Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2006 Opponents

Yikes! Did anyone watch Clemson beat Colorado (Insight Bowl, Orlando)? The game was nowhere near as close as the score (19-10). These guys will be the Owls' second game in 2006.

Clemson has a great running back, a true freshman. who got the game ball and the MVP trophy for the Insight Bowl. The QB is a senior and will be gone, but the announcers said repeatedly they think Clemson still could be a Top Ten team in the 2006 Pre-Season poll. They'll have a number of starters returning, and they have stunning team speed. The lines (both sides) looked big, fast and mean. The defensive ends looked great. On the offensive side, receivers made some spectacular catches….
Back to the top

2006 Opponents

grayowl,

yeah, the freshman runningback james davis is a baller indeed. my cousin is a junior at clemson and he has raved about this kid since the season began. they compare him to clinton portis and edgerrin james. we will definately have our hands full with them, probably similar to our louisville game this year. at least will have fresh legs, being that it is the second game of the year. then again, they will have fresh legs as well =/
Back to the top

2006 Opponents

Yeah. I saw that game.

Thoughts about next year were dancing around in my head too.. :o
Back to the top

2006 Opponents

I think we can expect to be slaughtered a few times over the next few seasons. Even Howard said they next years the team will be playing over it's head. But it's part of the build, and these games should bring in nice profit that will help us afford better seasons in the future.
Back to the top

2006 Opponents

Tangy these young bucks may seem more like sacrificial lambs but they are some pretty tough guys. As bad as they were beat up this year they never gave up. What they learned from the battles on the field will carry them through the next year and beyond. It will also help teach the new recruits what to expect and what will be expected of them. They will practice harder and get better and the beatings will be less and less.

The heart of this team has never stopped beating because the foundation that was cast by the Seniors that left made an impression that will make this program stronger and stronger.

It is sort of a chain that broke when we lost so many starters and it had to make new pieces to fix the chain and make it stronger. Recruits will look at FAU and realize they can make a difference in not only the outcome of a game but the outcome of a program and be a part of its tradition. This program will get bigger and bigger each year.
Back to the top

2006 Opponents

Our team definately has heart. I could never disagree with that. I think our departing QB is a big part of that, because he took a pounding, but never complained and always did his best. And I agree that going up against the best will make you better. But frankly, I don't expect to see a heavy win season for the next couple of years, because while our program is growing, has heart, and has a good outlook, right not we cannot attract top recruits. And we will be going up against teams that have 5 star talent.

Are there long term benefits to us playing against those teams? Absolutely. Will games against the big guys draw some recruits attracted by playing against them and maybe getting some tv time? You bet. Will our program reap financial reward by playing so many away games against bigger teams? Without a doubt.

Are we going to beat UF in 2007? Doubtful.

That doesn't mean I disagree with the decision to play them, or that I don't see what the eventual pay offs could be. It just means that I am a realist (or a cynic depending on what side of the fence you are on). As much as I enjoy the FAU games and following what the program is doing and finding out about the players, I think it will be a few more years before we can have a legitimate chance against some of the teams on our next schedules.
Back to the top

2006 Opponents

The five star players aren't always five star quality. ask anyone who has played and coached against some of these (*****) players. Most are but some no stars or even not listed can surprise the heck out of you. We have several of those players on the Team right now they fell through the cracks and that is where smart recruiting come in. Yes, they are few that fall into that category but the star thing is for the hype that the press loves to compare these schools with. To me it is a waste and can really bite you in the but. A kid that is great in High school may not necessarily be great in college. Look at the St Thomas Vs. Lakeland state game and you may get a little better understanding of what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying we don't want the five star kids but I'm simply saying that you want the best you can get. The star guys will come later as long as they are true 1,2,3,4 or 5 star candidates. Billy Lowe did better in the Cali-Florida bowl game then Tebow. Wow is that great.

Sorry for the rambling just know to many kids that are missed because of "the Star system"
Back to the top

2006 Opponents

2006 Opponents

I was just listening to a discussion about the University of Miami and all of their "4 & 5 star" recruits and how it doesn't appear to be a good gauge of high school players. It's hard to measure how hard a 17 year old wants to work in a college program and how much heart they bring with them.

Solid coaching and support does alot for young recruit, that's one thing I believe Howard has brought to this program.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

2006 Opponents

College Football News (www.collegefootballnews.com)isn't very kind to the Owls, who are mentioned in the ACC roundup's section on Clemson:

Clemson
Realistic best case record with this schedule: 10-2
Barring total disaster worst case record: 7-5
Realistic record: 8-4

Clemson had better use the Florida Atlantic game to work out all the kinks or it'll quickly by 1-2 with road dates at Boston College and Florida State early on. On the plus side, the schedule eases up with almost four certain wins before a decent second half ACC home slate. With four of the final five games in Death Valley, the potential is there for a huge season if the Tigers can beat either the Eagles or the Noles.

Sept. 2 Florida Atlantic*
Sept. 9 at Boston College
Sept. 16 at Florida State
Sept. 23 North Carolina
Sept. 30 Louisiana Tech*
Oct. 7 at Wake Forest
Oct. 14 at Temple*
Oct. 21 Georgia Tech
Oct. 26 (Thurs.) at Virginia Tech**
Nov. 4 Maryland
Nov. 11 NC State
Nov. 18 open date
Nov. 25 South Carolina

*Almost certain win
**Likely loss
Others could go either way

Back to the top

2006 Opponents

Realisticly this should be an easy game for Clemson, "Death Valley" is not the easier place to play even for a FSU team. Can the Owl's macth-up with the Tigers physically for four quarters, I just hope that we can be physical enough like the Ok. St. game this year and stay competitive enough through a half anyway.

I need to see the team in Fall & Spring practice to see how they will compete as a team.
Back to the top
Control functions: