice at the Tom Oxley Athletic fields. The Florida Atlantic University quarterbacks are both expected to see extensive action this weekend against North Texas.

Clayton is a 6'5" sophomore from Poland, Ohio and is the more experienced of the two. He has seen action in seven of the nine games this season, completing 8-of-15 passes for 96 yards. Souverian, a 6'0" freshman from Delray Beach brings an added dimension with his ability to run.

Senior defensive back Willie Hughely was the star of Wednesday's practice as he recorded two interceptions.

North Texas comes into Saturday's showdown with a 2-6 record, including a 2-2 mark in the Sun Belt Conference. The Owls' new look offense hopes to exploit a Mean Green defense that is ranked last in the conference, giving up 450.5 yards per game.

Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m., Saturday at Dolphins Stadium. Donated tickets are available to the public by calling 1-866-FAU-OWLS and will also be available the day of the game. Parking will be free to all fans.

FAU will continue its preparation tomorrow at 3:00 p.m. on the Tom Oxley Athletic fields
Back to the top

Clayton to start Saturday

By Ted Hutton
Staff Writer
Posted November 9 2005

BOCA RATON ? Together they have completed nine passes for 102 yards in nine games.

Saturday, those numbers will swell as Florida Atlantic (1-8, 1-4 Sun Belt) backup quarterbacks Sean Clayton and McKinson Souverain are forced into prime-time duty, replacing injured senior Danny Embick.

Embick, who broke his thumb in last Saturday's 28-14 loss at Troy and is out for the rest of the season, had completed 120 of 225 passes for 1,531 yards and run for 228 more, representing 68 percent of FAU's total offense.

Clayton, a redshirt sophomore who started the season No. 3 on the depth chart but who has moved ahead of Souverain, will get the start against North Texas (2-6, 2-2). Souverain, a redshirt freshman, is expected to see substantial action.

"I'm going in for a great quarterback. I'm just going to try and make as few mistakes as I can and pick up where [Embick] left off," Clayton said Tuesday.

"It will be a pressure situation. I like that," Souverain said.

North Texas will have to prepare for two dramatically different quarterbacks.

Clayton is a pocket passer, while Souverain, who is one of the fastest players on the team, relies as much on his legs as his arm.

Coach Howard Schnellenberger said FAU will use different offenses depending on which quarterback is in the game.

"Souverain's style is closer to Danny and probably the things we have been doing will carry over better for him," offensive coordinator Gary Nord said.

Clayton came to FAU via Michigan State, where he redshirted his freshman year, working with the tight ends. When he was moved to quarterback in the spring, he decided to transfer since he didn't think he would get much playing time for the Spartans.

Clayton said he approached Tuesday's practice with a different mindset.

"You have to have a whole different attitude when you are going to be in charge of a team," Clayton said.

"I think I've earned their respect."

He is also doing a lot of homework, spending more time watching video than he had before Embick went down.

"[North Texas] is probably going to have to come after me because I am inexperienced. I want to get every angle I can on them and watch as much film and study as much as I can on them," Clayton said.

Back to the top
Control functions: