Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

A-Sun vs Sunbelt conferences

Add topic

I was looking at the Sportsline polls. Unfortunatley, they haven't been updated since Wednesday.

It looks like the transition for FAU into the Sunbelt should go pretty smooth. The A-Sun highest ranking team as of last Wed. is Belmont @ #144 then Lipscomb @ # 164. The Sunbelt highest rank is So Bama @ #91 then MTSU @ #114. Those are the only SBC teams ranked higher than Belmont. After that, both conferences fall out randomly all the way to the bottom. New Orleans is # 281 and FIU, who actually has the worst record in the Sunbelt, is # 263. FAU is # 206. Now remember, this is as of 2/22/06. I'm sure it will be different after this weekend's games.

The Sunbelt may be considered the better basketball conference, but I don't think by very much looking at where the teams are in the polls. With Monroe and Rice a year older as well as the rest of the returning team and Doherty's new recruits like Hughley, I would say FAU will do ok in the Sunbelt. I think they need to be in the ACC or BigEast

Some of our opponent schools may object to what I have posted here but I challenge them to prove me wrong. 8-)

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I agree that we should do well next year in the Sunbelt, with the returning team as well as some changes I 'm sure Doherty has in mind we should have a shot at the top of the Sunbelt even in our first year. We need to support the team with a strong home court advantage by doubling our attendence next year just as we did this past season.

Unfortunately I think we a more than a few years away from the ACC or Big East but we are definately moving in the right direction. Let's start by winning the A-Sun Tourney next weekend. What a great way to go out for the Seniors.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

We also have to take into consideration that some teams match up so differently in other leagues.
Back to the top

mratings.com has a bunch if links to ranking the conferences. asun is usually 30th out of 32 conferences in the country. sunbelt is 19th
Back to the top

Western Kentucky is the best team in the Sunbelt. They have an RPI of 47 and have a legit chance of making the tournament as an at-large team. The SunBelt is a BIG step up from the A-Sun. Asking the Owls to be at the top of the league next year is a large task. A lot will depend on how good the new players coming in next year will be on how well this team performs. Don't forget we'll lose Webb, Marshall, and Young this year. My best guess is by our 2nd year in the conference we'll be competing for the automatic bid. I'd be happy if we were middle of the SunBelt next year.
Back to the top

noway. Jeff Parmer is legit. If we score Stuartdo Boloandno (spelt it wrong but its close). With Sanchez Hugley. Carlos and Paul Graham will solid sophs. We would be insane. The Stuart guy is the best unsigned JC guy in the nation. Major teams are going after him. He's at a JC in Miami Dade. Jeff Parmer could start on most big east teams. Also that seven footer is still in the works.

We could be totally legit next year if we land those two.
Back to the top

The SunBelt is a considerably better league. Troy found that out this year, although it surprised many 'Belt bretheren (including Denver last Saturday). The Trojans putting a serious beating on Western Kentucky, then lost to teams like Arkansas State and North Texas. Every SunBelt team is better than any A-Sun team this year.

Middle Tenn. just beat Western Kentucky last weekend, and South Alabama could possibly get an at-large berth as well.

Unfortunately, the SunBelt gets treated just about the same as the A-Sun when it comes to to Dance bids (usually one per year, and maybe one or two to the NIT). Its tourney games are relegated to the non-existent ESPN Plus (local TV), until the final, which is on a national network - hopefully not at 9 a.m. The SunBelt deserves better.

FAU will have to step it up next year to even compete. I hope that happens.

One thing will be certain - Troy and FAU will bring up the rear in SunBelt facilities. Most SunBelt teams have real, nice arenas and they draw major crowds. Troy drew more than 3,000 people for some games this year (near sell-outs), but other 'Belt teams averaged more than that.

Back to the top

The building is the thing that worries me about recruiting as well. I was looking at who's interested in Stuard Baldonado, the 4* JC guy from MDCC and if playing in a great building is what he's looking for then I can guarantee that UGA, Purdue or Western Kentucky would have us beat.
The ONE thing I think we can bring to the table is that we are in South Florida and this kid is from Colombia, South America, now I don't know if that's why he's playing in Miami but staying in South Florida might keep him comfortable. Certainly more comfortable than any of the other places he has offers from!
Oh yeah, and we have a decent coach too!
Back to the top

BMarkey said

The SunBelt is a considerably better league. Troy found that out this year, although it surprised many 'Belt bretheren (including Denver last Saturday). The Trojans putting a serious beating on Western Kentucky, then lost to teams like Arkansas State and North Texas. Every SunBelt team is better than any A-Sun team this year.

Middle Tenn. just beat Western Kentucky last weekend, and South Alabama could possibly get an at-large berth as well.

Unfortunately, the SunBelt gets treated just about the same as the A-Sun when it comes to to Dance bids (usually one per year, and maybe one or two to the NIT). Its tourney games are relegated to the non-existent ESPN Plus (local TV), until the final, which is on a national network - hopefully not at 9 a.m. The Sunbelt deserves better.

FAU will have to step it up considerably nest year to even compete. I hope that happens.

One thing will be certain - Troy and FAU will bring up the rear in SunBelt facilities. Most SunBelt teams have real, nice arenas and they draw major crowds. Troy drew more than 3,000 people for some games this year (near sell-outs), but other 'Belt teams averaged more than that.

I agree that the Sunbelt is a better conference but I don't agree that any Sunbelt could beat any A-Sun. Lipscomb could beat several Sunbelt teams including New Orleans and maybe a couple others.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

The building is the thing that worries me about recruiting as well. I was looking at who's interested in Stuard Baldonado, the 4* JC guy from MDCC and if playing in a great building is what he's looking for then I can guarantee that UGA, Purdue or Western Kentucky would have us beat.
The ONE thing I think we can bring to the table is that we are in South Florida and this kid is from Colombia, South America, now I don't know if that's why he's playing in Miami but staying in South Florida might keep him comfortable. Certainly more comfortable than any of the other places he has offers from!
Oh yeah, and we have a decent coach too!

Facilities are the only thing really holding back the athletic program. We have top level coaches in every major sport and great location, but until the facility issues are addressed, recruiting is going to suffer some and unfortunately so will attendance.

I think this has more of an impact on football (and to a lesser extent baseball) though, than on basketball. The Gym/Arena isn't great, but it isn't a terrible place to watch a game. It used to be a dark, depressing place to be, but they have made some improvements and cleaned it up. Thanks to Hurricane Wilma, it got a new roof and new lights and it seems brighter in the gym. I think that if we can get 2,000+ in that place per game, I think it would create a great college basketball atmosphere. I'm not sure what the other buildings in the Sun Belt are like, but I know that ours is at least on par with FIU's.
Back to the top
Control functions: