Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Surprised by Coach Doh's comments?

Add topic

Anybody else a little surprised by Coach Doherty's comments lately regarding not wanting to return to UNC, being the "black sheep", etc?

As a proud UNC alum and a huge fan of Doh's I understand some of his frustrations. However, it was still disappointing to hear. There is so much support for Doherty and the FAU program on the Carolina boards. FAU has more "satellite" fans than ever before.

Here's a Tarheel that is really pulling for Doh to get the guys straightened back out.

Back to the top

I'm probably quite a bit older than most of the people that post on this board. I've also experienced some failures along the way. Nothing to do with my FAU education. Just some bad choices. As a matter of fact I'm older than Doherty.
Doherty came from a successful program and Dean Smith, his mentor, was a very sucessful coach. Many of his team mates went on to do well. Doherty was doing great until the UNC incident. I'm sure it embarrased him a great deal. He might even feel that he let quite a few people down. Its till fresh in his mind and I'm sure he has analysed the whole episode in his head a 1000 times trying to figure out where he made the mistakes and what he could have done different. He might have lost some confidence in himself. Maybe even a little self esteem. I think when he starts experiencing success again, the way he feels will change. It will just take time. We're hoping he takes FAU to unheard of heights.

I just hope he's not thinking that it can't get much worse than this, coaching at a university with no basketball history and somewhat unheard of. The Boca Raton area down there is a very nice place to live and FAU is a great school with a great deal of potential.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I was surprised to read those comments as well.

But you can't blame him for his bitterness. He was screwed. Maybe it will wear off, slowly.

Are the children who sit at the table near the FAU bench his? Just curious. They seem like nice kids.

Back to the top

Oh yeah, let's hope Doherty is not treated the same way the band director was …

If Doherty's name starts popping up in talk of IA coaching replacements, should FAU fire him?

Back to the top

Not surprised at all. He's said it quite a few times over the last year or so; and I too see these comments as completely understandable. He dreamed of playing at UNC for Coach Smith since the age of 13 and worked very hard to make that dream come true — totally enjoyed his time as a player and alum and felt like he was truly coming home again in July of 2000 . . .
After everything went down, I'm sure he felt like the proverbial red-headed step child and still does.

I also agree that he still has an awful lot of fans out there from his playing days —- I just hope he knows that too.

Sorry for the ramble —- I'll be more concise the next time!
Back to the top

BMarkey,

Though I hardly agree with the way Doh's ousting was handled by the University, I think it would be completely unfair and complete off-base to say that Matt was "screwed". There were mistakes made on both sides. The fact of the matter is that at UNC, there are expectations to compete nationally every year. Furthermore, Dean Smith set the standard for coaching behavior and player relationships. This simply wasn't happening.

That's over and done with though. Again, Matt Doherty has such a fond spot in so many Tarheel hearts as both a player and a coach. I think this is a really neat opportunity for him. I anxiously follow FAU's every game and this message board to see how he's doing. I really hope he's having fun and enjoying himself again. Chapel Hill can be such a pressure cooker that it can be awfully hard to enjoy even the successful times, because there's always the next game to win, the next recruit to win over from Duke, etc.

Go Owls.
Back to the top

Thanks for the comment coacht. Hopefully Mat reads this board and realizes he has no shortage of friends in N.C.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

The way I see it, when you go through a dificult failure and disappointment like he did, it's a good thing to reflect on the past to learn from the mistakes that was made and then in order to move forward you have to cut all ties, burn all bridges in order to turn the page and start a new chapter which he is doing here at FAU.

So those comments I think reflect more those setiments in order for him to move forward, it take a lot of efford and strenght to reflect back, admit the mistakes made and make a commitment to the self-development need to bring forth change.

I also believe that in time when he has reach others goals he has set for himself it will be easier for him to face his nemesis, UNC and Chapel Hill and face them without the emotional drains that must still linger, which has an negative effect on attitude, so the only way to stay positive and keep any negative vibes from effect him - it is best to burn those bridges for now.
And in time those wounds will heal and returning to Alma Mater and will show his strenght and growth as a person.
Back to the top
Control functions: