Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

When will they ever learn?

Add topic

http://fausports.collegesports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/fau-diamond-diary.html

Bad news for the Owls for this weekends series against UNF in Jax. A starter will be missing from the lineup at least for Friday nights game, maybe more. I don't get it. KC has proven to them that he is going to stick to his guns regarding discipline for missing class and study hall time. I just hope it doesn't have a negative impact on the outcome of any of the games. We need at least 2 W's on this trip in my opinion. It just a shame, when the team is struggling and we have so many missing due to injuries, that we have to contend with this kind of garbage as well.
I can only say "Good Luck, guys". Go Owls!
Back to the top

Good move on the coach's part. The new NCAA rules really plays a major part in these type of decisions. I'm not saying that coach KC wouldn't have implemented his own rules anyway, but the new changes makes it tougher to turn a blind eye to the infractions. Too many other abiding players depend on it.

Maybe when the guys see the punishment from this incident, they'll tow the line even more.

Funny thing about what people told him about following rules. Coaching clinics and seminars are really along the same lines. I do it on a volunteer basis for youth and high school coaches. I have an attorney on my assigned team and his words are always ringing true to most real life situations.

"If you're not going to follow it, then don't put it in writing".
Back to the top

this is the first season since i can remember where i would just like the season to be over. so many expectations that have failed on every level.

I'm a huge cooney fan don't get me wrong. its just are one go to and its tough when its not there.
Back to the top

Guys the really bad news is the player in question has kicked off the team for good. This was not a first time offender. With all the injuries this year it will hurt even more to lose the player so I admire Coach Cooney for not looking the other way. Im pretty sure I know who it is but I wouldnt want to guess publicly. Im told it will be obvious who is missing come Friday night when you look at the starting lineup.
Back to the top

That's too bad for the rest of the team. Or is it?

There are some athletes that no matter how hard you try, you just cannot save them from themselves.
That goes for all level of sports.
Back to the top

The loss of Fonseca sure doesn't help our already depleted condition. I will miss his outstanding diving stops. And his career .310 avg will be missed as well. It's a doggone shame and Fons will look back on this as one of the biggest regrets of his life.
His mistake has opened the door for Arata (another freshman!) to step up. What started off as a very experienced team has turned into a rather young team. Although I'm not sure KC has found the right combination yet.
A look at the series:
……………………………………AB R H RBI BB SO LOB Avg.
Hafer……………………………13 1 5 2 0 2 1 .385
Arata……………………………13 1 2 0 0 7 1 .154
Ramirez………………………..13 0 3 2 0 4 3 .231
Silversmith…………………… 13 0 1 1 0 2 2 .077
Block…………………………….10 1 3 2 0 4 1 .300
Ozga……………………………. 4 1 1 0 0 2 0 .250
Mascia…………………………..12 1 3 0 2 3 6 .250
Stevens………………………… 3 0 2 2 1 0 2 .600
Cook…………………………….10 0 0 0 1 5 6 .000
Martin………………………….. 3 1 1 0 0 0 0 .333
Albano…………………………. 8 2 2 0 0 4 2 .250

Comments:
As Hafer keeps moving his numbers up, the rest of the team is going the other direction. Hafer continues to show steady improvment with each game and he's hitting the ball well. (Don't tell anyone, but he's sporting a 13 game hitting streak).
Can only hope B. Cooney never has another outing like his last start.
My suggested lineup:
Hafer-1b
Block-2b
Silversmith-c
Stevens-3b
Ramirez-dh
Mascia-lf
Durate-cf
Albano-rf
Arata-ss
Need to shake things up a bit and try to make something happen. Hafer's our best defensive first baseman (although he's solid in the OF as well); Block has proven himself on O and D; Silversmith is soild behind the plate (a catcher playing OF scares me); Stevens' bat is needed in the lineup on a regular basis; Ramirez needs to continue delivering RBI's; Mascia is lookin' to get hot; Durate has been used sparingly to this point. Hopefully regular PT will make him a producer; Albano needs to continue to produce; Arata has achance to prove himself.
That's my take. At the halfway point in the season and mostly conference games ahead, I'd say it's time for the Owls to start making their move. We have to accept the fact that it needs to be done without the help of McBryde, Widlansky, Shapland and McKenna.
A W tonight against Harvard and a sweep of Campbell this weekend would be a great start. Go Owls!

P.S. If you haven't seen the "Quick Hitters" feature on each players profile check it out. Select 'Roster' then click any name to pull up a players profile then click "QH".
Fun stuff!
Back to the top
Control functions: