Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Shomari Earls had good NFL combines

Heard he may get a FA look by a few teams. They're impressed with his cover speed for a guy his size. If he get a shot he will make it with someone.

Good Luck Shomari.
Back to the top

Was he actually invited to the combine in Indianapolis or did only do private workouts for teams. Any news on his numbers in his workouts?? GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

No he wasn't invited to the combines. He had individual workouts.

I think the Vikings still have him on their radar as well as a few other teams.

Here's a clip from a Baltimore Message Board.

Read On:

Derek, Jersey City, N.J.: What are the current prospects that Florida Atlantic linebacker Shomari Earls will be drafted?

Bill Ordine: Earls was a productive player at a smaller program that was transitioning from I-AA to I-A. As a senior, he was the team's defensive MVP and was its leading tackler two years in a row. The question is what are his chances to be drafted in a year when linebacker is considered one of the deepest positions on the board. Frankly, they're probably less than 50-50. Last year, more than 30 linebackers were taken in the seven rounds but the conventional ratings put Shomari below that cutoff figure compared to the other LBs coming out. As either a low-round pick or an undrafted free agent, some team will have to look past his measurables, he has 4.8 speed, and be impressed with his production on tape.

This site have him rated at #29 out of 81 ILB's.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=21911
Back to the top

The 4.8 speed isn't a very good showing at all. I would have expected him to run a sub 4.7 time, probably around a 4.65 or so. If he could do that he would be more impressive. I didn't see him or any other FAU players listed on the ESPN insider draft site. Hopefully he will at least get a look and get an invite to camp. GO OWLS!!!

Is there anyone else out there that might have a shot at the next level??

Back to the top

Supposedly he has run a better time than that one. The high 4.6 range. But that's the only one which is posted on that particular site..
Willie Hughley definitely looks very suspect?

Here's another site with a better time.

FLORIDA ATLANTIC: MARCH 2
There were representatives from 17 teams. There were about 15 players present (some of whom last played for FAU in 2004), and they ran outdoors on grass.

Player Position Gil's comments
Shomari Earls ILB Earls (6-1?, 253 pounds) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.71 and 4.73 seconds, and he looked good in workouts with a 33-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-5 broad jump, a 4.23 short shuttle, an 11.69 long shuttle, a 7.12 three-cone drill and 16 reps in the bench press.

Willie Hughley CB Hughley (5-10 3/8, 175 pounds) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.71 and 4.73 seconds. He also had a 36-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot-1 broad jump, a 4.32 short shuttle, an 11.64 long shuttle, a 7.12 three-cone drill and eight bench presses.
Back to the top

OG,
that site has Earls and Hughley running identical 40 times, twice? That seems somewhat suspect, don't ya think?

looking at shomari, you see a prototypical backer, but in all honesty, i felt he really underperformed last year, perhaps a result of losing laskowski. physically, earls is closer to nfl ready than any other player to come out of fau, hopefully, he is able to put it all together and represent the owls!
Back to the top

Baller07,
Yes it is strange that their numbers are the same! That entire process can be misleading.

Shomari may get a look late in the draft or 1st day of FA signing.
Back to the top

The 4.7 times are much better for Earls. He has great size. My concern for both Earls and Hughley has to do with strength. 16 reps at 225 is extremely week for a 250+ lb linebacker the same goes for the 8 that Hughley put up. The guys really need to hit the gym. If the 40 times are correct for Hughley he doesn't stand a chance. A speedster can afford to be undersized and a big guy can afford to be slow. Willie Hughley is undersized and slow for a CB. Lets hope those times are wrong and the 4.71 is really a 4.41. GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

He got ripped in the Sentinel today.

FAU prospects slim

Florida Atlantic probably will have to wait at least another year before one of its players is drafted.

Middle linebacker Shomari Earls was the Owls' top player last season, but draft projections have him signing as a free agent.

"His lack of athleticism is readily apparent when in [pass] coverage and it is this liability that will likely keep him from being drafted," said analyst Rob Rand of NFLDraftScout.com.

Rand said Earls (6 feet 2, 250 pounds) has trouble breaking free of blocks, and "lacks the speed to the flanks" that teams are looking for.

Earls' agent, Hadley Engelhard, said "He had an excellent workout for the Dolphins. He's one of the few true middle linebackers out there."

Two FAU players signed as free agents last year are hoping to contend for roster. Quarterback Jared Allen, who was signed by Tampa Bay, is playing in NFL Europe and linebacker Chris Laskowski was on the Colts scout squad last season and is working out in Indianapolis.
Back to the top

that is extremely week. I can bench more than that and I sit behind a desk all day.
Back to the top
Control functions: