Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

good news for alum

Couple gives FAU $1 million for center

Alumni building also will house library, classrooms.

Staff Reports
Posted December 8 2005

It's not even their own alma mater, but Marleen and Harold Forkas want to give Florida Atlantic University alumni a home on campus.

The Boca Raton couple gave $1 million Wednesday toward an alumni center for the 41-year-old university. Plans call for an airy, inviting $3.2 million building with a library, great hall, classrooms and a "lighthouse tower" symbolically beckoning graduates back to campus.

Construction is expected to start in 2006. The building will be named for the couple.

"We both feel strongly about higher education," Marleen Forkas explained in a written statement.

She graduated from New York's Fashion Institute of Technology and went on to a 40-year career in fashion design and manufacturing. He retired as the owner of eight Midas Muffler dealerships.

The two came to know FAU after moving to the area from Long Island in 1988. They were among the early benefactors of its football team and regularly attend home and away games, the university said.

Back to the top

good news for alum

Nice gift ya Forkas.

Now we need about 30 more of these couples who "both feel strongly about FAU football." Nice donation, but someone missed the ball here. We need a stadium more than an alumni center.

Would be nice to call it Forkas Field….commentators would love that!
Back to the top

good news for alum

A couple from Long Island living in So. Florida? I'll bet they and Doherty are the only ones from Long Island down there.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

good news for alum

The Alumni Center has been in the works since early 2002 if not earlier.
Back to the top

good news for alum

classrooms? screw classrooms, put in bar with some lazy boys and a couple of plasma's.
Back to the top

good news for alum

good news for alum

See, now that is creative thinking if I do say so myself Exit.
Back to the top

good news for alum

Seriously I sat through classes for four years and the only thing I learned was from some girl in algonquin.

Back to the top

good news for alum

I think they should put in another branch of Schnellys Original Steakhouse & Sports Theatre in the alumni center. That one on Glades is a great place to watch games. I think the only reason i went there at first was because Schnellys name was on it.
Back to the top

good news for alum

that's a great idea.
Back to the top
Control functions: