Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Brogan article

Add topic

Here is an article with an interview of Brogan. He talks about the dome and does mention there is consideration for a "regular" stadium. He also talks about the Cleveland Indians and the deal with them. He speaks rather positive about that deal. He also mentions the vision Doherty has for the basketball program. I take that as a decision to stay at FAU for a while. If all this happens, I don't see why Doherty would want to leave anyway. If FAU gets a state of the art professional baseball faciity a dome and a teaching hospital on campus, I might apply for a job at the university just to be part of it. That will get me back in Florida also.

the link is too big so I'll copy and paste the article.

Brogan talks about FAU's football program, prospects for domed stadium

Frank BroganStory Tools
Email this story | Print By LAUREL SCHEFFEL
[email protected]
April 14, 2006
Frank Brogan became the fifth president at FAU in March 2003. He previously served as lieutenant governor of Florida, the state's commissioner of education, superintendent of schools in Martin County and a principal, assistant principal, dean and fifth-grade teacher in Martin County public schools.
Brogan was in Stuart on Monday and chatted with reporter Laurel Scheffel.

Q. What did you think of (men's basketball coach) Matt Doherty in his first season?
A. He is not only a first-class X's and O's coach, but he also is a first-class man. He is dynamic, he is a wonderful marketer for his program… He is everywhere promoting his program. He has a great vision for our program, and we are very fortunate. … He brought in some great coaches, has already brought in some wonderful new recruits and is dedicated to helping us build a first-class basketball program. If the crowds are any indication this year already, we are in for some exciting times. He's really brought a bang to the program.

Q. How would you assess the football program since you arrived at FAU?

A. We are rebuilding. … I attended the first game at Dolphin Stadium when we first started to (play football) and very quickly (coach) Howard Schnellenberger and his staff took, not a fledgling, but a brand new program to amazing heights. In our fourth year, we were in the semifinals of the national championships in Division II. Then that first year of athletes all graduated, so we begin again. Now, we begin rebuilding again with better facilities and better tradition. We are in our second rebuilding year. Last year was 2-9, it was tough, but not only were we rebuilding, we faced the first year of Division I-A play … four national teams that all went to bowl games. You pay your dues.

Q. You mentioned facilities, where is FAU in the move to get a domed football stadium?

A. Facilities are an integral part in all this. … This is not just a place to play. This will be our athletic home, and it will also be a powerful magnet for fans and future recruits to the university. It's a very important part of our growth at FAU and our athletics.

We hope this summer to be able to begin take to the board of trustees plans for what the facilities might look like, how they might be financed. I would say we are still three years away from playing in a new facility or facilities. I say that because whether it's one domed facility that seats 40,00 or whether it's a convocation center for basketball, volleyball, etc., and a football stadium, that also has to be resolved. We will be in a better position to do that this summer.

…. (One domed facility) allows us to think outside the box. If you can do both under one roof, it gives you a versatility not only for the university but also for the community that other facilities simply don't provide for you. … It really could provide a significant under-roof venue for this part of the state that is not existent.

Q. Are there any new developments in the joint deal with the Indians to move their spring training site to Boca Raton?

A. We are very interested. It is very preliminary. … (The Indians) sent us the specifications to see if we might fit in Boca Raton, on the campus, a facility in which to play and practice facilities, or if in combination with the City of Boca, we might between the two of us provide enough land for the game facility and the practice facility and the clubhouse. … We are working with the city on the concept and with the Indians.

… What do we get from that? First of all, a first-class place to play baseball, and we need an expanded and renovated baseball facility. Secondly, we get practice fields for baseball and softball. And thirdly, we get a place for community to come together because these fields would be available not only to FAU but also to the community.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Brogan article

Sounds good, but still no news on the fund raising or specifics of the plans?

Also:

In our fourth year, we were in the semifinals of the national championships in Division II.

Frank … Division II? Try I-AA.

Back to the top

Brogan article

BMarkey said

Sounds good, but still no news on the fund raising or specifics of the plans?

Also:

In our fourth year, we were in the semifinals of the national championships in Division II.

Frank … Division II? Try I-AA.

That might not have been Brogan. Remember all the misquotes of the past. "tiny university", "2nd smallest basketball gym in the country with a capacity of 970".
It may have been the writer. He may have said 2A and she wrote down II. I assume Laurel is a she. Or it could be he. Maybe he/she thought Brogan is Canadian. "Semi finals in division II ay".

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Brogan article

Brogan article

illinoisowl said

We hope this summer to be able to begin take to the board of trustees plans for what the facilities might look like, how they might be financed. I would say we are still three years away from playing in a new facility or facilities.

Looks like we are going to get more info by the time the season starts and for him to make a statement like three years away from having a playing facilities, confirms that things are moving in the right directions. With all the upgrades we need for all sports as we make our trasition to I-A, they are making sure that all of the financial aspects are going to be in place as to not to repeat the mis-evaluations that occurred when football was first introduced.

I think they are being very careful to make sure everything is in order, before giving any specifics which is understandable, IMO just knowing that in three years it could very well be a reality makes me very excited
Back to the top

Brogan article

I can only assume the writer was careful enough to properly quote him. Those were supposed to be Brogan's exact words (as opposed to the stupid comments of a writer about a "tiny" or "commuter" school.

Also, sometimes these question-and-answer type interviews are audio recorded and/or taken from e-mails from the subjects.

Back to the top
Control functions: