Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching Search

Add topic

Coaching Search

From the Herald…see the last sentence for timeline. Also sounds like Angelos is ready to just give Van Gundy the job….bad move if you ask me.

'Another Matt' is sought by Owls
BY CAMMY CLARK
[email protected]

Matt DohertyAfter only one year into a seven-year contract, Florida Atlantic basketball coach Matt Doherty resigned Monday to take a more lucrative and high-profile job at Southern Methodist University.

FAU athletic director Craig Angelos said he figured Doherty, who coached previously at Notre Dame and North Carolina, eventually would leave. Angelos just didn't expect it to be so soon.

But Angelos said he does not regret hiring Doherty, who took over for the fired Sidney Green and led the team to a 15-13 record – its third winning season since becoming a Division I program in 1993.

''We want to try to find another Matt,'' Angelos said.

FAU assistant Rex Walters, a former Heat player, is a ''strong candidate.'' Walters also is the players' overwhelming choice, according to FAU guard DeAndre Rice.

But Angelos said he also would like to hire another ''big splash'' coach. In Doherty's short reign, the program tripled its ticket revenues and doubled its attendance.

Former Heat coach Stan Van Gundy has been mentioned as a possibility.

''Not that I have had any contact with Stan Van Gundy, but he would fit the bill if he's interested,'' Angelos said.

Doherty made $171,000 a year at FAU, but will make about $600,000 a year as part of a five-year deal at SMU. FAU gets $200,000 because of a buyout clause.

Doherty takes over for Jimmy Tubbs, who was fired after several NCAA violations came to light.

''I promise you I never coached with one eye on another job and one eye on FAU,'' Doherty said Monday night. ``I had both eyes on FAU to make it a better place.''

Angelos said he hopes to hire a coach within two weeks.

Back to the top

Coaching Search

Angelos get smart go with Rex that is what the players want and that is what will give you the best returns. They will make the fans grow, they will bring in the recruits. Listen to your players they are the ones that where effected in this mess. This will help with cohesiveness for the team. At least give him the shot and if it doesn't work then go after someone. They way things are these days that shouldn't be a problem look at what just happened at FAU.

If you all that post here want Rex I would send e-mails to Angelos and Brogan. They need to know how the die hards feel
Back to the top

Coaching Search

Angelos on the local news tonight claiming that Rex is the top candidate at this time…

I really don't want to lose DeAndre Rice or Rex!
Back to the top

Coaching Search

TeamBeer said

Angelos on the local news tonight claiming that Rex is the top candidate at this time…

Thats true. If we lose everyone, it back to square one in a rebuilding year again.

What the word on Monroe? Is he staying?

To any of you guys down there, has Doherty been on camus yet? Is he expected to come and get his things? Whats the story on that if there is one?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Coaching Search

Not sure Illinoisowl, he mentioned in the press conference that he had spoken to the team earlier that day but I'm not sure if it was on campus at FAU or via phone or what. He could have packed his things on Sunday or Monday since it's assumed that it was a done deal by the weekend.
Back to the top

Coaching Search

TeamBeer said

What station was this on?
Back to the top

Coaching Search

NBC, Channel 3 in PBC
Back to the top

Coaching Search

The one BIG thing I like about Rex Walters is he says he wants to stay. He wants the job and doesn't want to go to Texas. I hope when people all over the country read all the publicity this thing is getting (believe me, there is probably 200+ newspapers reporting all this stuff) that they notice those comments from Rex.
Its worth staying.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Coaching Search

From the Boca News I like what Rex said this has got to be the guy. I don't think he is blowing smoke up anyones butt.

Doherty accepts SMU offer; search begins for FAU
Walters an early candidate for job, but FAU AD won't rule out making another splash

Published Monday, April 24, 2006
by Hannon Deutsch

Some suggest Florida Atlantic was fortunate to lure a big-name coach like Matt Doherty to a program void of any national exposure. The fortune that was bestowed upon FAU left as quickly as it came on Monday, as Doherty reached terms with Southern Methodist that will reportedly increase his pay $400,00.
Doherty, 44, had a $200,000 buyout clause included in his contract if he elected to be released before his second season. He was supposed to get annual raises for the duration of the seven-year contract, which paid him $171,000 the first year.

Doherty replaces Jimmy Tubbs, who was fired April 6 after an internal investigation revealed NCAA violations.

As far as conducting a search is concerned, FAU Athletic Director Craig Angelos need not look far if assistant coach Rex Walters is interested in staying. Walters was in Washington D.C. on Saturday for recruiting purposes and has expressed interest in the position.

The question for Angelos remains two-fold: Can Walters boost revenue, increase the fan base and get people to donate to the program like Doherty did, all while raising the profile of the program? Angelos said reaching an agreement with another big-name coach who could bolt after one season is not out of the question if he could continue to generate revenue. Like he did with Doherty, standard procedure would call for a buyout clause. Because next year's recruiting class has already signed, Angelos said "time is not of the essence" when finding a replacement.

"People are interested," Angelos said. "I will try to find another Matt Doherty if I can. You never know we might get lucky like we did last year."

According to Walters, Doherty pondered the decision to leave FAU even with a huge raise dangling above his head.

"Coach Doherty had a moment of pause and turned down the offer when it first happened," Walters said. "They pursued and showed him how much they wanted him."

If Walters were named the next head coach of FAU, the system Doherty installed would remain intact. That means continuity for current players like DeAndre Rice, who said there is a strong possibility he would consider leaving if Walters were not his coach next season.

"We've come a long way in such a short period of time," Walters said. "I feel like I'm the person to get the job done. That's why I stayed. SMU is a heckuva deal. But I think we have something special here.

"All my life I've been waiting for a head coaching position," Walters said. "As a young kid I wanted to build a program and lead young men. I've played for Pat Riley, Roy Williams, Stan Van Gundy, Chuck Daly and Larry Brown. I wasn't a great player, but I worked for everything. I take that same approach in practice, recruiting and preparation."

Walters has received backing by the players. But at the same time he fully understands the procedure an institution has to take.

"They have to look into different possibilities," Walters said, "and it wouldn't be fair if they didn't. I'm confident and hopeful they realize I'm the best candidate."

Back to the top

Coaching Search

Marcus Nelson updated his blog, in it he states that Van Gundy has no interest in the job. He also states that some big names FAU is looking to talk to are Mike Jarvis (formerly St. John's), Rick Majerus (formerly Utah) and Rod Barnes(formerly Ole Miss).

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/faublog/entries/2006/04/25/fau_hoops_search_day_2.h tml

Personally, I'm glad about Van Gundy. I doubt Majerus or Mike Jarvis would come. I'd be concerned about Majerus health. And neither man is getting any younger. Somebody made a comment on the blog about youth and I agree that I would like a coach who could come in and turn the program into a good one and stick with it for a long time. Majerus and Jarvis have been around awhile. Barnes is fairly young but he has had major experience so will cost a lot of money. I still like Walters somebody has to give great coaches a chance. Walters could turn out to be one.
Back to the top
Control functions: