Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kehoe Article

I hope Schnelly was one of the other people "feeling him out!"

Kehoe expects to interview at Ole Miss
By Jorge Milian

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Art Kehoe, fired Monday after 25 seasons as a University of Miami assistant, said Tuesday he expects to interview soon with University of Mississippi coach Ed Orgeron.

Kehoe said that Orgeron, a former UM assistant, called him Monday to discuss the Rebels' vacancy at offensive line coach.

"It's not going to be easy to leave this area, but I need a job," Kehoe said. "My kid needs to eat. My wife needs to eat and I need to eat. (Mississippi) is in the SEC and, last I checked, they have some pretty good teams in that conference."

The Hurricanes are coming off a 40-3 loss in the Peach Bowl against LSU, an SEC team.

Kehoe, 48, said he spent part of Tuesday putting together a r?sum? for the first time since he was a UM student assistant under coach Howard Schnellenberger in 1981. Kehoe will attend the annual coaches' convention next week in Dallas and may visit Mississippi's campus in Oxford after that.

Aside from Orgeron, Kehoe said he has been contacted by other coaches "feeling me out" about jobs, but he declined to name them.

"Whatever job I take, I've promised (fianc?e Diona Williams) I'll never be in this position again in my life," said Kehoe, father to 16-month-old son, Jake.

Kehoe, the only UM coach to own each of the school's five national championship rings, said he cried Monday night while taking a stroll on the practice field.

"I kept telling myself, 'It's over. The "U" is off my chest,' " said Kehoe, who played at UM in 1979 and 1980 before beginning his coaching career. "That's hard to believe. You wake up one day and after 25 years, it's done. I'm still trying to deal with it. But I will, and we'll move on."

Kehoe was one of four UM assistants dismissed by coach Larry Coker on Monday. Also fired were offensive coordinator Dan Werner, running backs coach Don Soldinger and linebackers coach Vernon Hargreaves.

Former UM offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski has been mentioned as a potential replacement for Werner. Chudzinski was Miami's offensive coordinator from 2001 through '03 before leaving to become tight ends coach with the Cleveland Browns. Chudzinski, who could not be reached for comment, spent the past season as tight ends coach with the San Diego Chargers.
Back to the top

Kehoe Article

Kehoe Article

I had a strong feeling Kehoe wasn't going to take it well. In a previous job I worked with a women who had been with the company since she was a high school intern. The plant was closed when she was about 47. She took it very bad. Just like Kehoe she had never been without a job or had to hit the pavement to find one. I know what he's going though.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: