Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Doherty Accepts SMU Job - All 3 S.Fla Newspapers

Add topic

In my mind, the most important quote is from Hutton's Sentinel article……

Xavier Perkins, a senior at St. Andrew's who is regarded as the top recruit of FAU's incoming class, said Sunday he still intends on attending FAU in the fall.

"It's a business, and [Doherty] is doing what he feels is best for him," Perkins said. "He recruited a great class and we are going to have a great team."

Perkins said he hopes that assistant coaches Rex Walters and James Stafford, who were both hired by Doherty and helped with recruiting, stay at FAU.

I also found it interesting that Marcus Nelson mentions Stan Van Gundy as a possible candidate in his Post article….I posted that a few days ago. I guess the former Heat coach is bound to get mentioned for any opening in the area. However, I really hope that Rex is given the first opportunity. He is a young coach with some good assistant coaching expirience. Judging by the Perkins quote, he also seems to be respected by recruits and current players.

Hopefully, a deal with a new head coach is done soon. Anyone have other ideas for replacements should Walters not get the opportunity??
Back to the top

When I do a search for FAU, I get about 4 pages of newspapers covering the story.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I hate to hear that. He was just using FAU. You would think he would stay two or three years just as a matter of honor and good faith.
Back to the top

That's good news coming from Perkins. That kid is a player and he intends to honor his committment.

Good move young man!
Back to the top
Control functions: