Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UM to play at Dolphin Stadium in 07-08?

I've read on two message board sites and now I've seen it in the Tampa Tribune. According to the city Manager, Joe Ariola, the Canes are in the process of remodeling/tearing down the Orange Bowl. They may play next year at the Orange Bowl but the following year (2007-2008) will be at Dolphin Stadium. The folks at UM denies anything concrete and say they have a meeting for next week to discuss the situation. The Dolphins also are left in the dark about this agreement. The city may have jumped the ship in announcing something w/out approval for ProPlayer.

So my question is this. What will this do with FAU's back-up Dolphin Stadium plans if the Lockhart/Orioles remodeling deal get started? Is that Broward County deal still on the table for the Orioles?
Back to the top

Say hello to Boca High!
Back to the top

Its been in the news down south and heard it yesterday up here on the Orlando stations. The Herald and Sun sentinel had some big articles on the situation yesterday and today. My gut is they are going to build a new stadium.

As far as FAU think about it Miami can pack that thing revenue for concessions not a problem. Maybe it is time to start thinking about that temp stadium that could be around for a good number of years.

Back to the top

This really put the FAU stadium issue on the fast tracks of people's mind. If they were to go the smaller open air stadium route, it's a safe bet to believe that thing will be around for a looooong time.

A few sets of Bleachers and a cross walk will make Boca High fairly respectable. :)
Back to the top

GhostOfBuchanan said

Say hello to Boca High!

Going from a small run down municiple football/soccer stadium to a smaller local high school football stadium will really attract some top recruits. ;)

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Hey, at least we could have a walk to the stadium tradition like other schools have.
Back to the top

Plus, we could have the first sell-out in program history :o and now Owl football tickets would be in demand thus generating more interest thus …..

Seriously, Boca High still won't give the players a home field - We could build something similar ( minus the track ) to FIU in no time.

Look at what Stanford is doing, after their last home game this year the bull dozers moved in ( they where waiting the second the last seconds ticked off to start ) to start demolising their stadium and the new one is suppose to be ready for next season.

If things are done right and everytings are in place it doesn't have to take centuries to get things done, I beleive we moved out of the stone ages a while back.

The Dome may makes sense as far as long term plans, but reality may say - Temp. ( permanate ) Stadium being built.
Back to the top

Posted on Thu, Dec. 01, 2005

MIAMI

Orange Bowl won't be torn down

Miami leaders say they have no intention of tearing down the Orange Bowl and sending the University of Miami looking for a temporary home.

BY CHARLES RABIN AND MICHAEL VASQUEZ

[email protected]

After comments by City Manager Joe Arriola about demolishing the Orange Bowl left some Miami elected officials scratching their heads Wednesday, he backtracked – slightly.

Arriola denied media reports that he said the Orange Bowl may have suffered structural damage from Hurricane Wilma and that plans were being considered to build a new stadium on the Little Havana site.

He claimed his statements were taken out of context, mixing answers from two different topics: damage sustained from Wilma and long-standing plans to refurbish the stadium.

He admitted to previously telling University of Miami athletic director Paul Dee that if renovations warrant it, the football team might have to find another place to play in 2007 – though he called that unlikely.

UM, which has a contract with the city of Miami to play in the Orange Bowl through 2009, is the stadium's main tenant. The city has a long-planned $110 million renovation for the stadium that is supposed to get under way after the 2006 football season.

Some media outlets reported that Arriola had said earlier in the day that if enough structural damage was found from Hurricane Wilma, the venerable 68-year-old building could be torn down.

Later, he denied that.

''I don't believe there's anything wrong,'' Arriola told The Herald. ``Our engineers said there's nothing wrong.''

The Associated Press quoted Arriola as saying: ''We might tear it down and build a new Orange Bowl.'' Local NBC affiliate WTVJ-6 said Arriola said he was concerned with the structural integrity of the stadium.

`I'LL BE DAMNED'

News that the UM Hurricanes could be looking for a new place to play football in the 2007 season spread quickly. And Arriola's reported statements left some Miami commissioners miffed and bemused.

''First of all, Joe Arriola does not make that decision. Policy decision is made by the commission,'' said Commissioner Johnny Winton, a longtime Hurricane season ticket-holder. ``There's no plan to tear the Orange Bowl down. And I'll be damned if I do anything to send the Hurricanes to Dolphins Stadium.''

Commission Chairman Joe Sanchez was just as blunt:

``There's no truth to it. He just got back from vacation; maybe he's just jet-lagged or something.''

Mayor Manny Diaz, through a spokesman, said much the same thing.

''There are no plans to bring down the Orange Bowl,'' said Alejandro Miyar, Diaz's press secretary.

Arriola did say that now that the Florida Marlins were no longer in the picture, the city and the university could move forward with plans to upgrade the Orange Bowl.

The Marlins' plans to build a new baseball stadium next to the Orange Bowl died last week after the team threatened to move to another city and quickly traded away several prominent players. The Marlins play their home games at Dolphins Stadium.

Arriola said in past renovation discussions with Dee, he mentioned the possibility of UM being displaced for a season. ''It's what I've been saying for the past two years.'' said Arriola. ``I don't want to make the mistakes of the past patching up the Orange Bowl.''

Miami now has about $80 million for repairs and refurbishment of the stadium beginning in 2007, though the total project is expected to cost more than $100 million.

City leaders hope to make the Orange Bowl attractive enough to draw other professional sports, like international soccer.

Dee said he recalled some mention of razing the 72,319-seat structure, but only during discussions that involved the Marlins building a new ballpark at the site.

Dee also denied the structure was unsafe, saying UM and the city never would have let students and the public into the stadium for games after Wilma against Atlantic Coast Conference foes North Carolina, Georgia Tech, and Virginia.

Wilma damaged the stadium's light banks, a chain-link fence on the upper deck and a radio tower.

But the building itself was declared structurally sound.

''They wouldn't let them go in there if there was any question,'' Dee said.

TALKS NEXT WEEK

UM and Miami officials are set to meet next week to discuss the future of the Orange Bowl – one of the nation's most well-known sporting venues, but old and rickety and lacking skyboxes and modern bathrooms and concession stands.

The Hurricanes have played in the Orange Bowl since it opened in 1937. And Winton said as long as he has a say, their play there will not be interrupted.

''If a nuclear bomb is dropped in Miami, we may have to consider several options,'' said Winton. ``But there is no plan to tear down the Orange Bowl.''

Back to the top

Now if they have to "mysteriously" relocate to Dolphin stadium while they renovate in 2007-08, it will be classified as a last minute decision and not a planned one as reported this year.

Looks like Poor Joe was thrown under the bus on this one. Hmmmmmm…..
Back to the top

I agree with Bytor and most of us have been saying it all along. The Boca High does nothing for this team. Its not really even a good band-aid.

You could have a respectable stadium built by next season and could easily take the program into the next one or two decades. That isn't a bad thing and will do wonders for this program.

I still say use the Intramural Fields area put the field inside the track area build the bleachers put a berm at one end and a big tron at the other (with the cannon under it of course).
Back to the top
Control functions: