Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIUStadium project might result in a move to OB

This is some very good news for FIU and I know was a big part of the recruiting. Congradulations Panthers on your new stadium. The one season in the OB will go byu in a heart beat and might be good for exposure.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/13736372.htm

The Golden Panthers' plans for a new football stadium could mean that all five of their 2007 home games would be played at the Orange Bowl.BY PETE [email protected] International already will play one game at the Orange Bowl this season. But when plans for the Golden Panthers' new on-campus stadium go into effect this year, FIU could end up playing all five of its home games at the Orange Bowl.
The Golden Panthers visit the Orange Bowl on Oct. 14 to play Miami, but construction of their proposed 23,700-seat stadium might force FIU to relocate to the Hurricanes' home stadium, according to FIU athletic director Rick Mello.
''Our target date for the new stadium has always been 2007,'' Mello said. ``In order to get it done that quickly, it will necessitate us playing one season outside our stadium, and the Orange Bowl would be the likely place, and that would have to be worked out with UM.''
The Hurricanes released their 2006 schedule this week, and only two home games conflict with Golden Panthers' home games: Sept. 30 and Nov. 4.
But Mello said those dates could be changed because of each team's television schedule.
''The two conferences may move games for TV,'' Mello said. ``We've put everyone on alert about a possible relocation to the Orange Bowl: Dade County schools, the Orange Bowl and UM. They know what our intentions are. We may possibly have to move those two conflicting games to Thursday night.''
Before FIU can relocate, the Golden Panthers have to choose a price and design for their new stadium from design teams at the end of February.
Once the plan is chosen, Mello said, he will go to campus committees to get proper approval followed by the ''ultimate approval'' from the FIU Board of Trustees, and then construction of the stadium would begin.
''We have spent a serious amount of energy on stadium plans,'' said Mello. ``But nothing is official until we receive proper approval from the board of trustees.''
The stadium construction plan would call for a design-build style in which the construction company would bring in the infrastructure and the new seats. The existing bleachers at FIU Stadium would be removed.
The goal is to provide 23,700 seats, with eventual plans to expand that.
Relocating for one season won't be a first for an FIU team. The Golden Panthers baseball team had to play its 1995 and 2000 seasons at Homestead Stadium when its baseball stadium was built in two phases.
Mello said the football stadium would be built in one phase. The target date for the opening of the stadium is September 2007 for the home opener against Maryland.
''Right now there's nothing that would stop from the opening of the stadium in 2007,'' Mello said.
Back to the top

LOCKHART4EVER
Back to the top

Yea Brother
Back to the top

Exit39 said

LOCKHART4EVER

Thats not even funny!! >:(

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

You are right it isn't and I hope something is squared away here soon. It needs to happen
Back to the top

I'd like to see it happen at least a few years before Howard retires so he can use it as a recruiting tool.

Back to the top

That's good news for FIU. They have a nice selling point for the recruits next season(2007) with the proposed stadium.

As they say in the recruiting world "kids do like new and shiny things".
Back to the top

07 is a year and half away. they haven't even brought it to the trustees yet. I don't think will have a 100 million dollar dome on campus by 07. I just want them to break ground. Once that is done atleast we will know it will happen. We've speculated on this forever.
Back to the top

Exit39 said

07 is a year and half away. they haven't even brought it to the trustees yet. I don't think will have a 100 million dollar dome on campus by 07. I just want them to break ground. Once that is done atleast we will know it will happen. We've speculated on this forever.

The last date of completion estimate in the newspaper earlier this month after KUD was chosen as the contractor was 2008. Last I remember, they are looking into their financing options right now.

Question for someone over there: What is the presence of IBM over there anymore? When I was going to school there, IBM had that whole huge complex. If they have anything left, are they good for some donations towards the stadium?

I'm pretty sure right accross the interstate from FAU at the IBM complex is where Bill Gates had his historic meeting with IBM to sell them DOS (which Gates didn't have yet).

Back to the top

Illinoisowl, things have changed considerably in the last 10 years. IBM sold the entire site including the property south of Spanish River Blvd. The Main site is now home to a couple dozen smaller companys, the land adjacent to Yamato Road is now an upscale strip mall, the land south of spanish river is a proposed city park (some of the land is being offered as a possible home to Scripps Institute), a new city library is nearing completion near the south entrance to the old site, and the former IBM recreation site is also being offered to Scripps. IBM now employs maybe a 1,000 folks on Congress Ave. in an office park north of Clint Moore Road. IBM is not much of a factor around here anymore.
Back to the top
Control functions: