Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2006 Preseason SunBelt picks

Last year they had us winning ZERO games. Zilch. Nada! Well we blew that theory and won 2 games but had a very realistic shot at 2 others. ULM and Ark State.

Find us in the bottom 19 link.

Read On:
http://www.collegefootballnews.com/default.htm
Back to the top

I'm not sure I could stomach another seaon like this past. I sure hope Howard brings it together. If they lose all of the OOC games and win all Sunbelt games, that will be ok. 2007 I expect a big year.
As someone asked in another post, they need a real good RB. The offense was one dimensional in 2005. Is the big fullback, Sanchez, coming back in 2006?

Does anyone know what underclassmen won't be back for whatever reasons?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Aaron Sanchez is back PLUS FB Willie Rose is back from an injury. He moved into the slot after Sanchez got hurt. Willie and Aaron can carry 225 easy on their frames. But I still like the TE to FB conversion idea.

Underclassmen usually jump ship after Spring starts and they don't fit into where they think they should be on the depth chart. Let's hope that OL Stetson Wilson has calmed down and returns to the team.
Back to the top

These are players who signed in 2005 as recruits. Plus some of them played sparingly in some games. A few goo sized O-Linemen. Two of these WR are definitely playmakers AFTER the catch! So our roster is not hurting for bodies. Then you have WR Simeon on the field too!

All of the listed players aren't still on the roster but most of them are returning.

http://fausports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020205aad.html
Back to the top

No one should panic just yet and what will make a successful season next year - again success will not show up in the win column, but how the team plays and progresses during the season. This will be another type of growing pain type of year, but should be better overall.

Last year there really was never any type of consistantcy on either side of the ball - this was a thread that started in spring & fall practices.

We have some questions mark at some Key positions QB, FB and TE position on offense - I wouldn't worry about the RB & WR positions we have players that will be ready to step-up and become play makers - our OL should have gained enough experience to be effective enough. IMO, we need someone at QB to step-up big time, win the starting job early in spring and become the Leader of the offense - this will solidify the offense and help establish some consistantcy we have been lacking (finding a starting QB may take longer however). The FB and TE positions should take care of themselves with someone steping into the role and taking advantage of an opportunity to play.

On Defense, very puzzling how this unit preformed, they showed enough potential to be very good, yet at time lack the intensity (kind summaries the year the team had in general). This year I see the Defense making amends and becoming the solid group that they showed the potential that they have, even thought we lost several key players, there are some young guns with enough experience waiting in the wings to show what they are capable of.

We need to remember the youth and inexperience we had as a team in general last year and even then the young guys shows great potential to be a very good team, the flashes where there and I look for this year for us to have more consistant playmaking on both side of the ball. We should expect the offense to have a slow start, but once we get to conference play should settle down and find some success.

Will that relate to more wins - yes, but how many more is the answer we are all seeking to have answered.
Back to the top

Ditto Bytor. the QB thing would have been scratched off the list if Lowe would have come. I really think he should have taken his visit next week, that is where you have the time to ask the coach and more importantly the players. They will give you the straight scoop without the fluff the coach throw at you. Hopefully, like you said the spring will drop out a leader at that spot.
Back to the top

Jimmy Tousaint 6'4 250+ TE from Miami Edison!
Is he still around? That's who we need to step up for the spot. I have to see if he's still on the team. That may be one of our answers for offensive output.

Coach Howard loves the TE slants and this guy would really be our 1st true TE. As Great as Tony Crissinger was he was really undersized for the position. But he got results!
Back to the top

The battle for the starting QB spot should make for a very interesting spring practices offensively - how Souverain, Clayton and Smith prepared during the off season could make the difference as to who wants it the most. IMO, the position is wide open Clayton would have to be the slight favorite considering he has the most experience of the three - then again I would guess this is no favorite going into Spring.

How these kids prepared in the off season could give anyone of them an edge.
Back to the top
Control functions: