Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

What are your thoughts on Boosters

Add topic

buying out the CURRENT coach's contract and replacing him with someone THEY want? I'm not talking about them having the backing or approval of the AD or President. Just a group of rich guys get together and decided that they've had enough of this particular coach. Would his won/loss record have a part in your opinion?

The movies just mimics the reality of what goes on behind the scenes. Remember The Titans,The Program,Varsity Blues etc. just happen to be about football but it happens in all big time sports.

Thoughts?
Back to the top

Does this really happen? If it does, I assumed it was a win/loss issue. Ron Zook had a winning record but he lost the two most important games of the year. GA and FSU. I don't know who wanted him out though. Zook is less than an hour from here trying to rebuild the Illini and battling some politically correct group that thinks Illini (native american tribe of the Illinois area) is offensive and insulting to native american people. He seems to be well received here. I know UI has some powerful boosters. They seem satisfied.

To specifically answer your question, I don't know whats right. If the boosters fork over millions of dollars, they might have some say so. The university is under a lot of pressure to keep that money rolling in. Its kind of a catch 22.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Oh yeah, it happens. The most visible high school it happens at is Valdosta GA. These people pour millions into that program. Winning is very important. They provide a new truck and house for some incoming coaches. Anything less than the state championship is a lost season! They used to rule the surrounding areas but new schools have been built and is taking away from their player selections. Therefore they can't win like they used to. But nobody told the boosters that part apparently.

USF Boosters are in the process of backdooring their basketball coach. They stuck this guy in one of the toughest conference in basketball (Big East) with C-USA talented players. Now they want instant production. He had to clean house last year because of some problem players from the previous system. He is trying to recruit his type of players who listen and go by the rules. But the losses are mounting up.

Read On:
http://www.tbo.com/sports/MGBG703P7KE.html

Bulls Boosters Working To Lure Huggins
Skip directly to the full story.
By BRETT McMURPHY [email protected]

Published: Feb 28, 2006

TAMPA - A group of prominent University of South Florida boosters is committed to providing nearly $1 million to buy out the final three years of Coach Robert McCullum's contract in hopes of hiring former Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins, The Tampa Tribune has learned.

Sources told the Tribune that boosters have spoken with Richard Katz, Huggins' attorney, about Huggins coming to USF and there is a "mutual interest." The discussions have been going on for about a month.

"Certainly Coach Huggins is going to be looking to coach major college basketball," Katz said. "We're in the process of reviewing certain situations. That's all I can say at this time."

Katz said Monday he has not spoken with any university officials at USF.

McCullum, 27-57 overall and 6-40 in conference play in three years at USF, has three years remaining on the six-year contract he was given by former USF athletic director Lee Roy Selmon. If fired by USF, McCullum would be owed around $850,000-$900,000.

"I don't think it's fitting to respond to public sentiment," McCullum said. "That's the only comment I'm going to have. This is obviously the first I've heard about it."

USF AD Doug Woolard would not comment about Huggins. He also refused to assess McCullum's performance or the state of the basketball program, which is two losses from finishing with the worst record in school history and only the Big East's second winless season in league play in the past 25 years.

Woolard, who evaluates each of his coaches after the season, said he would evaluate McCullum "shortly" after the season finale Saturday against No. 20 Georgetown. USF President Judy Genshaft was unavailable for comment.

In their inaugural Big East season, the Bulls (6-21, 0-14 Big East) have lost a school-record 16 consecutive games, the nation's second-longest losing streak. Because of injuries and player dismissals by McCullum, USF is down to only seven healthy scholarship players.

"I'm disappointed with this season as I'm sure the coaching staff is," said Mike Charles, president of the school's booster club. "We've played with the cards we've been dealt."

Charles would not discuss Huggins.

Since most coaching openings occur in the next few weeks, USF's group of boosters realizes it has only a small window before other schools will go after Huggins.

While USF's boosters are prepared to financially fund a coaching change, which could include the promise of a new practice facility, the biggest hurdle may be Genshaft, who is a close friend of Cincinnati president Nancy Zimpher.

Huggins was dismissed as Cincinnati's coach in August 2005 when Zimpher refused to extend Huggins' four-year rollover in his contract after he was arrested for a DUI in Fairfax, Ohio, on June 7, 2004.

Huggins received a $3 million buyout from the school, but told ESPN.com in December that he has heard from intermediaries from various schools and wants to return to coaching in 2006-07. "Athletic directors are smart people, and I think they can figure out I can coach and recruit," Huggins told ESPN.com. "I won't go somewhere I don't believe in."

In 24 seasons as a head coach, Huggins was 567-199 (74 percent). In 16 seasons at Cincinnati, he was 399-127 (76 percent) and led UC to 14 consecutive NCAA Tournaments, including the 1992 Final Four. He also led UC to 10 regular-season conference titles and eight league tournament titles. He was named Conference USA's Coach of the Decade.

At UC, Huggins signed three No. 1-rated junior-college players, five McDonald's All-Americans and five future NBA first-round draft picks. Six of his final nine recruiting classes were ranked among the nation's top 10.

Huggins also is close with Cincinnati North College Hill High's OJ Mayo and Billy Walker, considered two of the nation's top junior recruits. Mayo - regarded as the next LeBron James - and Walker reportedly will sign wherever Huggins coaches next season.

When USF was seeking a replacement for Seth Greenberg in 2003, Huggins told The Tampa Tribune that he thought USF was an attractive position.

"It's got everything you need, a good city, good airport and good facility," Huggins said at the 2003 Final Four in New Orleans.

Huggins' critics point to UC's widely reported zero-percent graduation rate and players who were arrested. However, the Cincinnati Post reported the zero-percent rate in 1996-98 was because UC's only freshman, Kenyon Martin, went to the NBA and didn't graduate.

Through 2005, the newspaper also reported, 25 of Huggins' players earned degrees, but the school didn't receive credit in the NCAA graduation rates because some of the players were transfers or graduated after the NCAA's five-year window.

"We expect to recruit very strong students, both on the court and in the classroom," Zimpher said after Huggins' dismissal. "We expect our coaches to be role models, and we expect our students to be role models. I will not apologize for setting high standards."

Huggins said he has learned from his mistakes.

"Unlike what people think, I can wake up every day and look at myself in the mirror and be proud of what we have accomplished," Huggins told Hoop-rap.com in October. "I have made mistakes, but not because I didn't try and not because I didn't care."

ESPN's Dick Vitale, who said he believes Huggins should be coaching somewhere next season, was livid about the USF boosters' involvement.

"It's very unfair and unethical for people to talk about replacing someone who is doing the toughest job in America," Vitale said Monday. "For programs that are struggling, until decisions are made, it will be rumors, rumors, rumors [about Huggins].

"USF is the toughest job in America for a coach in a major, major conference. To try and catch the people at UConn, Villanova, Syracuse, right down the line, that is an absolute battle. Football has a chance, but basketball will take a lot of work and a lot of commitment.

"They have a magical league to sell, but it's tough if you finish 13th, 14th, 15th or 16th on a regular basis and don't make the [Big East] tournament. I feel for Robert. I know how hard a worker, how dedicated he is. People don't understand what a tough job that is."

Back to the top

i wasn't aware that boosters were so prevalant in HS sports O.G. I mean, i figure a school like Pine Crest probably has some serious players but I didn't realize that Valdosta was so hard core! There isn't much else to do there though!
Back to the top

A very good coach was just let go at Valdosta this year. I think he went something like 7 or 8(?) wins over each of the last two season. Not good enough for the boosters because he didn't win any championships.
They went on a NATIONAL search for his replacement. That school have a very strong tradition in football.

I'm aware of two private schools who have boosters calling the shots too.
Back to the top

O.G. wasn't that the Old Apopka Coach
Back to the top

Yep. That was him. He made some good money to leave Apopka and coach in GA, but he knew what he was getting into.
I teased him on another board and asked if they also took the truck back.. ;D
Back to the top

I just noticed that even Matt alluded to boosters in his SI piece! I didn't see that article until about an hour ago.
Back to the top

I think it stinks but, with athletic departments needing the $$$$ what can realistically be done about it? The NCAA doesn't even to a credible job of preventing booster contact with (or direct contributions to) student athletes; how can universities lessen the impact of booster preferences concerning coaches, venues, heck even game times?????
Back to the top

Boosters are the heart beat of any program, money does talk. A very big reason why we do have a Doherty coaching our B-Ball team.

Back to the top
Control functions: