Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SunBelt Attendance thru 11/13/05

20,030 Troy
18,303 North Texas
17,591 ULL (5)
15,476 Arkansas State
15,473 FIU
14,526 MTSU
14,395 ULM
11,475 FAU
Back to the top

That doesn't look too good. :-[ Isn't that near 2004 avg attendance for FAU? Thank God they changed the rules.

FIU had 15473? I didn't realize their turnout was that good. Wasn't the turnout big for the FAMU game?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

FIU had 16+ for the FAMU game. They may not have a 40,000+ stadium but the one they do have is located on campus. And served the purpose very well this year.

That is a HUGE advantage.
Back to the top

Are all the #'s people in the stands, or tickets sold. I know we have two different numbers, and the 11k is people in the stands (which is still an increase from last year).
Back to the top

O.G. I couldn't agree more, the stadium helps a ton. Students don't have to do anything but fall out of their dorm rooms and roll back in after. That has got to be good for at least 3 to 4 K in a slow day.

While the politics are playing out have a plan "B" (Temp. Stadium) in your hip pocket. If by January it looks like this is going to take longer than anticipated pull out "B" and run. February you can tell the recruits it will have a stadium on campus no later than 2007.

When the "Dome" is built turn the temp over to Track and Field and Soccer. Nothing wasted and if the dome takes 6 years who cares. Get some thing on campus or attendance won't be the only thing sliding. FIU uses the stadium as a big plus for them over FAU. Can't ya just hear it now, "Oh yea, they are getting a stadium but you'll never see it at least we have one NOW". O.K. that might be a little extreme or is it???

Back to the top

Presidents adjust Division I-A football attendance standard
May 9th, 2005
By Gary T. Brown
The NCAA News Email this article

Besides adopting a 12th regular-season game (see story, page 1), the Division I Board of Directors also made football news at its spring meeting with emergency legislation that alleviates pressure on institutions to meet attendance criteria to maintain Division I-A status.

The legislation allows institutions to demonstrate over a rolling two-year period either an average minimum actual attendance of 15,000 for all home football games, or at least one season in which the institution averages a minimum of 15,000 in paid attendance for home games.

The measure provides breathing room for some long-standing Division I-A institutions some people thought were disadvantaged by an attendance criterion in place last year. Those standards required institutions to average at least 15,000 in actual attendance per year. Board members believe the new recommendation still requires institutions to develop their fan bases, which presidents feel is a worthwhile criterion, but it helps those who consider actual attendance to be outside the control of an institution (due to inclement weather, for example) by providing the opportunity to comply through paid attendance once every two years.

The new criterion also continues to distinguish I-A requirements from I-AA standards, something the Division I-AA membership clearly desired.

The new attendance measure becomes effective for the 2005 season, but there won't be an analysis of whether institutions meet the standard until after the 2006 season (because of the two-year rolling period).

Board members took other actions regarding Division I-AA proposals they agreed to consider earlier in conjunction with revising the attendance criterion. One was to adopt emergency legislation allowing Division I-A teams to count one win each year against a Division I-AA opponent for bowl eligibility beginning with the 2005 season. Supporters said this not only provides more incentive for competition between the two subdivisions, but that it probably will increase the number of bowl-eligible I-A teams as well.

Another piece of emergency legislation will allow Division I-A institutions to use one game each year against a Division I-AA opponent to satisfy the home-game scheduling requirement for I-A membership (for 2005, four home games; for 2006 and thereafter, five).

While those measures were adopted before the Board acted on the 12-game proposal, the subsequent adoption of the 12th game complemented both I-AA proposals.

Back to the top

FIU's attendance is competitively lined up with half the conferences' attendance - FAU's is falling VERY short…

We NEED a stadium on-campus NOW not 10 years from NOW if we are to compete at this level! FIU is already going to be recruiting better players if we can't step-up our on-campus stadium process and give it a good kick in the pants! We all know it to be true - players like fans and recognition and playing AGAINST teams like UM if they don't make it into UM! FIU is finding more glory more quickly … they have one of the better looking stadiums in our conference. WE NEED TO BE COMPETITIVE AND LOCKHART IS NOT THE WAY!!! Brogan, Schnellenberger, Doherty – it all needs to come together quicker or two of these names may fall off this list of high-profile people sooner than expected. :(
Back to the top
Control functions: