Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Future Success at the 1-A Level

I'm interested in knowing the board's opinion on where you see the program in 5 years.

For me, a best case scenerio would be something similiar to USF, with us joining C-USA/Big East and going to a bowl game or become a Fresno State type team that competes with the big boys. Worst case I see us languishing in the Sun Belt with at most 4-6 wins a year.

To be honest, I am probably of the minority opinion that we should have remained in 1-AA longer and built a strong program, like Marshall or Boise State did before they moved up. I really think there is a market for a 1-AA program in South Florida and plenty of players (and transfers) that would have made us a powerhouse (and pissed off the people on the anygivensaturday.com board!). I just dont think we can compete right now in recruiting against many 1-A programs without a stadium or tradition.

I'll continue to follow the Owls regardless of what happens in the future but hope we dont fall into the trap of most other mid-major programs (taking a few annual beatings by major programs and hoping to finish over .500)
Back to the top

geoowl said

I'm interested in knowing the board's opinion on where you see the program in 5 years.

For me, a best case scenerio would be something similiar to USF, with us joining C-USA/Big East and going to a bowl game or become a Fresno State type team that competes with the big boys. Worst case I see us languishing in the Sun Belt with at most 4-6 wins a year.

To be honest, I am probably of the minority opinion that we should have remained in 1-AA longer and built a strong program, like Marshall or Boise State did before they moved up. I really think there is a market for a 1-AA program in South Florida and plenty of players (and transfers) that would have made us a powerhouse (and pissed off the people on the anygivensaturday.com board!). I just dont think we can compete right now in recruiting against many 1-A programs without a stadium or tradition.

I'll continue to follow the Owls regardless of what happens in the future but hope we dont fall into the trap of most other mid-major programs (taking a few annual beatings by major programs and hoping to finish over .500)

I agree with you. I too wish they could have stayed I-AA a few more years. I really believe that we would have at least been in the championship game last year had we been allowed to compete. However, there was an opportunity to move up and they had to jump at it.

In 5 years, obviously, being in the same position that USF is in would be best. I think a lot has to do with the stadium on campus. The only way we will be able to get to the level we want is to be playing on campus in our own stadium. If we are still in Lockahart or Dolphins Stadium, I don't see us as anything more than the 4-6 worst case scenerio you mentioned.
Back to the top

the minority is growing as i too felt the team should have remained in 1AA. USF made a remarkable transition, something i feel will be extremely difficult to duplicate. before making the move to 1A, i strongly felt FAU should have tried to transition from a commuter school to a resident/on campus school. build a temporary (erector set) stadium such as FIU's on campus and then make the move to 1A.

However, we are now in 1A, and in 5 years i see the program struggling to find an identity. I believe that in 5 years both FAU and FIU will be the class of the Sun Belt but at least in FAU's case, struggling to increase its fan base. i have always been a firm believer in an on campus stadium, but after saturday's debacle, i know it is imperative to our success.
Back to the top

I listened to the FIU broadcast of the game (only way I could get it for free here in Colorado), and I was as disappointed as most. (For the record, the FIU announcers really were gloating homers.)

I don't think the performance in that game should get Owl fans down. New programs fall into ravines such as this from time to time. The team went into the year knowing it would be a tough season, and it was. The real key at this point is to evaluate the returning talent, its upside potential and recruiting prospects. Then, a straightforward assessment of where the biggest needs are should offer a clue about whether to go for relatively quick fixes (the juco route) or to show continued patience (recruiting and in-house development).

I know that some 1A coaches don't care for the juco route. But some others really have learned to work that system, particularly the California schools. Research will show this to be true. In the end, I'm betting on Coach Schnellenberger, one of the wisest around, to give the right guidance.

Next year's schedule, particularly the opening onslaught, looks pretty scary….
Back to the top

I agree Grayowl, in no way should we be down about this season it was a tremendous change for this young program. FSU got beat by UF 37-7. It happens but you get on with it. I-AA thing is history look forward. I believe these kids were tired they were out of gas. That was a lot for these guys and I really think they wanted to beat FIU but more they wanted it over. Start looking at next season but I really believe that we need a stadium NOW if they can build a dome by 07 great if not build something else So. GA type UCF type just put the shovel in the ground and build something. IMO that is the next big stumbling block for the future.
Back to the top

That D1-AA suggestion sounds like something I wrote about 2 years ago. My mind has changed drastically since seeing what we're capable of doing. I am a strong proponent for D1-AA football in Florida. I also would like to see JUCO ball in Florida. The kids need somewhere to go and still be close to home vs the Midwest and West JUCO schools.

From an on field football product standpoint:
There can be no denying that we can't play with anyone in the SunBelt. We also went out and beat Hawaii,MTSU and UNT on the road! Some of these guys were on that team. They know how to win. This year was a rebuilding year. We lost people who had to be replaced and we only had some true freshmen up for the job. We shouldn't write off the D1-A move because of a rebuilding year and one game vs FIU. I think we did get a win or more in this Shula Bowl Rivalry. Looking at the broader picture will show that we will bounce back next year with close to .500 ball. The following year may just see .700 ball from the guys.

Off field issues which pertains to the football team:
That's a whole 'nother thread in itself ::)
Back to the top

No doubt we need a few more D1-AA and a couple of the community colleges to step up with a program. that would really help these kids from wondering all over the country. As far as the 1-AA schools that exist I'm not sure your going to find many more moving to D1-A any time soon.

I believe they will bounce back and agree with you O.G. the other off field team issues is a whole different thread.
Back to the top
Control functions: