Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Works Stetson!!!

Add topic

Damn! We owned Stetson tonight! If we would have made any free throws in the second half tonight we would have won by 30!
Monroe played great again and DeAndre Rice couldn't miss in the first half.
Best part of the game by far was Anderson getting (what I think) his first minutes of the season and getting to impress the crowd with a pretty nice dunk at the end of the game.
Decent crowd tonight too!
Back to the top

FAU Works Stetson!!!

So what was the score? I'm glad to hear we won, but by how much did we make the Hatters Mad?
Back to the top

FAU Works Stetson!!!

77-62

Owls Knock Off Hatters, 77-62
FAU holds on to first place with key road trip imminent

Jan. 9, 2006

BOCA RATON, Fla. - The Florida Atlantic men's basketball team maintained its hold on first place in the Atlantic Sun Conference on Monday with a 77-62 victory over Stetson at FAU Arena.

DeAndre Rice and Carlos Monroe scored 21 points each for FAU (6-7, 5-1 A-Sun), whose 15-point margin of victory was its largest of the season. The Owls won the rebounding battle for the fourth straight game, 35-22.

FAU shot 52.9% from the field, its second-highest percentage of the year, and limited Stetson to 46.9%, marking the third time in four games that the Owls have held an opponent under 48%.

A man who generally likes to show his best in the second half, Rice propelled FAU into the lead with 14 points before the break, including 11 points in the first 10 minutes of the game. He came into the game averaging 16.3 points in the second half of the Owls' last four games.

Rodney Webb recorded his fifth double-double of the season with 12 points and 11 rebounds. Monroe, playing in just his second collegiate game, grabbed nine rebounds and shot 8-12 from the field, while Rice was 7-10 overall and 5-6 from three-point range.

Kevin Green netted eight points in the second half, including 5-6 at the free throw line. With nine different Owls recording assists, FAU totaled 16 assists to just nine turnovers.

"It feels good to come in here (to the postgame press conference) with a victory in hand," stated head coach Matt Doherty. "We have earned these wins, and all of the pieces are really connecting right now. We have more to learn, and we are going to throw in some wrinkles (into the play calling), but it is very important for us to have reached this level as we prepare for a difficult road trip to Campbell and Gardner-Webb."

E.J. Gordon led Stetson (2-10, 2-2 A-Sun) with 15 points.

FAU is back in action on Sunday, Jan. 15 at 2:00 p.m. in A-Sun play at Gardner-Webb. The game can be heard on www.fausports.com and 1040 AM WLVJ.

Back to the top

FAU Works Stetson!!!

OMG basketball is starting to be one of my favorite sports. I'm in the pep band and I have to say that the best part of the game was when the band stated yelling at Stetson's coach to tuck his shirt in. And he actually did. ;D But I hope the crowd starts yelling and strating cheers. The band is trying to get things going. GO OWLS!!!!

~Daphne

P.S. I really hope we keep winning b/c if we go to the NCAA tourney then the band gets to go. YAY!!!! ROAD TRIP!

AEA
Back to the top

FAU Works Stetson!!!

I thought yesterday was probably the best game that I have been to. The UCF game was fun but I think yesterday was for sure the best game that I have been too. The band really makes a huge difference I think. They have good spirit and they really sound awesome. While on the subject of the band, is there any news on if the band is going to be bigger next year. I think a big band is really good for the school. I think that the band did a great job considering the few members that they had. I can only imagine what they would sound like with maybe over 150.
Back to the top

FAU Works Stetson!!!

dmarkey said

OMG basketball is starting to be one of my favorite sports. I'm in the pep band and I have to say that the best part of the game was when the band stated yelling at Stetson's coach to tuck his shirt in. And he actually did. ;D But I hope the crowd starts yelling and strating cheers. The band is trying to get things going. GO OWLS!!!!

~Daphne

P.S. I really hope we keep winning b/c if we go to the NCAA tourney then the band gets to go. YAY!!!! ROAD TRIP!

She likes football and she likes basketball.
Bmarkey, you must be one proud father!!! ;)

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

FAU Works Stetson!!!

Yes, I'm proud of her. She was playing the clarinet and shooting the game.

Here are some of her pictures.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

As for growing the band, that is the intention of the school. But it's going to be up to everyone to encourage musicians to come out and new students to come to FAU because of band - yet another new activity that is popular on residential campuses.

Spread the word.

Back to the top

FAU Works Stetson!!!

Hopefully the band will grow, but it might take a little longer now that we will be losing our director next year. He applied for a dream job position and FAU fired him for next year b/c of it. Anyways the band was planing on traveling to the Clemson and S. Carolina football games but who knows now. But anyways we (the band) will continue to try and get the games more exciting and pump up the players.

~Daphne

AEA
Back to the top

FAU Works Stetson!!!

FAU Works Stetson!!!

DMarkey, Is that the guy they brought in from Washington? I hope all works out you guys did one heck if a good job and sounded a lot bigger than you were.
We all hope that it will grow and someone will step in to continue the program. It would really be a shame for it to take a step back.

Back to the top

FAU Works Stetson!!!

This likeable and professional college band director has been fired simply for applying for a similar job at a major Big 10 school - Purdue, I think.

Look, FAU is no major player yet and we all know that. Small college and mid-major coaches, administrators and others always have their eyes on their dream jobs. Coaches and administrators who apply elsewhere are usually not punished by losing their jobs they have.

And they shouldn't be.

When was the last time we read about a coach being fired for talking to a major college A.D.?

It's just not fair and this decision will set back the small but growing and successful marching band program at FAU.

I wonder whether President Frank Brogan - who was so happy with the band that he had members pose with his family for its Christmas card - knows about this firing. I hope not. And when he finds out, I hope he steps in and kills this mistake before it's too late.

I encourage everyone here and elsewhere to write to and call Brogan and the administration encourage and demand that Dr. Chapman be retained in his position.

Back to the top
Control functions: