Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Campbell fans hypocritical?

They were pretty rough on FAU at the A-Sun basketball tournament for moving to their new conference. A couple I sat next to came back after being eliminated just to root against FAU. Then I read this:

Campbell announces plans to resume football in 2008

April 7, 2006

BUIES CREEK, N.C. (AP) – Campbell plans to resume football for the 2008 season, the first time in more than a half-century it will field a team.

The Camels will compete in NCAA Division I-AA, a non-scholarship level, similar to programs such as Davidson and Jacksonville. Both currently play in the Pioneer Football League along with Butler, Dayton, Drake, Morehead State, San Diego and Valparaiso.

Campbell plans to apply for league membership as well.

"College football is one of the most exciting events in our country," athletic director Stan Williamson said. "The atmosphere that on-campus intercollegiate football brings to a campus is exhilarating. The addition of football at Campbell will certainly enhance the student life aspect of Buies Creek."

Football began at the school in 1925 and continued for 25 years, except for a six-year hiatus during World War II. Campbell joined Division I in 1977 and became a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference in 1994. The A-Sun conference doesn't have football among its 17 sports.

Campbell still must build football facilities, including a stadium, practice field and locker room. Expected costs are $2 million.
Back to the top

I would bet that the fans you sat by at the game were not the ones who actually made the decisions like these… ;D
Those fans probably didn't even realize it as they spoke.

Good for Campbell.
Back to the top

Good for Campbell is right. I don't know how FAU has been treated during the regular season, but the entire conference was brutal at the basketball tourney towards FAU. They weren't even close to saying, good for FAU.

Back to the top

They never would publicly say it. You remember the days of the D1-AA message board, Any Given Saturday? Some have actually been supportive of the move but very quietly AFTER we left.

I like to look at that type on mentality as the crabs in a bucket theory. "we can't get out so we will not allow you to escape. We will use our claws and pull you and anyone else who tries to leave, right back into this bucket every chance I get. Therefore none of us will ever get out."

Back to the top
Control functions: