Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

TeamBeer, how was the banquet?

Add topic

Hey Teambeer,
I saw you said you went to the basketball banquet today. How was it? Was it heavily attended? Did Doherty and Dugan seem excited and say interesting things?

I'm just trying to get a tab on how the buzz in the community is.
Back to the top

It was my first time and from what I understand the attendance was way up from the first one in december, I gathered that there were roughly 10 people at the first one and probably around 30 there today.

Both coaches were trying to stay positive after each coming off one point losses but from the sounds of things they are confident going into the end of the season. Doherty says we are the second best team in the conference, lipscomb is gonna be the team to beat in the A-sun tourney and they are just at "hair better" than FAU. He said the good thing thus far is that FAU hasn't played the best it can yet this season, he's hoping we finally hit our stride right at the end of the season. Interestingly enough the team was practicing today and they weren't allowed to use the FAU locker room or wear their FAU equipment. They had to show up to the gym in their own gear and leave right after. This was done in an effort to have the players respect and appreciate the opportunity to wear those letters and they didn't do that by coming out soft against Mercer. Needless to say he's positive about what's ahead. He also mentioned that he has been pleasantly suprised with the way things have turned out this season, he didn't really know what to expect at the begining of the season. Recruiting is going well, he's hoping to put a few more pieces in place for next season and we'll be a strong squad.

Sorry I can't really give you more than that but they didn't really get indepth at the meeting. Everyone is very happy with the way things have turned out this year, both teams are doing well and attendance is up!
Back to the top

That sounds pretty good. I don't know much about the bball program prior to Doherty but did Sidney Green host these sort of banquets? I'd imagine he didn't, if not maybe they'll continue to gain in attendance. Either way they're definitely a good way of getting the community involved.

It sounds like Doherty is really trying to instill school pride in these guys but it must be extremely difficult when there is no tradition behind those letters. Hopefully his tactics work because people should be proud to wear the FAU symbol.

ON another note I think we shoudl be excited for both teams. THe women don't get much play here on the boards but they are second in the A-Sun. Wouldn't it be great if both teams made the tourney this year?

Thanks for responding TeamBeer.
Back to the top

Apetbrown, Tradition has got to start somewhere and I agree all the kids should be proud to wear the FAU letters and symbol. As the programs continue to grow strong support will build the traditions
Back to the top
Control functions: