Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Carlos Monroe is back!

Add topic

And playing in today's game. ;D
Back to the top

Carlos Monroe is back!

At the Half, FAU is up 4 points. Monroe is the leading scorer with 10 points in 11 minutes.
Back to the top

Carlos Monroe is back!

Monroe looks pretty legit. I think he is the best post player that we have so that is really big that he is back. I also want to say that I really think Brent Crews is a good player. The kid never stops hustling and I think that he is just the type of player this program needs.
Back to the top

Carlos Monroe is back!

Carlos Monroe is damn good, as he matures he will become much better. It's great to finally have a big man in the center!
They are really coming together as a team, great unity.
Did anyone catch Coach step on to the court and hi five Green after he broke up a play? ha ha, it cracked us up. His intensity is great!
Overall, great game, we are looking good!
Back to the top

Carlos Monroe is back!

As a matter of fact I did see Coach high five a player. I thought that was awesome. Was it just me or was Mercer getting lucky as heck with their 3 pointers towards the end of the game... I mean they were throwing them up from dang near half court and they were going in. I think the score doesnt tell the entire story of the game because we absolutely dominated them in all phases of the game. I think our free throw shooting might have been the best all year.
Back to the top

Carlos Monroe is back!

Carlos Monroe is back!

Monroe did look very good for his first game, but let's not call him a "big man". He's listed generously at 6-8. Regardless, his addition is a huge boost for the team. You could see how much the team enjoys having him on the court today. Shame the majority of our crowd was asleep for most of the game. I know the kids aren't back in school yet, but it was like a morgue in there today at times.
Back to the top

Carlos Monroe is back!

I missed the game, but the newspapers sounded impressed. Hopefully I'll be there Monday. We even made their electronic front page.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports

Monroe provides big lift for FAU

By Ted Hutton
Staff Writer
Posted January 8 2006

BOCA RATON – Florida Atlantic's prospects got a lot brighter Saturday afternoon.

It wasn't just the 91-80 win over Mercer at FAU Arena that kept the Owls in first place in the Atlantic Sun.

More important was the appearance of Carlos Monroe, a 6-foot-8, 245-pound freshman who had been sidelined for the first 11 games while waiting for the NCAA Clearinghouse to process his paperwork.

FAU's first double-digit win of the season was made possible by the presence of Monroe, who gave FAU the inside game it never had.

"He makes our team whole now," said FAU coach Matt Doherty.

"I was amazed watching him," said Rodney Webb, who at 6-7 had been FAU's tallest player and only inside threat until Saturday. "It made things a lot easier."

Monroe made his first appearance with 15:02 left in the first half, and FAU immediately made him the first option on offense.

Monroe responded, sinking four straight baskets and two free throws for 10 points before his first miss. Monroe also had 4 rebounds in 11 minutes in the half.

"I was a little nervous at first, but then I got in a groove," Monroe said.

In the second half, FAU (5-7, 4-1) kept going inside to Monroe, and the Bears were forced to double-team him, which opened up the perimeter. The Owls took advantage, going on a 20-9 run that broke the game open.

"We didn't know anything about him," Mercer coach Mark Slonaker said of Monroe. "He's very impressive."

FAU's forwards had 45 points, as Webb had 16, Fred Marshall 15 and Monroe 14. It was a career-high for Marshall.

FAU outscored the Bears 32-18 in the paint, and shot a season-best 53.3 percent. Monroe went 6 for 9 from the field and 2 for 2 from the foul line in 18 minutes.

"He can score inside, can rebound, and now we can play at least 10 guys and not think twice about it," Doherty said about his newest player.

Monroe and the revamped Owls are back in action Monday when they host Stetson (2-10, 2-2) at 7 p.m.

Ted Hutton can be reached at [email protected].

Back to the top

Carlos Monroe is back!

It looks like Doherty is turning out to be what everyone had hoped. The team is gelling. Their confidence is up. The team definitley has not peaked yet. I think they'll keep getting better as a team until tournament time.
There were a couple of close games that probably could have been won with the addition of Monroe. Oh well, you can't look back, only forward. There is plenty more season left.

As someone stated, Monroe isn't a "big man" but he is strong and weight 245lbs, maybe more. He can push a few guys around under the basket for position.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Carlos Monroe is back!

last time I checked, Boca Raton and FAU were in Palm Beach County. You would think the Palm beach Post would be familiar with the names. Check out the headline then check out the same name in the story a few lines down.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2006/01/08/a15b_statehoop_0108.html

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: