Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Chris Laz gets 2nd shot w/Colts

Just got an e-mail from his mom. She said that he received the call at 8PM tonight. They want him on the practice squad. That's a positive step!

Good Luck Ski. Represent the Owls. 8-)
Back to the top

thanks for the update OG. thats great news for Laz...and FAU!!!
Back to the top

That's great news. I always said he reminded me of a Z. Thomas. And what a team to be called back to!
Back to the top

Maybe Chris will get a shot now that Dungy may be resting his some of his starters. There are several minor injuries too.

Hopefully!!
Back to the top

Fresh out of the Local Paper, some good stuff as Johnny Carson would say

2 Space Coast players live NFL dream

Area duo on teams vying for Super Bowl

BY SCOTT BROWN
FLORIDA TODAY
He slapped a wicked stiff-arm on a Houston Texans defender, and teammates labeled it "The Baptism."
In another nod to Leonard Weaver's religious convictions and a running style that also is without subtlety, his fellow Seattle Seahawks have taken to calling the Satellite High graduate "The Church Van."
"They can't call me 'The Church Bus,' " Weaver said, noting that anything close to a comparison with Hall of Fame-bound running back Jerome Bettis would be grossly premature.

Maybe not, but the player mostly limited to special-teams duty this season could have more chances to rumble before the season ends. Seattle is 12-2, and Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren may rest his starters for parts of the last two regular-season games in anticipation of a lengthy playoff run.
Meanwhile, another player with local ties also finds himself on the periphery of a season that could have a super ending.

Chris Laskowski was monitoring a study hall for football players at Florida Atlantic University a little more than a month ago, when a dream he'd had the previous night literally came true.

Twelve hours later the Rockledge High graduate was boarding a plane for Indianapolis, bound for a spot on the Colts' practice squad.

Saturday's meeting between Indianapolis and Seattle has lost some of its intrigue since the 13-1 Colts no longer have a chance at a perfect season. But the 4 p.m. game still pits the teams with the NFL's two best records, meaning it could well be a preview for Super Bowl XL.

"I realize how blessed I am just to be a part of it," Laskowski said.
Getting the call

Laskowski, an undrafted free agent out of FAU, made it to the team's final cut in August. But he admittedly was becoming restless nearly three months later. He hadn't been called back to the Colts, though his agent had stayed in regular contact with team management.
"You're unemployed," said Laskowski. "I was getting impatient at times, but I was trying to believe what they were telling me. I felt I kind of owed it to myself to keep going."

A night after having his first dream about the Colts since he had been cut at the end of preseason, the 5-foot-9, 210-pound Laskowski was helping an FAU freshman football player during team study hall when his agent called his cell phone.

Laskowski's life has been a whirlwind since he was told to pack for Indianapolis.

He does not dress for Colts' games, but he does everything else with the team. For anybody wondering, yes, Peyton Manning knows his name. The reigning MVP got a kick when Laskowski told him his head coach at Rockledge, Chuck Wood, had been on the same Ole Miss football team as Manning's father, Archie.
Not that Laskowski, a linebacker-turned-safety, is some wide-eyed colt in Indianapolis' locker room.
He said he has "no doubt" he can play in the NFL and is intent on showing Indianapolis coaches just that during his time on the practice squad.

"I honestly think if I wouldn't have gotten banged up (during preseason practice), I would have played well enough for them to want to keep me on special teams," Laskowski said.
Carving a niche

If anyone can serve as an example of overcoming long odds, Leonard Weaver can.

He made the Seahawks as an undrafted free agent out of a Carson-Newman College, a Division II school in Tennessee. That generally happens in the NFL as often as the Arizona Cardinals make a Super Bowl run.
Something else made his accomplishment even more remarkable. After playing tight end in college, the 6-0, 251-pound Weaver moved to fullback.

Several mentors have helped him make the transition, he said, including veteran fullback Mack Strong and All-Pro running back Shaun Alexander.

Most of his action has come on the Seahawks' special teams, but Weaver has had some opportunities to run the ball at the end of Seattle's blowouts, including at Philadelphia on "Monday Night Football."

He has picked up 80 yards while averaging 4.7 yards a carry, and Weaver's blend of speed and power have attracted the attention of his teammates – as his new nicknames suggest.

"He's a tremendous talent in terms of running and catching the ball out of the backfield," said Seahawks running backs coach Stump Mitchell, a former NFL player who rushed for nearly 4,700 yards in nine pro seasons. "He's going to be fine when his opportunity comes to play. We just need him to contribute a little more on special teams."

Indeed, with Alexander chasing a league rushing title and Strong paving the way for him, Weaver will have to make his mark doing the grunt work of a special-teams player.

And his play on special teams, Mitchell said, has to improve.

Not that Weaver takes anything for granted, especially given his route to NFL.

Life is good right now – he is living his dream, and he and his wife welcomed Leonard Weaver IV into the world right before Thanksgiving – but he knows that NFL careers can be many things, including fleeting.
Countless players are trying to break through at the sport's highest level.

Laskowski and Weaver are proof of that.
"Every day, every week, every opportunity I get, I cherish," Weaver said. "There's always young guys coming in, just like my position.

"One thing I've learned in this league is your job is on the line every day, every week, so you have to be focused on what you're doing."
Back to the top

Dungy said on Sportscenter this morning that he doesn't plan on letting any of the slightly injured players on the field this weekend. Laz might just get his shot.
Back to the top

As far as I know, unless someone goes on the IR, you can't just bring someone up from the practice squad. You need a roster spot for them just like you would if you brought someone in from the outside. As much as I'd like to see Laz play this weekend, it ain't happening. Plus the Colts have three kickers on their team, so roster spots are at a premium.
Back to the top

A bit off topic but, wow, Tony Dungy's son was found dead in his Tampa apartment today. Young kid too, 18 years old. Hillsboro Police say it was suicide but not it's definite.
Back to the top

I got a call about it this morning from a Friend. I found an article and posted it in a different thread

Real tough story especially this time of year.
Back to the top

A number of players either aren't playing or aren't travelling for the Colts including linebacker Kado June and safety Bob Sanders. I haven't heard if Laskowski has been activated but it seems like now would be the time. Anyone know anything?? GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: