Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Student recants rape story

Add topic

I normally wouldn't post this but the issues surrounding the alleged rape at university caused a lot of concern at the time. Some very good people law abiding people were questioned in this investigation. Legal fingers weren't pointed but blunt whispers were all around. The unfortunate part is that she has also ruined the credible accounts of REAL victims.

No charges will be filed huh? I'm sure the "runaway bride" from Georgia from a year ago will beg to differ.

Article:

FAU student admits rape was a lie
By Stephanie Slater

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

A Florida Atlantic University student who had reported that she was sexually assaulted Feb. 26 in her car behind a campus library, told authorities this week it was a lie, university police said Tuesday.

"This was a sexual encounter, not a sexual assault," Police Chief William Ferrell said. "It was a consensual relationship." The Broward County woman admitted Monday that she made up the allegations that a man approached her and forced her into her car near the loading docks behind the S.E. Wimberly Library, police said.

Police do not know why the woman, whose name was not released, concocted the story.

The woman will not face criminal charges for filing a false police report, Ferrell said.

"I do believe the psychological effect of having to talk to her parents, because they supported her and believed in her that this did occur…will have more of an impact on her than me filing charges on her or having charges filed on her," Ferrell said.

The university, however, could take action against the student.

"It will go before the dean of student affairs and a decision will be made," a spokeswoman said.

The woman's allegation was the second on-campus rape reported in less than five months. On Oct. 21, another student said she was attacked at about 1 p.m. in a wooded area near Glades Road and Broward Avenue. That case is still under investigation, police said.

Back to the top

I saw the article. I thought about posting it for discussion. She could be expelled. It is up to the university. She owes some apologies of course. Although I don't know why no criminal charges would be filed. Does the girl come from a wealthy/prominent family? That could explain no charges filed.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

You question does make one wonder about social status in this case.
Back to the top

OG,

When I was living in GA. Some boys (high school) got drunk one night, drove around smashing car windshields with a baseball bat. They drove into a ditch that night, got stuck, the police found them and connected them with the vandelism. Their wealthy parents paid off all damage to the cars and the local police detective visted each person whose car was damaged and talked them into not pressing charges. The boys got community service.

So when I see no criminal charges for filing a false police report for rape, it makes me wonder. Especially when someone else was hurt by it.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: