Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

HS Seniors and Signing Day Feb 1st.

To any high schoolers who are peeking into the Owls Nest:

One of your best friends during these times are………The Internet!

Check out the school's website. A lot of information is available to help you with your decision including coaching experience. A lot of coaches will use the "we are shallow at the BLANK spot so you should see the field fairly soon" approach. Don't believe all the hype. Check out their site. Then ask them about the players who are not shown as active. The Red Shirt players. Then you have the 50+ walk-ons who normally show up at practice. Ask about them too.
I remember reading about three years ago how some college coaches don't care too much about the internet because it gives the recruits TOO much info about a program w/o actually visiting or seeing the campus. Yeah Right! I think it's because now they have to be careful on how they manipulate the truth. If you see the field as a true frosh than congratulation on your exceptional football talents! It has been done a million times before. But just in case you are behind someone else with more talent (or even politically motivated. It happens there too folks),then be prepared to wait your turn.

Weigh the options of all schools who are recruiting you. Verbal decisions are just that. Nothing binding. They will tell you about a time frame to make the decision. That's in their best interest because they may have to rush to replace your spot if you reject their offer. Try to avoid rejecting firm offers until you are sure about your decision and a scholly is there for you. Favorite schools have been known to pull them at the last minute.

Make sure that you understand that you have to LIVE in that town/city for 4 or 5 years. Or even more. Take the trip if offered.

Check out the academics offered by that school. Make sure that it has what you are interested in and will probably be doing for the next 40+ years. Check out their tutor programs too . If you don't need it, good for you! Realistically this will probably be your final 4 or 5 years of football. An NFL roster spot is not waiting for everyone who play college ball. The percentages are very small. Prepare for life after the gridiron. Don't worry about the level of college competition you sign with. D1-A,AA,II,III,NAIA or JUCO. A free EDUCATION may sneak up on you.

Finally…Feb 1st is the BEGINING of signing period. It's not the end so you may have time to decide on your future. But remember about the time frame you may be under with certain schools.

I'm sure that I missed some important points/suggestions. Feel free to add.

Don't be intimidated to ask tough questions. This is your future.

Good luck to all and keep Florida athletes Proud!
Back to the top

Great Post!!!! .....It is so true......
Back to the top

I will try to add if I can think of anything but you pretty much hit all the key points. Every kid should read this before he decides.
Back to the top

Playing for the Big schools is great for exposure, but I believe that it's more important to find the right enivroment, which does encompase, the school atmosphere, in and out of the class rooms, but more important the relationship with the coach staff, which will become your supporting group away form home. Which system will allow you to grow as an individaul and football player to the highest level. Any one Individual can flurish in one system while some else can suffer - finding the right fit is so important. If you do find that system that is right for you and you have the talent to make the Pro's, then the coaching staff will to whatever it can to get you noticed - so the relationship you have with the coaching staff becomes improtant at every level of a players development.

Some players have made bad decisions on singing day and transfered to others schools - depending on your position this could be a very hard transistion for most players, especially QB's.

Try to look past all the glitz and bling schools are throwing at you, and focus on what you want to acheive from your Football and academic career and trust nothing other then what you instinct tell you. If you believe in yourself and abilities then nothing should stop you from reaching the next level after GRADUATION ready to take on what ever challenge lays ahead.

Good Luck to all in making a very tough decesion.
Back to the top

To any High School Senior who is being recruited by FAU and reads this message board:

You have a chance to play for a living legend - one of the greatest coaches and men in the history of football. Coach Schnellenberger was/is:

*The offensive coordinator for the University of Alabama on the staff of the venerable Paul 'Bear' Bryant, who won three national championships between 1961-1965.

*The offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins team under Hall Of Fame Coach Don Shula, that won the 1972 NFL Championship and is the only undefeated team in the history of the NFL.

*The head coach who brought the University of Miami its first national championship in 1983 and began the dominance of Florida college football, in a five year period.

*The head coach of the University of Louisville, who took that program from dead last in the NCAA (106) to its first BCS bowl game and a Top 15 ranking in a six year period.

*The head coach of FAU, which finished fourth in the nation in Division I-AA in the program's third year of existence. He also has led FAU to victories in games against established Division I-A programs such as Middle Tennessee, Hawaii, the 2004 Sun Belt champion North Texas, and the 2005 Sun Belt champion Louisiana-Lafayette.

Good luck with your decision, and we fans appreciate your consideration of FAU! Go OWLS!
Back to the top

I know a 2006 recruit and he cannot be more honored than to be invited to be a part of FAU football history and play for Coach Schnelleberger and his great coaching staff ! He wears his FAU hat proudly(won't take it off ). His family will be great boosters of FAU.

He cannot wait until 8:00 a.m. on Feb 1st !
Back to the top

Thanks for the info faufbl. A kid like that is a kid that will give you 150% all the time. He will play with heart and always strive to do better. That is what builds Champions.
Let him know the Fans and Parents welcome him and his family to FAU. Tell him about this board and he can join in on some very interesting subjects.
Back to the top

Welcome to the board faubl.

Talon is right about the FAU family. We welcome any and all newcomers to the Owl family. FAU have a very good head coach & staff with a very good history of leading programs.
The booster part is also very nice to have.. :D

Looking forward to your future postings.

O.G.Owl
Back to the top
Control functions: