Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU's Shula Bowl take on future goals.

Very interesting what a Shula Bowl win can do for one's confidence and overall outlook.
Season is winding down and it's getting slow so it makes for good reading.

http://fiuathleticscom.proboards20.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1133389535
Back to the top

There are a few statements I agree with and some I don't. Yes I would like to see a time when FAU and FIU are not mentioned in the same breath by the media. AND

No I don't think FIU is closer to being a more "traditional" university than FAU. AS a matter of fact, just the opposite.

Concerning the comment that FIU's football program is now ahead of FAU's. Where in the hell did that come from? Everyone in the universe knew before the season started that this would be a rebuilding year for FAU. FAU actually beat the predictions of no wins this season. FIU will have a similar season next year. Two of FIU's wins this year were against AA opponents.

I know everyone keeps saying "but FIU has their own stadium". Yes. FIU is located next to Tamiami park and that is a municiple stadium that they have use of built with county and state funds.

We already know FAU will have a teaching hospital on campus and a stadium. Possibly a state of the art domed stadium.

FAU is a larger campus than FIU with I think more potential. If you read my post in another thread, I said that Boca Raton could be the next college town in the state of Florida.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I agree with issues on both sides of this coin.

Currently, FIU is a slighty shinier penny. They have a stadium, they have some very nice housing on campus, and they had a pretty good season. I think they are in a massive growth period - same as FAU (though, not as large). Short term prospects - ie, the next 2-5 years - FIU looks pretty darn good.

But long term? FAU has more room - giving them the potential for a huge campus. FAU is getting the teaching hospital, due to strong connections to both UM and WBCH - partnerships that will attract students interested in doing pre-med while staying at home, or for less cost that one of the bigger schools. That revenue, in turn, will go back into the school to fund even more growth. In contrast, FIU, being in an urban area, has less ability to change perceptions of itself and grow into a community within a community - which is a big part of the undergrad experience for a lot of young students.

About 15 years ago, UCF was in a very similar situation to FAU. They were considered a mostly communter school - possibly a small step above. As of 2005, UCF is the largest undergraduate public university in Florida and second by total enrollment, trailing the University of Florida by fewer than 5,000 students. UCF currently has plans to build a med school - but it will be located off the main campus, on 50 acres of donated land. If approved by the state, the medical college would be established in Fall 2006. Its four-year curriculum would begin clinical education in Fall 2008 and would produce about 120 medical graduates each year.

Currently FAU has over 26,000 students and is currently the fastest growing school in the state. Our med program was launched in 2004 and is currently expanding to allow students to complete to the full four years at the Boca Raton campus.

While both schools have a lot going for them, I have to say the FAU has better long term prospects - mostly due to it's location and it's established partnerships. If Brogan plays this all out right, the growth the school experiences during his terms could be unparalleled.

Back to the top

some good points made tangygirl. Although I would not really care if the enrollment at FAU got huge. FIU and UCF are larger than many of the academically top state universities around the country and most or all of the private colleges like Duke. FAU wants to consider specializing in a few programs that it thinks it could be the model for. I personally think too much growth too quick means diluting the quality. Brogan will have to watch that. I think he is though. He already raised the SAT requirements.

tangygirl, I wish more of the women alumni or current women students were active on this board. It is refreshing to hear it from a women's perspective. thanks for your comments.

Back to the top

O.G. said

Very interesting what a Shula Bowl win can do for one's confidence and overall outlook.
Season is winding down and it's getting slow so it makes for good reading.

http://fiuathleticscom.proboards20.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1133389535

Well, to comment on your original point OG, yes, a win over FAU, and a big one, now its time to start looking at a bid for the Sugar Bowl or the Orange Bowl next year. ;)

I read some REAL criticism in the past on that board of the current system even some thoughts of firing some people. Things changed quickly.

Be prepared for a retort on this one.

Back to the top

That is one of the problems Brogan did inherent, to much growth to fast and the product was diluted - FAU has expanded at a very rapid rate, this included all the satellite campuses. Brogan is doing a ggod jod of tighting the ropes a bit and one reason for the increases in attendance requirements.

Things where runned like a mom & pop establishment for awhile, now we have real leadership in place - cleaning up a mess does require some extra effort.
Back to the top

Brogan is the "Man" no doubt in my mind he is the guy that has, is and will make this a jewel in the state of Florida and the country. Going into it you become hesitant of the new guy but he is an aggressive leader with an enormous amount of vision. He is doing everything to make the students, Alumni, and Community proud of this institution.

The very important thing is at least for most on this board is he is a large supporter of the FAU Athletics.

Back to the top

illinoisowl said

tangygirl, I wish more of the women alumni or current women students were active on this board. It is refreshing to hear it from a women's perspective. thanks for your comments.

Thanks illinoisowl. I am a current student at FAU, so it's growth is something I am concerned with. I would prefer to see good instructors with smaller classes than overworked instructors with huge classes. FAU was an easy choice for me, due to proximity, but I've found that they have some very good programs- and is one of only a handful of school in the country to offer a Masters degree in Experimental Psychology (Which is not my intended major, but is interesting as it is a part of my field).

I'm hoping that Brogan does well and makes smart decisions as the leader of FAU. The school has the potential to be great - but a strong foundation has to be put in place first.
Back to the top

tangygirl,
My memories of FAU, during president Creech (sp?) days, was working my butt off. I was an accounting major. All the accounting majors worked hard or flunked out. The enrollment back then was a little over 7000. All the programs were very good. The ocean engineering program was ruthless from what I was told. The growth was slow back then and except for the "101" classes that everyone had to take, the classes were relativley small.

I think we have departed from the thread topic quite severely.

Back to the top

illinoisowl said

I think we have departed from the thread topic quite severely.
And who is going to complain… :)

Keep it coming. I didn't go to FAU. So this is some interesting information for some of us. Especially what it used to be like back in the day.. ;)
Back to the top
Control functions: