Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

effect on recruiting

After a severe beat down by our main rival in the recruiting process, what does everybody think the impact of this game will be? This could set us back a couple of years IMO.
Back to the top

effect on recruiting

It may have a small effect, but it won't set us back years. It swing a recruit or two, but do you really want a player that will decide his future on one game?
Back to the top

effect on recruiting

the main thing is….. FIU is going to go through a similiar phase that we went through this year. The players are going to more talented than they were the first season but are going to be very inexperienced. FAU is going to say they will have pretty much all returning players and are also going to be able to say that recruits will get lots of playing time. That is what is going to work in favor of FIU as well. The one thing that works in FAU's favor is the schedule. I mean, we are opening up with Clemson and South Carolina this year. Those two programs showed this year that they are capable of playing with some very good programs. It will be at an advantage for FAU to say they play those calibur of programs. Players that don't get to play in ACC or SEC conferences will at least get to play some of the teams from those conferences. None the less, FAU still holds a 3-1 record against FIU and I guess last nights loss is that for the butt whoopin FAU baseball put on FIU last year.
Back to the top

effect on recruiting

I do agree with you that we will go through similar "growing pains" next year as you went this year with your team. However, our schedule will be at least as demanding as FAU's next season and beyond as well. In my opinion….a wash. FIU plays Alabama, Maryland, USF, and Miami next year. We play Penn State, Miami, and Kansas in 2007. We also have Iowa, and South Florida so far slated for 2008, and Alabama and Florida for 2009.
Back to the top

effect on recruiting

Schedules from both schools are equally strong in my opinion. For these two programs to become successful they have to be or you could slip back.
Back to the top

effect on recruiting

I dont know about next year but this year our schedule was much stronger. UK, OSU, UL, and MINN their toughest I think may have been Arkansas State.
Back to the top

effect on recruiting

effect on recruiting

FAU will not lose any recruits based on this game. The main factors for recruits are national TV face time and BCS schedules. Keeping things in perspective, both teams are lacking in that department.
When will they get a shot at playing is also high on their list. Both can offer their opins on that one. So it comes down to coaches and "playing close to home" angle. Both recruits the Miami/Dade area very hard. Kids from Miami/Dade goes to FAU and kids from Palm Beach County goes to FIU.
FAU should be up and running again next year with the returning players. Kids still want to play for Howard Schnellingberger. His legacy still can sway recruits from a lot of coaches. The man is known to produce winners. Look at Joe Pa from Penn State. His team looked awful last year and before. Recruits STILL went there anyway. Now look what happen a year later! He have some very good freshmen and sophomores on that team.

Besides I'd have to agree with fauowls44. I wouldn't want anyone who wanted to come to FAU because we won the Shula Bowl. Does that mean they're also satisfied with a 1-10 record?

There are a lot of factors which goes into a recruits decision but I wouldn't say that winning a rivalry trophy will be the deciding factor for these schools.

Back to the top

effect on recruiting

I think the win, in combination with a home stadium and better record (possibly 5-6 with a win next week against MTSU) will sway some of the local recruits towards FIU.

Seems to me we might want to at least consider going down the JUCO route for a few key positions because I have my doubts that some of the players, even with another year of experience, will produce at the 1-A level…
Back to the top

effect on recruiting

Forgive my ignorace, because I don't know too much about recruiting - and I don't want this to sound flame worthy either. I am a student at FAU - currently - so I am not in any way badmouthing my own school. But does FAU really have enough of a draw to students outside the immediate South Florida area that the outcome of this one game could really affect it's chances?

What I mean to say is, that students competing on the FAU/FIU level aren't looking seriously at careers within the NFL - realistically. I'm not saying that it isn't possible - but it just seems that if the talent, drive, and ability were there, they would be at a bigger school with an established program - not a commuter school with a program 5 years young. Thus, I would imagine that the players - dedicated as they are (and really, at the very least our QBs were dedicated this year, after all the hits they swallowed) - are also giving a serious look to the curriculum and programs the schools offer - not so much wether they won the Shula Bowl or not.
Back to the top

effect on recruiting

That is probably true. Recruits take a number of things into consideration before making a decision and most don't base it on one game. There are the select few local kids who don't have the talent to play at one of the big three and really want to stay near home for whatever reason. That makes FAU and FIU the choices. For 1 in 100, the win might become a factor but for most it doesn't matter. However, you can bet that FIU will try to use it as a selling point for all of their recruits. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: