Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Guy shot at FAU in front of IRT

Add topic

Back to the top

sounds bad. We'll have to see what the investigation comes up with. I'm sure they'll check his blood for drugs. The way the guy acted it would seem he was on something.

A black Lexus in the dormitory parking lot?! ??? Things have changed since I went to college. You would more than likely see a 10 year old rusted VW bug back then.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I'm sure he was high on something. The guy lives on my floor in IRT and they taped of his room and put that tape stuff on the room that if someone enters it breaks so they are going to be searching through his room.

On the side note I guess things have changed, there are some real nice cars around campus like m3's and such.
Back to the top

That's crazy, I drove past campus this morning on my way to work and saw all of the News trucks.

Speaking of kids acting crazy (and I am in no way saying that this kid could be the one involved) but did anyone see that guy roaming around the basketball game with the hockey stick replacment blade??? He didn't sit down the whole game, he just paced the sidelines waving this blade. It's not the first game I've seen him at either, but hey, if he's helping with the attendance then who cares right?

Illinoisowl, it's not just the cars that have gotten better, apparantly the drugs have too!
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

That's crazy, I drove past campus this morning on my way to work and saw all of the News trucks.

Speaking of kids acting crazy (and I am in no way saying that this kid could be the one involved) but did anyone see that guy roaming around the basketball game with the hockey stick replacment blade??? He didn't sit down the whole game, he just paced the sidelines waving this blade. It's not the first game I've seen him at either, but hey, if he's helping with the attendance then who cares right?

Illinoisowl, it's not just the cars that have gotten better, apparantly the drugs have too!

Yeah that kid who walks around the games with his hockey stick is one of my new roommates and he is pretty damn crazy. Not just weird but I think certifiably crazy. We have absolutely no clue why the hell he does that. He isnt the kid who was shot though. The papers are reporting the guy who was shot was a 6'+ 250 lbs balck guy.
Back to the top

I find it odd that the FAU police chief emphasized that one of the two female police officers at the scene feared for her life and fired three shots. The other female officers did not feel threatened enough to fire (according to two newspaper reports), and at least one other officer (not sure if it was male or female) was nearby and did not fire.

Incidents like this (and the fatal shooting at UCF) indicate to me that campus police officers need a great deal more training.

When I was in college a million years ago, the officers on our campus generally appeared to be and acted like those who could not cut it in larger and city/county departments. I hope that is not the case at FAU and elsewhere in Florida.

Palm Beach Post (last to report on this incident)
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2006/02/08/0208fau_shooting.html

Sun-Sentinel:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-208fau,0,718884.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Back to the top

lngbrdr said

TeamBeer said

Yeah that kid who walks around the games with his hockey stick is one of my new roommates and he is pretty damn crazy. Not just weird but I think certifiably crazy. We have absolutely no clue why the hell he does that. He isnt the kid who was shot though. The papers are reporting the guy who was shot was a 6'+ 250 lbs balck guy.

There were a couple of guys like that living in the dorms when I was there. Their roomates were miserable. I wondered how guys like that got into college and how did they stay in college. They must have rich parents that pulled some strings. Otherwise I don't see them with the GPA or SAT scores to get in.

Back to the top

Speaking about the officer fearing for her life, tonight on the news they said FAU has 24 armed officers on campus. It is hard to believe only 2 work the night shift.

Why wasn't backup called? Why wasn't this individual subdued with a Taser (cops whip them out early & often these days) or with the good old fashioned night stick?

By all accounts, this student sounds like he was a bit off his rocker, but as a huge gun advocate pulling the trigger should have been the last resort. Also, no one is trained to shoot to injure, it's shoot to kill; this chick needs to spend some time on the range or get a desk job.

With the amount of money FAU will have to spend in legal fees and compensation to this kid and his family, kiss the dome GOODBYE!!!
Back to the top

Is the campus police dept autonomous of the university admin? Are these state employees or employees of the university? I do know they have the power of arrest just like a highway patrol officer.

This isn't good news. Investigations are going on and the guy was not totaly innocent by any means.

Back to the top

I guess I will try and play devils advocate. In the story run by the sun-sentinel the student who was shot was over 6 feet tall and around 300 lbs. The guy quite possibly could've weighed more than both of the female officers combined. The story also says that the guy was told to put his hands up which he did and then went to his back pocket. Unfortunetly that move was what did this guy in. You do that to any officer and I highly doubt they are going to pull just a taser on you. They like anyone in there right mind thought he was going to pull a gun on him. Once they pull their guns on you and you charge them they arent just going to run away. One of the two stories also points out the fact that the officer who was charged at was the one who fired. I highly doubt this guy has any case against the school.
Back to the top
Control functions: