Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Band Music Selection?

I have a question for our SENIOR resident band member on the board. That's right DMarkey. You will always be the first one. :)

I don't have a clue about how music is chosen for the games or practice. My daughter was on the dance team years ago in high school and I knew a little bit about how it used to work. I also saw the movie. Drum Line ;D

Who actually have the final say on what's played? Does he/she take any input from the band members or leaders. How often do they open things up for suggestions, if at all? Do they play to the band's strength or will he/she make you learn new things if it's "in", regardless of the abilities of the members?

Thanks for your insight.

OG

PS
Drum Line: Favorite line after the competition just got finished kicking butt with their set. It was his band's turn…"hit 'em with a little Flight Of The Bumblebee". As the entire band rolls their eyes and groans aloud.. :D

Back to the top

Band Music Selection?

That I believe O.G. was Southern University, but the movie name was different, I think. That was a very cool 8-) movie. Regardless of who they were in the movie Southern has and always has had one of the best bands in the country, as is FAMU, and Grambling. Those guys are serious about there music. If FAU could get even close to that (which I thought this past year they were headed that way) that would be phenomenal.
Back to the top

Band Music Selection?

Souther U was the talk during the movie's run. However the fictitious band, Atlanta A&T, were actually made up of local high school and other university band performers from the Atlanta area
A friend from BCC Marching WildCats, gave me a clip from one of his pledge brothers' sons who actually participated from Morris Brown in Atlanta, for the movie. They grabbed band members from high schools and colleges from all around the area.

FAU will get 'er done real soon.. 8-)
Back to the top

Band Music Selection?

Hey all, sorry I didnt see this earlier. I had to study for a stupid Sociology test, YUCK!

Yes I will always be the first band member here ;) Haha…….FAUTuba is trying to steal my message board J/K. I luv ya Steve (and I still have your sunglasses).

Anyways……ultimately it is the band directors choice, and of course this throws a wrench into next years music selcetion. But back to the subject, the director will choose music approriate for the style marching we do (which is not the Drumline style, sorry guys), as well as music that will fit the intrumentation of the band. Certain songs need a certain number of instruments and if we dont have that we cant play it.

At the end of this football season Dr. Chapman asked us all what we would like to play and to give him suggestions for half time shows next season. The Grad Assistants were all going to write a show and then Dr. Chapman would have one as well. Now that we will have a new band director (which I belive one audition/interview happens today, and marching band kids are allowed to go ask questions) who knows what will happen.

I do know that one of the grad students that was a former member of Dr. Chapmans old band and is staying here next year and has already started writting a Journey show. At least one song will be City By The Bay. He had started writting this show and Dr. Prescott promised him that we would still get to do it even with the new band director (crosses fingers).

I will try to keep you all posted with what is going on, and Thank You all soooooooooo much for supporting the band!!!!! Time to go to class.

~Daphne

P.S. Drumline is not one of the most popular movies with band director so just a warning ;)

AEA
Back to the top

Band Music Selection?

I don?t know why the FAMU, Southern bands, etc. are so written about. A bunch of brass instrument blasts and some dancing does not make a great band. These bands are good but not as good as the hype would indicate. I appreciate a band that can really play the classics as well as the latest Beyonce tune.

Look to the SunBelt for some truly great bands, including Troy?s Sound of the South (Alabama?s best, and along with Texas, chosen for Warner Bros.? CD sent to high school directors across the nation), Middle Tennessee?s Band of Blue and even North Texas? band.

Alabama's Jacksonville State has the Marching Southerners, one of the best and biggest bands in the country. And Jax State is only a I-AA school. Jax and Troy used to have hours-long battles aftre the football games when they were Southland Conference rivals.

Any of these mentioned bands are at least as good as a FAMU or Southern and better than our state's biggest school bands. Some of them (Troy and Jax) top 300 members.

You can hear some Troy sounds at:
http://www.soundofthesouth.org/

Troy song samples:
http://www.soundofthesouth.org/songs/songs.html

Jacksonville State:
http://www.marchingsoutherners.org/media/

Thanks to a great start, excellent director and dedicated students, FAU?s band will soon be among them.

Back to the top

Band Music Selection?

Thanks for the response Daphne. Your explanation makes it easier to understand how things work when it comes to music decisions. Hopefully people will keep their word and abide by past agreements.

Thanks again.
Back to the top

Band Music Selection?

Band Music Selection?

Well even though the director has the final say on what goes on the field he has many obligations to fill. First, the athletic bands are run through the School of Music, so the director's bosses (director of bands- Dr. Kyle Prescott, and the chair of music) know what he's doing and can interject. Second, the bands are financed by the Office of the President and donors so you've got to always keep those people happy seeing that the shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars. And finally, the biggest obligation the director has is to athletics. They have told us what to play and sometimes when to play it. Sorry if that complicates things.

Oh and thanks for the introduction Daphne.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

Band Music Selection?

Sorry about the delayed welcome FAUtuba. Thanks for participating with us on the FAU website.

So you're telling me that there are several
"layers" of politics involved in the music selections?!?
That can create a lot of territorial battles.
Hypothetically: A certain celebration is coming up. What happens if one group want a Kenny G selection and another group want a Quincy Jones set? Who breaks the tie?

Also:
Say that athletics approach the band director for a potential veiwed controversial set. Does Dr Prescott and the Chair have to check with the Office of the President before it is approved?

Thanks
Back to the top

Band Music Selection?

Since we are on the subject of music check this out. I found this a few months ago thought it was pretty cool.

http://fightmusic.com/
Back to the top

Band Music Selection?

I know that last football season, people in the athletics depatment called for the "Hey" song and "Who Let the Owls Out".

"Hey" was played.
Back to the top
Control functions: