Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Concerned about Recruiting...

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am getting a little bit concerned about our recruiting. As far as I know, we only have one verbal commitment and that is the kid from Tallahasee. Other schools in the state have a lot of commitments, even FIU has 5. The one other recruit that we had decided to go to NIU. Signing day is coming up in February and I'm not sure what we have done in the past but I am kind of worried about the recruiting. Now, I read on the post that FAU has more visits lined up this month than they didnt at this time last year but it seems like kids are commiting to other schools before they even visit FAU. Maybe we need to get on the ball with recruiting and start trying to get kids here earlier. I know the hurricanes messed things up quite a bit but still. We need to get at least 15 recruits for this upcoming season. Last year was a heck of a class and I would like to see that trend continue. Let me know what you all think about the recruiting thus far….
Back to the top

So far the recruiting process has been a lot less public than last season, but i'm sure there is plenty going on behind the scenes. I'm sure there are committments that aren't being reported. For instance, I found this article this morning. Appearently we have a committment from RB Rodney Jones. I'd bet will see a lot of this type of news become public in the next week or so.

Star-Banner Staff

Sixteen area athletes were selected to the Class 3A All-State football team released by the Florida Sports Writers Association on Wednesday.

The three schools represented were regional finalist North Marion, which landed nine players on the teams, West Port with four and Dunnellon with three.

The Colts placed four players on the first team with wideout/tight end Sterlin James (41 catches, 675 yards, 12 TDs) and lineman Kevin Evans (6-foot-4, 280) on offense and linebacker Will Roundtree (162 tackles) and cornerback Cortez Allen (44 tackles, INT) making it on defense.

The Colts also had quarterback Mike Brinkley (Jr., 2,288 yards, 33 TDs), wide receiver Sean Mackey (Sr., 43 catches, 678 yards, 9 TDs) and senior defensive tackle Walter Cabarris (65 tackles, 5 sacks) named to the third team. Senior cornerback Corey Smith (44 tackles, 2 INTs) and sophomore fee safety Albert Gary (87 tackles, 6 INTs) were honorable mention selections.

West Port linebacker Carlos Burrows (Sr., 91 tackles, 19 TFL) was named to the second team defense, while wideout Dominic McDonald (Sr., 45 catches, 809 yards, 5 TDs) and defensive back Biron Nabritt (Sr., 48 tackles, 2 INTs) were third-team selections.

Junior defensive end Chris Guthrie (66 tackles, 16 TFL, 14 sacks) was listed as an honorable mention.

Dunnellon placed three players on the honorable mention list, led by senior running back Rodney Jones, who had his season cut short due to a knee injury.

Jones, who is a Florida Atlantic University commitment, posted 969 rushing yards, 129 receiving and scored 19 touchdowns in eight games.
Senior offensive lineman Rusty Leone and junior linebacker Andrew Barrett (108 tackles, INT) were the other two Tigers to make the team.

http://www.ocala.com/a…S/201190408/1005/sports01
Back to the top

Don't even worry about it. FAU will do OK on signing day and immediately after. That's when a lot of players realize that their "preferred school" didn't come through for them. Check out the papers next week of signing day. Some schools may pull schollys from players who have already committed to them! Some are very public and others are very quietly done. Steve Spurrier did it last year at So Carolina. He snatched 6 schollys for the spring ball season! It happens all the time.

A few things to remember:
FAU is still young and looking to "recruit from the big boys" in Fla and out of state schools. That process will take time. That is a major step in itself. So the second tier Mid Major schools NIU,East Carolina,Toledo etc. have the advantage with being more established.

The major PLUS for FAU? The recruits are looking at early playing time. We had a very young team last year who did OK on the field. They are all (most) coming back! That's a good thing for FAU but bad for recruits looking for early playing time. We are just looking to plug holes and not rebuild entire teams. Therefore you won't see a lot of commitments. The numbers aren't needed. They just go and take their shot at being on TV and waiting their turn somewhere else.
Plus there will be some schollys set aside for spring walk-ons. All teams do it.

Rutgers went through it (growing pains while plugging holes) and now look at the players they' re getting from Florida! USF went through similar growing pains when they lost some veterans and went through rebuilding. Recruited players saw that they couldn't just show up and get a spot like they could have a few years earlier. Now that USF is winning, the recruits are willing to wait their turns. It goes in cycles until you get settled in.

BTW..our record have nothing to do with recruiting. If anything is hindering major players from committing it's the ……..all together now…On campus stadium issue.
Back to the top

Perhaps we need to put billboards all over the place like Rutgers then. It seems like anywhere Rutgers thinks there can be some good football players they have a billboard with the big red "R" sandwiching in a Season's greetings from Rutgers football with a picture of their whole team. Just these few months I've seen them everywhere from North Ft. Lauderdale, to as far south as Homestead.
If we did something like that down here we could use it to also add to the attendance by getting the name of FAU out.
Back to the top

I was concerned as well but I was looking on rivals yesterday and saw a quote from a two star player named Anthony White from Booker T Washington in Miami. He's got his final two favorites as FAU and SC. Which is pretty surprising. Anyways he said that FAU seems good because they've put together a good recruiting class. Which pleased me and made me thing there are quite a few people we don't know about committed. So I'm excited for National Signing Day now.
Back to the top

Like O.G. said we will do alright just keeping things close to the chest. A little birdie told me of how impressive things are turning out. Still to bad about Lowe that would have put some nice frills on the cake and his parents could have gone to more games. The biggest reason for a lot of kids is that one
Back to the top

If they could break ground by next fall we would have amazing recruiting classes in all sports.
Back to the top

Exit39 said

If they could break ground by next fall we would have amazing recruiting classes in all sports.

Long before that I hope we hear definte news that it will happen. Even stake off the ground where the stadium will be. Is it going where the PBCC classrooms are?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I wonder what methods our coaches use to keep in the minds of recruits. Somehow I don't see Schnelly sending text messages…
Back to the top

Illinoisowl I heard two different site, one across the street from where the breezeway dumps into the parking lot at the PBCC corner and one closer to the Oaxly.???
Back to the top
Control functions: