Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Doherty courted by Seton Hall

Add topic

Tonight on the local NBC sports report there was a brief mention the Seton Hall is talking to Coach Doherty. Say it aint true. Was coach under contract for one season? Anyone else heard anything?
Back to the top

Doherty has a seven year deal I believe, but there is a buyout. I only found one article about the Seton Hall coaching job that mentions Doherty as a potential candidate, but it also mentions just about every current college coach with ties to the NY area. It also says that they are interested in talking to Manhattan's and Hofstra's head coaches.

I could be wrong, but I doubt that Doherty would leave after one season here unless it was a big time college program. Seton Hall is in the Big East, but it hardly seems the type of job Doherty would uproot his family to get.

I sure this won't be the last time that Doherty's name gets mentioned for another job. I guess we'll just have to get used to it. It's the price you pay for hiring a high-profile coach.
Back to the top

Your last paragraph is sooooo true. We better get used to it. The Big East is also very inviting.

I saw the Seton Hall coach Orr firing. Personally I'm thinking a Seton Hall grad to turn the program around. They have some talent on that team. Anyone who steps in can probably be competitive in about 2 years. Also the recruiting ground is one of the best.

Matt has a real good foundation here at FAU. I'm sure that he'll want to stay and build on this.
Back to the top

I saw that, too.

Typical TV "news" crap. Rip a one-liner from a newspaper, the Internet or some rumor mill and report it as if it's true (with no attribution), then don't even do enough homework to provide a complete report on what it's all about (if anything).

That type of thing should be an example in journalism text books on how not to be a reporter.

But what can you expect from TV "reporters" whose best skills are re-reporting the day's newspaper stories, and who cannot seem to proprly pronounce the "st" sound (as in "street". Hint: It's not "scht" …

Back to the top

If Doherty is truly looking to rebuild his reputation around the NCAA, he'll stay at FAU for a while. I think that he does and he will be here for at least two or three more years. The guy already had his dream job, unless someone comes at him with an amazing financial offer, he really has no reason to leave this soon. Everything Doherty is quoted as saying talks of how he and his family really enjoy the area and how he loves coaching in a less pressure-filled evironment. Add that to the fact that he had a nice recruiting class last year and another good one coming in, I doubt he's going anywhere just yet.
Back to the top

If the dome is started before Doherty leaves, I'm guessing he might feel he was a part of getting it done and place some attachment to it. I'm hoping that anyway. UF is having success with a basketball program and there is no reason why FAU couldn't do the same. Especially in the South Florida area. Gainsville is more country red neck/football only territory and the fact that a basketball team is successful right in the middle of football land is suprising. Doherty could establish a great basketball program at FAU (with the dome). I little dinky arena won't keep him there.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

he may interview for the job but he won't be offered it. he would have had to gotten us to the tourney. seton hall's couch had them in tourney.
Back to the top

IMO, I believe that Doherty would like to finish what he started here at FAU, I say he stays for at least 4-5 years if not longer. I don't think he would want to move his family again in such a short time.

We could be the next GM in about 4-5 years, now wouldn't that be sweet.
Back to the top

You just had to mention George Mason huh.. :'(
The little remaining faith I had was shot dead with their win vs UCONN.
Back to the top

They hurt just about everyone's brackets in one way or another - at first I thought their majic run had runned it's course, but man talk about a team that won't go away. They are playing some great BBall. Florida looks pretty solid as well!!
Back to the top
Control functions: