Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SI article on Doherty

Add topic

here's the article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/02/27/matt.doherty/index.html

From what they talk about at the end of that article it doesnt look like doherty will be here as long as we would hope he will be.
Back to the top

SI article on Doherty

Kind of disappointing to see Angelos quote at the end. the first time that I personally have seen the university state that they did not think he'd be around too long. At first I thought that was too bad the university was already conceding his departure. But then I thought maybe it is a situation where they have a succesor lined up. If Doherty leaves and Rex Walters is named head coach I wouldn't be disappointed at all.
Back to the top

SI article on Doherty

I guess we all new he wouldn't be around for very long. My only hope is that between Doherty and Schnelly we have enough pull to get the stadium situation done. I wouldn't mind at this point if it was an outdoor football stadium then a new arena for BBall, just let's go.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

SI article on Doherty

Unfortunate comment, for sure.

Also, this writer just had to take the obligatory and unnecessary shot at FAU as "commuter school" (an insult to the thousands of students living and enjoying campus) and the very tired old attendance comparison. Couldn't he have been smart enough to mention the 2,000-plus attendance games this season?

These national writers just gobble up what the last writer published and regurgitate the same tired trash.
Back to the top

SI article on Doherty

if you remember, Rex-n-effects wanted the Head Coaching job in the first place, that's how Doherty got involved (as a reference).
we will be very lucky to have Doherty for 5 seasons in my opinion, I would like him to stay down here till it's time to move his things into Century Village but it's not likely. i forsee him doing some great things down here in a few years and getting another big time offer. Hopefully I'm wrong, but Rex being the Head Coach would be pretty sweet after a few seasons.
If Doherty IS gonna leave, lets hope he recruits another team like the one he left at UNC!!!
Back to the top

SI article on Doherty

And…werent we a 15 seed against a #2 Alabama in 2002?
Back to the top

SI article on Doherty

I caught that too Markey about the commuter school that is the second time he made that comment. He did it during the football season.
Doherty moves the BBall program to the next one or two levels and hands it off to REX and both men become winners for FAU, Ir's fans, students, community and Athlete's. It is a win win situation that will go beyond the next couple of decades or longer.
Back to the top

SI article on Doherty

The irony is that if colleges come calling for him to leave FAU, it would mean that he's turn the program around.
Move away to move up.
Back to the top

SI article on Doherty

The author does not paint a real pretty picture of FAU. Its sort of hints of mediocrity, small insignificant school. I'm sure people in other states that read it don't picture an 850 acre campus full of buildings, growing every year and palm trees all over the campus.

About Doherty. You have to know money is part of the issue. According to the article, he took about a 73% pay cut. I personally would hate to see him go. I know what will happen though. I've been through it myself in my career. He's out of the pressure of running a big program. After he recuperates from the whole UNC incident he is going to start craving all the things he says now he doesn't miss.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

SI article on Doherty

SI article on Doherty

To touch on what Illinoisowl said: $650K per year will buy you a WHOLE lot more house in North Carolia than $175K per year will buy you in Boca that's for sure!
Back to the top
Control functions: