Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

How will you do in the SBC?

Add topic

Realistically, how do you expect to do in Sun Belt basketball next season?
Back to the top

I think eveyone is waiting to see how this whole Doherty thing works out.

I'll give my opinion (Not that it's worth much) once this is settled and the commitments are taken care of. I think we all just want to support the team right now.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

If all the guys stay for next season and Rex signs on as head coach, I'd expect the team to be about .500 in conference…maybe slightly below overall.

A lot of people don't realize how big a step up the Sun Belt is from the A-Sun. We got killed by USF this year and they couldn't win a game in the Big East. Granted the Sun Belt isn't the big east but it's not the A-Sun either. If Rex is able to bring in quality recruits like we have with this class….i'd expect to be near the top of the league in 2-3 years.
Back to the top

That may be true but how much better will they be the year after. If Rex is the man he has a head start on what was to be so he knows exactly where to go. He is coming to a program that he had some input and knowledge. We can start the speculating and calculating our thoughts on future seasons as soon as Angelos makes his decision.
Back to the top

RhodeIslandOwl said

A lot of people don't realize how big a step up the Sun Belt is from the A-Sun. We got killed by USF this year and they couldn't win a game in the Big East. Granted the Sun Belt isn't the big east but it's not the A-Sun either.

It is a big step up, FIU was at the bottom of the Sun Belt and we beat USF, so that shows you a little. Also, I really think it's unfortunate that Doherty did that to you guys. I understand he wants a bigger institution but that seems just plain disrespectful, it wasn't Kansas or Duke calling, it was SMU ::) I'd be pissed as hell if it was here at FIU. Hope you guys get the coach you want, I want this rivalry to grow into every sport.

Panthers on the Rise
Back to the top

Yea MaXx it does suck that the guy pulled what he did and its really not so much that he took another job in such a short period but what he said when he came to FAU and it now looks like a big bunch of BULL.
I believe this will be as big a rivalry as some of the older established programs. It will get there and what is kind of interesting is that both programs are moving at the same pace. One may jump a little one year then the other. But both will grow together and that will be the interesting part.
Back to the top

MICHAELSPAPPY said

Realistically, how do you expect to do in Sun Belt basketball next season?

I hate what Doherty did to FAU. And for SMU? C'mon. CUSA isn't much better than the Sun Belt.

I tell you what though, it isn't just men's basketball where FAU will be greatly challenged. Women's basketball is top-notch in the Sun Belt. Sun Belt women's basketball isn't just good, it's scary good. Florida Atlantic will compete in the East Division, and to be honest I will be shocked if Chancellor Dugan can coach her incoming squad to a division placing higher than fourth and seventh in the Sun Belt overall.

I'm more into the women's game than I am the men's, but only 'cause our women's team actually plays with heart and soul and doesn't typically lose to teams they should beat though that has happened. So different from our football team.

Lookin' at the women Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, and Florida International will likely sit ahead of FAU. Troy and South Alabama will also be in our division with FAU, but I think FAU can beat those teams.

Looking over to the West Division I like Arkansas State to be at the top followed by North Texas and Louisiana. Louisiana-Monroe also moves into the league and they'll play in the West as well. They'll likely finish fourth followed by Arkansas-Little Rock, Denver, and New Orleans.

It sure will be interesting to see how things turnabout next year. It's really hard to say. Sun Belt membership should enhance the type of athletes FAU gets. Let's face it. Recruits will find it more appealing to play recognizable basketball names like South Alabama and Western Kentucky as opposed to Garner-Webb, Stetson, or Belmont.
Back to the top

I think FAU will not do well overall for a couple of years…the players and coaches will learn the hard way that they need to work harder and longer than they do now…this ain't Lipscomb, Belmont and Campell anymore these are real state schools with some serious talent

I do think that FAU will adapt and eventually compete in all sports, but the mentality will have to change first
Back to the top

Ther are very positive signs of that now and Men's Basketball is headed that way for sure. rex is no ones fool, he is young but has some very solid experience. The women's sports has definitly shown they will be ready. The Gear up process is in motion no doubt about it. ;)
Back to the top

I agree that men's basketball is headed in that direction. You can tell that Rex is working the guys from his press conference. I still believe though that many of the other sports are in for a rude awakening….
Back to the top
Control functions: